Lead poisoning from eating game shot with lead core bullets?

I was big into casting lead bullets for a couple years. I was melting the wheel weights and making the alloy then casting the bullets. I never wore gloves or used any masks. I got my lead levels tested because I was handling it every day. They were normal. I did figure they would have to be a little elevated, but they were not.

Not to put on the tinfoil hat, but the anti lead bird stuff just don't smell right. I think it's more a case of them finding a dead bird with lead in it, this gives the the excuse it's what killed it. Kinda like the corona deaths, seems no one has died from flu or cold this year.

I am starting to like the hammer bullets, I don't like what I see with normal mono bullets.

Last edited:
This sounds like some Hammer bullet nonsense to me?
Yup, Hammer Bullets was out in 2009
Wow, you guys have no love. But you're late to the game - it was Goldstein, generations before Hammer was born, and some guy named Barnes too.
It's real, YMMV, anecdotal evidence is king. The three most common pathways are inhalation, ingestion and direct injection. Prime examples of the last type often happen in high concentration population centers.
I dont know why some people are affected by it and others, not. My anecdotal case: a friend's wife suffers from heavy metal poisoning, mostly Pb. Insurance wont cover many treatment regimens. He's emptied his savings and retirement on those. Having known her before and after, it's a sad thing to watch and a horrible way to die.

California is worried about the Condor eating lead. Found one dead from drinking Anti-freeze are they going to outlaw it ,too. California is the tree hugger state. Mountain Loin are not hunted . Now there are hunts to reduce population . Special Permits are required to hunt loins.

Last edited:
Wow, you guys have no love. But you're late to the game - it was Goldstein, generations before Hammer was born, and some guy named Barnes too.
It's real, YMMV, anecdotal evidence is king. The three most common pathways are inhalation, ingestion and direct injection. Prime examples of the last type often happen in high concentration population centers.
I dont know why some people are affected by it and others, not. My anecdotal case: a friend's wife suffers from heavy metal poisoning, mostly Pb. Insurance wont cover many treatment regimens. He's emptied his savings and retirement on those. Having known her before and after, it's a sad thing to watch and a horrible way to die.

To clarify, my post was sarcasm, I have and will use Hammer bullets in the future.

Geez, how did a simple question turn to bashing a non-lead bullet manufacturer. Like it or not, lead poisoning exist ... and yes, I still used bullets with lead. Numerous empirical data are available for people to synthesize, what one does with the information is entirely up to an individual. No different on cigarette warning, people still smoke and die from lung cancer. And yes, I used to be a 3-packer but I quit in 1982. Unfortunately, I lost my brother from lung cancer a few years ago. He quit too late but he knows the risks associated from smoking. I also lost a sister from 2nd hand smoke.

We have the ultimate responsibility of our actions and the consequences associated with it.

Cheers!

careful with Christmas lights in CA too --only in CA though

and apparently in purses too --https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/lead-lurking-in-purses-wallets-and-sandals/1923219/
I found it humorous the article says "women touch them daily : shoes purses, and wallets" -- then I noticed this was from the "bay area" news-- wouldn't that mean that men touch them daily too? at least in the bay area that is 🤪

apparently you cant wear pants in CA either : https://www.ksl.com/article/27711857/what-does-warning-label-from-california-really-mean

lots of indoor shooting ranges prohibit lead or lead based bullets--now that we are all wearing those great CV-19 home made cotton masks that filter out "everything" we can go back to shooting lead bullets inside now, right ?

it all comes down to how much you actually touch or ingest --AW did the right thing and got tested, now he knows for sure

Is this a thing?? Sounds nuts to me, but a member of this forum is claiming its dangerous. I have checked with google and couldn't find anything substantive to support the claim.

I lived through the steel versus lead debate and saw first hand what the results were.
With birds, lead had an effect because some of the birds actually eat the pellets/bullet fragments because they don't know the difference and get sick.

With ducks, they pick up the shot if they feed on the bottom and if it is hard they may pick up a few, but most of the time ducks they are in mud bottoms and the shot sink well below their reach in the mud. The big change came with increased losses in game birds, and more loses in animals. When we were forced to switch to steel shot, populations of both ducks and the scavengers went down.

In some areas, lead did effect the populations of scavengers but a lot of this problem stemmed from
Game not being recovered with more effort.

The difference with game animals shot with a rifle is a totally different scenario. because we don't normally eat the wound channel area because of the quality and the fact that it is blood shot. If you do a proper job of processing the game you will probably never ingest even a small piece of lead if any.

It's a case of one in a million events, becoming an every day problem created by those that don't want us to hunt or shoot and in realty, It becomes the leads fault and you must be protected from it just like the gun it's self.

Clean your game properly and don't worry about something that is non existent. Lead poisoning is real so care should be exorcised but eating any heavy metals can be bad for you
so don't eat bullets or the effected areas and live long.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I was big into casting lead bullets for a couple years. I was melting the wheel weights and making the alloy then casting the bullets. I never wore gloves or used any masks. I got my lead levels tested because I was handling it every day. They were normal. I did figure they would have to be a little elevated, but they were not.

In 1980 one of my job in CA was electroplating. Even though I used gloves, protective clothing, and respirator, I still get tested for lead poisoning/exposure once a year for nearly 8 years due to lead anodes. All tests were at safe levels.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.