Who cast and load lead for big game?

My dad does for lots of guns, mostly pistols, but hunts with his 20" 1892 chambered in .44 mag. His is a modified Lee mould I believe? Used to be like a 265 grain hollow point, but he ground it off to make it a flat point, and it is now 290 grains with pure lead. Lee melting pot also. Kills elk well enough.

Screenshot_20220224-165629_Contacts.jpg

He uses a mix of Lee, RCBS and Lyman. Mostly Lee, because they are WAY cheaper and he doesn't have any issues with the aluminum Lee moulds, however he managed to get about $1200 worth of RCBS and Lyman moulds of various types from a yardsale for $250 a few months ago, mostly single and double cavity, and says they cast great bullets too, just not really "better" than the Lee moulds, so not worth the normal cost is his opinion.

Last edited:
So you came by the hunting itch naturally!
Nice cow elk and I bet it was good eating.
Thanks,I cast for my 44 mag 310 gr and 45 lc as well as 45ACP but new to rifles.
Do you know the make of the moulds he is using?

If you're not committed to one of the big, old names in bullet molds ....take a look at Accurate Molds. He has more bullet designs available than you can imagine. He offers in steel, brass, and aluminum. He even offers a single mold with different calibers or bullet weights. I got a 4 cavity mold made up of 2 cavities each for my 460 and my 45-70. He will even do custom molds to your specifications.His molds are pretty reasonably priced!

These are the only molds that I'll buy from now on! memtb

I'm working my way into rifle, been casting and powder coating pistol a long time- 9mm, 357, 45acp and 45 LC. Look into Arsenal Molds......I have 3 or 4 of their larger molds and really like them for production. I feel for the money they are a bargain. Currently the only rifle I cast for is 25-35, but a have a few old 30 cal molds around. Old Lyman, RCBS, and some Lee aluminums. I have a few different mixes I use depending on the bullet. I have lead calculator sheet I downloaded that's really handy for mixes. To give credit where it's due, there is a link below if you'd like to download load it.

I've made my own cast bullets for handguns and rifles for over 50 years. Most of my molds are Lyman but I have a few Saeco and RCBS as well. I started with 16:1 lead/tin, but currently use several lead/tin/antimony alloys. While I have cast for 9mm, .38/.357, .44, and .45 handguns; I focus on .30 caliber rifle bullets. If you will tell us what caliber rifles you may want to cast for, perhaps we could suggest specific mold numbers. -Ed

Hi, I'm sorry for my ignorance and am seeking real world advice, not trying to start anything. Do the high FPS of rifles cause "excessive" leading or do the harder alloys help with this. Again, just seeking real advice 😊

Hi, I'm sorry for my ignorance and am seeking real world advice, not trying to start anything. Do the high FPS of rifles cause "excessive" leading or do the harder alloys help with this. Again, just seeking real advice 😊

Proper sizing (slug your bore for exact size), good bullet lubes, alloy hardness, and gas checks all contribute to good accuracy and minimal leading when pushing cast bullets pretty hard.

Powder coating cast bullets has added a whole new dimension to cast bullet shooting. Minimizing fouling (lead and bullet lube), they can be pushed to pretty high velocities, often increase accuracy and is not difficult to do. I've only been powder coating about 3 years, it's a little tedious, but well worth the effort!

With all the bases covered, 2200 + fps mv is quite doable with cast bullets! Though, I keep mine below 2000 fps. memtb

Last edited:
Proper sizing (slug your bore for exact size), good bullet lubes, alloy hardness, and gas checks all contribute to good accuracy and minimal leading when pushing cast bullets pretty hard.

Powder coating cast bullets has added a whole new dimension to cast bullet shooting. Minimizing fouling (lead and bullet lube), they can be pushed to pretty high velocities, often increase accuracy and is not difficult to do. I've only been powder coating about 3 years, it's a little tedious, but well worth the effort!

With all the bases covered, 2200 fps plus is quite doable with cast bullets! memtb
Thank you, I've read about powder coating and it looks really good. I'm excited about trying this. I'd be interested in .308 and maybe 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 Grendel. Thanks again for your input.