Who cast and load lead for big game?

old rooster : what you considering big game ? Also check out the different types of lube . All mine are Lyman molds. Have a few furnaces also made one to melt lead keel's from old sailboats when using lead back then and with the recent hurricane's the towns decided it was time to clean up the old junks, made out ok with that call and helped them clean up for the pickings. Some of the older molds are discontinued may need to find in auctions-garage sales remember that you'll need the top punch for that die. Not all seating stems are the same.
Thanks for the advice.
I consider Mule Deer and Elk and Black Bear as big game.Living in Montana allows me some rich memories of past hunts.
I used to pass by yard sales and garage sales but as of now I will find them and go through their stuff.

If anyone decides on powder coated bullets, and not requiring lube/sizing,take a look at what the folks have to offer for sizing dies. You can use your loading press ,much stronger and more leverage than your sizer/lubricator!

Somewhat similar to the Lee system, but you can push bullets through the die tip or base forward. You can specify exactly what size die you need for your application! Once you have the basic system, adding additional calibers is very inexpensive....making the system much cheaper than the Lee system!

The website generally gives me heck....but with luck and patience you can navigate it! They make molds as well as the sizing system! memtb

Memtb this is one of the hardest sites to get a mold.I was told to call them and tell them what you want and that may work.
Did you notice almost all molds are sold out?They must be good.
I read about 1/2 of Terminal Ballistic's and will finish it later.Good stuff

Memtb this is one of the hardest sites to get a mold.I was told to call them and tell them what you want and that may work.
Did you notice almost all molds are sold out?They must be good.
I read about 1/2 of Terminal Ballistic's and will finish it later.Good stuff

I get my molds from Accurate Molds....very good service with huge selection. Bought a bunch of different caliber sizing dies from NOE. Very difficult to get in touch with, only successful by telephone. Once contacted....they responded well! memtb

Kickeer in post 16 I listed the calibers I want to cast for,again,308,30-06,300 win mag all of these are .308 bullets(30 Cal) in bolt action rifles and 358 win is.358 caliber in a lever action Browning BLR .I already cast for 45-70 Lever rifle and many handguns but with things getting worse I may want to load for rifle cartridges.
Sir I cannot find Nosler 180 gr Accubond nor 180 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips,Nor Nosler 180 gr Partitions,Hornady Interbonds in 30 cal, 165 308 Sierra HPBT#2140 bullets.I can find bullets that I will have to re-work up loads for but with supplies hard to find I don't want to run out of the little supplies I do have.
I didn't say 6.5 creed or 6.5 Grendel although I do own 2 Grendel's.The 30 cal bolt rifles are my main usage.
I am a member on Cast Boolits forum but spend most of my time here so I asked my friends.
I'd like 243 and 3006 I do myself. Drive on thank you.

I'm using Lee molds with great success for 308, 338, and 44 Mag. rifles, plus .355 and .357 for pistols. I use wheel weights, plus a bit of antimony and tin. I drop all my bullets in cold water to increase surface hardness! They shoot great! I use models with a flat nose for all my pistols for more 'Shock' effect!

I'm using Lee molds with great success for 308, 338, and 44 Mag. rifles, plus .355 and .357 for pistols. I use wheel weights, plus a bit of antimony and tin. I drop all my bullets in cold water to increase surface hardness! They shoot great! I use models with a flat nose for all my pistols for more 'Shock' effect!
Do you know what muzzle velocity your getting with the .308?
Thanks

Had pretty good luck with Lyman and Lee moulds and sizing equipment for the past 50 years. There's an outfit in MT , town of Bonner, by name of Montana Bullet Works. Guy tells a lot of good info about casting and his stuff really shoots. Been shootN those Lyman 535grs out of a 30 inch Badger barrel, they are weight matched and half dollar coin could cover a group at 100 yards. The best thing is he has the mould #'s listed so, if it works good in ur rifle, ya can just order up that mould then, cast ur own by god, good luck!

Last edited:
Most of my shooting involves using my own cast bullets.
I started out using used wheel weights.
About 15 years ago they were no longer made of lead alloys.
One supplier disappeared after Covid came on the scene.
For higher velocity loads I use gas checked bullets.
Gas checks are in short supply.
I have a Lee production pot.
It's a Best Buy.
Molds I have came from Lyman, saeco, NOE, Accurate, Lee, Redding.
Calf elk, deer, bear, have been harvested using Lyman 428421 mold for Bullets used in my Old Model Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 magnum revolver.
I only used gas checks for my 6.5 and 30 caliber bullets.