Who cast and load lead for big game?

No problems getting lead in the mail so far.UPS is the one that delivered some 2 years ago for my pistols.
Like others I cast for 357 mag,44 mag,45 LC,45 ACP and 45-70 and powder coat the bullets.
I learned a long time ago for my 44 mag rifle to slug your barrel like Memtd said.My 44 mag pistol slugged at .428 but 44 mag rifle slugged at .430.For the bullet to obturate to seal the barrel/bullet so no gas goes around the bullet causing leading.Slug barrels,don't guess.
I want to cast for 308 win,30-06,300 win mag and for my 358 win.I already have cast for 45-70 but have not cast any in the last 10 years.
With things getting worse I want all my options on the table!

Last edited:
No problems getting lead in the mail so far.UPS is the one that delivered some 2 years ago for my pistols.
Like others I cast for 357 mag,44 mag,45 LC,45 ACP and 45-70 and powder coat the bullets.
I learned a long time ago for my 44 mag rifle to slug your barrel like Memtd said.My 44 mag pistol slugged at .428 but 44 mag rifle slugged at .430.For the bullet to obturate you have to seal the barrel/bullet so no gas goes around the bullet causing leading.Slug barrels,don't guess.
I want to cast for 308 win,30-06,300 win mag and for my 358 win.I already have cast for 45-70 but have not cast any in the last 10 years.
With things getting worse I want all my options on the table!
I'm interested in how those calibers will work out , I'll keep an eye out for info on the subject also .
Good luck, just come up with a formula for a bullet that will make the big manufacturers take a look. 👍

My first question which brand of bullet are you finding hard to find. Later on in the thread you said .308, 6.5 creed, 6.5 grendal. .308 and 6.5 mm bullets are plentiful. I have stocked up in the last week 168 grain match .308, (140, 142, 147, 156) 140 Hornady HPBT Match, 142 HPBT Sierra , 147 ELD Hornady, 156 Bergers. Also, you dont mention bullet diameter, caliber, bolt action or lever action. Their a plenty of on line cast bullet manufacturers that cast 30-30 , 44 Mag, 44lc, 45-70 gov.

My first question which brand of bullet are you finding hard to find. Later on in the thread you said .308, 6.5 creed, 6.5 grendal. .308 and 6.5 mm bullets are plentiful. I have stocked up in the last week 168 grain match .308, (140, 142, 147, 156) 140 Hornady HPBT Match, 142 HPBT Sierra , 147 ELD Hornady, 156 Bergers. Also, you dont mention bullet diameter, caliber, bolt action or lever action. Their a plenty of on line cast bullet manufacturers that cast 30-30 , 44 Mag, 44lc, 45-70 gov.
Not that .308 or the 6.5's are hard to find, but very interested in casting my own. I like playing with stuff 😊

I cast for 30/30 and my Shiloh Sharps 1874 45-70. I buy all my lead from this source.

https://www.rotometals.com/1-to-20-bullet-alloy-ingot-95-lead-5-tin-5lb-ingot. I use Lyman Molds as you can find them in stock. the mold manufactures that were listed are another good choice for a custom set up. Basically you can design your own mold based off a chamber cast. Or send them the chamber cast and they will make the mold.

Another question for the thread. What alloys/hardness is everyone using? Thanks again

Plain ole wheel weight since 1972 ish! They're hard enough for most applications. You can temper them for increased hardness! I'm running my 430 grainers from my 45-70 at 1800 mv. Could push to the limits of my Marlin....but, this is a "sweet" load! Not worth pushing it any harder!

Good wheel weights are increasingly hard to get! Most now are of something not good for casting! Thank You EPA and government!

For anyone truley interested in cast bullet shooting, you need to go to Cast Boolits (yes boolits) Forum. They have answers to questions you never thought to ask! 😉 memtb

Last edited:
Plain ole wheel weight since 1972 ish! They're hard enough for most applications. You can temper them for increased hardness! I'm running my 430 grainers from my 45-70 at 1800 mv. Could push to the limits of my Marlin....but, this is a "sweet" load! Not worth pushing it any harder!

Good wheel weights are increasingly hard to get! Most now are of something not good for casting! Thank You EPA and government!

For anyone truley interested in cast bullet shooting, you need to go to Cast Boolits (yes boolits) Forum. They have answers to questions you never thought to ask! 😉 memtb
Totally forgot about that forum. The biggest thing I learned is getting the mixture just right, and keeping the mold hot enough. One good thing though is, if you make a mistake just put back into kettle and re-melt.

Kickeer in post 16 I listed the calibers I want to cast for,again,308,30-06,300 win mag all of these are .308 bullets(30 Cal) in bolt action rifles and 358 win is.358 caliber in a lever action Browning BLR .I already cast for 45-70 Lever rifle and many handguns but with things getting worse I may want to load for rifle cartridges.
Sir I cannot find Nosler 180 gr Accubond nor 180 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips,Nor Nosler 180 gr Partitions,Hornady Interbonds in 30 cal, 165 308 Sierra HPBT#2140 bullets.I can find bullets that I will have to re-work up loads for but with supplies hard to find I don't want to run out of the little supplies I do have.
I didn't say 6.5 creed or 6.5 Grendel although I do own 2 Grendel's.The 30 cal bolt rifles are my main usage.
I am a member on Cast Boolits forum but spend most of my time here so I asked my friends.

Another question for the thread. What alloys/hardness is everyone using? Thanks again
I got my lead bars from Roto-Metals as listed above by Kickeer but for 45-70 I use 4 ounces of SuperHard bar and a bar of lead with 3%Antimony and Tin.
That gives me about 22 on the hardness scale which is Hard Cast but if I cast for my 30 calibers I don't want it that hard as with a softer lead compound it gets a bit larger as it hits resistance,Hard Cast won't or so I was told.Don't know which works best as I have killed an elk and a black bear with Hard Cast and they fell within 10 feet of where they were hit.
Thats why I wanted to ask those that do it all the time.