Lead poisoning from eating game shot with lead core bullets?

Great list and great information Feenix! There is a great deal of research on the effects of lead on eagles and birds of prey as they ingest the gut piles which presumably contain higher levels of lead than the meat we take home. Just google "lead poisoning of eagles. Minnesota has alot of press coverage on it.

Dont know what you use now, but as far as fragmentation goes, "match type" bullets may be king in this regard. Though most lead core bullets shed/fragment 25-60% of their original weight.

This sounds like some Hammer bullet nonsense to me?

My grand father basically lived on what he killed. He used a R700 30-06 with Remington 180 grain Cor lokt his entire hunting career. Killed deer in season, out of season, you name it. That was his food source, call it whatever you like. But nobody in my family has ever had lead poison issues and I hate monos.

I can't confirm or deny either way . But on thanksgiving day of 98 my dad fell out of his tree stand while rifle hunting . Life flight came and flew him to the hospital after packing him out to the nearest gas well location that was the only clear place to land for a few miles.
When they put him through all the bells and whistles at the hospital to see what all was broke and damaged the doctor came in and was very adamant that my father had been shot with a shotgun. Dad ask why him why he thought that he'd been shot with a shotgun? The doctor put up the x ray of dads mid section and low and behold it looked like he had been shot with a shotgun lead pellets all in his stomach area. The only conclusion was where dad had ingested them eating small game . If memory serves me right there was 24 of them total.
Dad passed away in 2010 but it wasn't from lead poisoning

This sounds like some Hammer bullet nonsense to me?

My grand father basically lived on what he killed. He used a R700 30-06 with Remington 180 grain Cor lokt his entire hunting career. Killed deer in season, out of season, you name it. That was his food source, call it whatever you like. But nobody in my family has ever had lead poison issues and I hate monos.

(Sarcasm font activated) "Yup, Hammer Bullets was out in 2009 sponsoring research to prove that lead bullets poison people so everyone would freak out about it and only shoot his bullets to avoid a slow painful death." (Sarcasm font deactivated)

Last edited:
This was just covered in another thread, and no, it's not real. Another respondent brought up a Norwegian study where folks ate game birds killed with lead shot 7 days a week, and their lead levels went up a little but that was it. You have to really examine the data on this carefully as there is a massive anti-lead bullet movement actively spreading propaganda. When you actually look at medical journals, though, there is little evidence.

Amazing to think of all the things Kalifornia worries about. No lead bullets for game you intend to consume yourself, but you can take dump on the sidewalk in San Francisco and walk away from it (note if your dog does the same and you don't pick it up it is a ticketable offense). Thank God they are striving to remove all the hard decisions for us.

This lead ammo is killing everything is analogous to what we saw with the coronavirus in some areas.

Coronavirus bad, coronavirus can cause death, therefore, anything ever having coronavirus died of coronavirus. Doesn't matter if the guy fell 20 stories to his death, if he had tested positive for coronavirus, guess what killed him...

Lead can be bad, guns are bad, guns use lead ammo, lead was found in animals that died, lead ammo is killing all the animals.

Lead ammo is highly processed and pretty dang inert, you have problems with studies that never did the analysis to determine what type of lead, what the source of the lead was, that killed the animal. Was it from naturally occurring lead, was it from bullets, did they actually die from the lead, or just have lead in their system but were still noted in deaths from lead...

Having atomized lead sprayed into your mouth isn't a good idea, it's wildly different than highly processed and stable lead used in ammunition.

I think there was a US Forestry or some study done a few years back, trying to find all these raptors dying from lead ammunition, that didn't find a single case of a death from lead ammunition. I think they found a couple cases of death from lead, but it was analyzed further, like it should have been, and determined not to have been from lead ammunition.

Many studies don't care to do that, or perhaps couldn't because of technology at the time, etc... It becomes an easy, animal had lead in system, therefore lead ammunition needs to be banned, it's killing all these animals.

However, I didn't link the study because I don't have it saved, so this can all be noted as strictly opinion or hearsay if you wish.

It's something I've been meaning to look further into actual research, but my initial feelings are that range days, especially with suppressed tactical weapons where you fire a lot would be much more exposure than game meat. Especially big game where you usually leave the boiler room and cut away bloodshot meat.

I'm open to having my mind changed but would need a significant amount of data from studies I didn't toss in the garbage. As an evil scientist that makes corn and soy for a living and competes for game tags I agree with Alex everyone here should eat more corn and soy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.