Lead poisoning from eating game shot with lead core bullets?

Is this a thing?? Sounds nuts to me, but a member of this forum is claiming its dangerous. I have checked with google and couldn't find anything substantive to support the claim.
Well, I'm 55 and my father is 79 and we've eaten a lot of game meat, doves, geese, ducks, quail etc. and never had a trace of lead issues. Also, all of our family members and friends that eat the same have never had a problem with it. I think this is another whisper campaign to strike fear in people.

Well, I'm 55 and my father is 79 and we've eaten a lot of game meat, doves, geese, ducks, quail etc. and never had a trace of lead issues. Also, all of our family members and friends that eat the same have never had a problem with it. I think this is another whisper campaign to strike fear in people.
Bit into a lot of #6, #5, and #4's, the 7's and 8's were probably not detected by mouth. I think I finally found an excuse for my under-achievements! ;)

When I was in college, one of my fellow student's was and ex black P-stones gang member from Chicago. He was in the process of trying to turn his live around and get his education. Anyway, one day in our lab class we were using solder on our circuit board projects, and our professor was reading down the risks of the lead alloy solder we were using, and how to limit our exposure. When my fellow student exclaimed how that several young men that he had grown up with had died from lead poisoning.
My professor had a puzzled look on his face and started talking about how high the concentration levels would have to be to harm a healthy young man, and that almost all dangerous levels of lead were found in small children who had been eating very old and oxidized paint chips from run down building or from old lead pipes.
When I piped up and said, NO he meant the HOT variety!

I appreciate and and understand your position. And you are right, you would be foolish to criticize anyone's work in any scientific journal; especially since you have not published yet.

Sorry, but you do not understand my position. It is obvious that you and I have differences in opinions, beliefs, and values. Having a peer-reviewed, accredited, and published empirical work has nothing to do with it as it does not make me any better to criticize another researcher's work. "IF" I have a problem with it, I would pick up where the researcher left off and fill the research gap and add to the knowledge base and for others to add or build upon for further or future research.

The best you can do to learn the most from your own research is to go to the expert in your field of study that you trust (other than your Academic advisor) and ask them to read your research and give them a print-out so that they can make comments and suggestions in writing and give it back to you before you turn it in to your Advisor.

Sorry but my Academic Advisor (simply schedules my classes and provide advice as required about the program) has nothing to do with my research study and no that is not how the process work.

Once it goes to ProQuest it is most likely you will get little or no meaningful feedback.

Sorry but that is not how the process works either. Once it is published, the researcher is not asking for meaningful feedback, as it is no longer needed. That is what a research gap does. There should be a recommendation for future studies that the next researcher has the opportunity to build upon and add to the knowledge base. Below is extracted from page138 of 156 of https://britishbirds.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/76818-OLS-Report-final.pdf#page=29 posted in #2.

More research.JPG

There are studies that have more specific recommendations than the above.

I know you have been taught the value of peer review and the good goal of adding to the empirical record of knowledge. But the peer process does not always work as it should.

@GunHawk and @DNADave eloquently covered the human aspect, peer-review and IRB, and the overall nature of a research study. As previously noted, my research study will go through multiple levels of review processes between the IRB and AQRs.

The bottom-line, again as previously noted, it is up to individuals to synthesize the information being presented and they have the ultimate responsibility for their decision(s) and the consequences associated with it. If they choose to use lead or copper bullet, not discard meat around the wound channel, etc., that is their right. As @Tulsa Reiner, noted ...

Each of us gets to pick his or her own poison.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Sorry, but you do not understand my position. It is obvious that you and I have differences in opinions, beliefs, and values. Having a peer-reviewed, accredited, and published empirical work has nothing to do with it as it does not make me any better to criticize another researcher's work. "IF" I have a problem with it, I would pick up where the researcher left off and fill the research gap and add to the knowledge base and for others to add or build upon for further or future research.

Sorry but my Academic Advisor (simply schedules my classes and provide advice as required about the program) has nothing to do with my research study and no that is not how the process work.

Sorry but that is not how the process works either. Once it is published, the researcher is not asking for meaningful feedback, as it is no longer needed. That is what a research gap does. There should be a recommendation for future studies that the next researcher has the opportunity to build upon and add to the knowledge base. Below is extracted from page138 of 156 of https://britishbirds.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/76818-OLS-Report-final.pdf#page=29 posted in #2.

View attachment 200203

There are studies that have more specific recommendations than the above.

@GunHawk and @DNADave eloquently covered the human aspect, peer-review and IRB, and the overall nature of a research study. As previously noted, my research study will go through multiple levels of review processes between the IRB and AQRs.

The bottom-line, again as previously noted, it is up to individuals to synthesize the information being presented and they have the ultimate responsibility for their decision(s) and the consequences associated with it. If they choose to use lead or copper bullet, not discard meat around the wound channel, etc., that is their right. As @Tulsa Reiner, noted ...

Cheers!
So, Feenix, what is your field of research?

When I was kid my buddy and I lived with our Sheridan air rifles all summer. My first rifle went through 5+ boxes of pellets before the seals started leaking. Most of those 2500 pellets spent time in my mouth as I would always have 3-4 of them in my mouth when we were out killing things with them. You would think that I would have come down with some symptoms during the ages of 7-12 before we graduated to hunting with other weapons.

Over the years I have hunted with some dogs that you just think "what the hell is wrong with that dog?". Never verbalized it to the owners of course, but did make note that those owners were using lead shot. Now that I hunt with two brilliant drahthaars, members of my upland hunting groups are only allowed to use steel shot, or a non-toxic variety. And my dogs remain brilliant. Haven't taken the time to publish any research yet but maybe in a year or two. If I can just save a few dogs from lead poisoning, it'll all be worth it.

How about you guys? When hunting with an idiot dog was lead shot being used? My guess is yes it was and that is the primary reason for the dogs being well, odd or flat out dumb.

Well its pretty factual. So we were hunting one day and the oldest drahthaar found a rooster with a broken wing. I'd find out later that it was shot with lead. Immediately after he went crazy and killed a raccoon and brought it back to me. After the effects of the lead poisoning wore off, he returned to his brilliant self. So in this example, just one exposure to returning a pheasant that had 4 or 5 pellets in it, caused my otherwise brilliant dog to get feral.

You're going to have to trust me on this. The dangers of lead exposure are real, don't take them lightly.

Well its pretty factual. So we were hunting one day and the oldest drahthaar found a rooster with a broken wing. I'd find out later that it was shot with lead. Immediately after he went crazy and killed a raccoon and brought it back to me. After the effects of the lead poisoning wore off, he returned to his brilliant self. So in this example, just one exposure to returning a pheasant that had 4 or 5 pellets in it, caused my otherwise brilliant dog to get feral.

You're going to have to trust me on this. The dangers of lead exposure are real, don't take them lightly.
Best post on this thread. As an aside, my dear departed lab must have had steel poisoning ;)

KurtB: Lead is certainly toxic if enough of it is ingested to reach the toxic concentration level. But I'm not sure I'm understanding your post. Are you saying that your dog was affected by lead poisoning by retrieving a pheasant that contained lead pellets without actually ingesting any of the lead?

Its the only thing that makes sense Jon. Just being near it got him.

Now when I go down the toxic shotgun ammo aisle at Cabela's, I make sure not to stay long and have a mask on. The lead fumes must be all over in there.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.