Lead poisoning from eating game shot with lead core bullets?

Its the only thing that makes sense Jon. Just being near it got him.

Now when I go down the toxic shotgun ammo aisle at Cabela's, I make sure not to stay long and have a mask on. The lead fumes must be all over in there.
So, you think your dog may have inhaled lead fumes from the lead-peppered pheasant?

I had a bird dog who almost died of lead poisoning. Caught him doin the "wild thing" with my favorite pillow. Problem solved with a trip to the vet. Later I figured out I could have cured him of all those carnal urges. Just needed to feed him some wedding cake...……..

Lead poisoning, like all heavy metal poisoning, is a one way street. In the acute toxicity phase humans can get chelation therapy to lower levels. You don't get over it with time. Any nervous system damage from the lead is permanent.
Kurt B is full of something but I don't think it is knowledge or lead.

My odds of getting lead poisoning from lead bullets/pellets is about as remote as my dog getting it retrieving a pheasant. Just a little frivolity.

I did laugh out loud at DCAN's post though.

Black dog is the trouble maker and willing to risk lead in order to hunt.

Well if we're getting into showing furry kid pics, this is my grandpuppy. Best huntin buddy a guy could ask for. Grouse and Quail hunting machine since she was 6 mo old. This fall we start on ducks. Can't have her around when target shooting. She will try to retrieve the target or clay bird pieces.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_7535.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7535.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
My odds of getting lead poisoning from lead bullets/pellets is about as remote as my dog getting it retrieving a pheasant. Just a little frivolity.

Whew! What a relief! I'm sure glad you let us in on the joke. I was on the verge of thinking that everyone who read this thread may have suffered lead poisoning by mere proximity to the "fumes"! By the way, lead oxide fumes actually do exist...just not at temperatures lower than 800 * Fahrenheit.

I should have know you were messing with us. What's not normal about a dog going crazy and killing a racoon and then bringing it to you...that was my first clue that your post wasn't as heavy as lead:D

[QUOTE="KurtB, post: 1930083, member: 2106"]

[/QUOTE]
I am glad that you are full of humor. This thread has been circling the drain for a few pages now and there were so many inaccuracies I lost my smile.
PS: your pups rock.

Circling the drain for sure! It only made 16 pages @FEENIX !

Guess I will go and stick my hands into copper laden oil and spend the rest of the day handling copper while cleaning boxing and shipping pure copper bullets. Every now and then I will take a break and have a glass of water fresh from the copper plumbing that supplies it to my cup. I should pick up a copper Moscow Mule cup for drinking water...For now I will use my toxic plastic cup.

Guess I will go and stick my hands into copper laden oil and spend the rest of the day handling copper while cleaning boxing and shipping pure copper bullets. Every now and then I will take a break and have a glass of water fresh from the copper plumbing that supplies it to my cup. I should pick up a copper Moscow Mule cup for drinking water...For now I will use my toxic plastic cup.
Dont forget to put on your copper braclet ,socks, and drawers just like on TV they will make you feel better

Steve,

When I get off work, I will do a TGIF toast using my Moscow mule copper cup.

Ed

ADDED: Undecided what to have after a nice Thai LEAD salad for dinner so cheers ...

3 drinks.jpg

Last edited:
rjy8ihfl.jpg

This thread has opened my one good eye to the dangers of ingesting lead from game animals. And lest you think I am not taking what I've learned seriously, I have decided to switch from lead bullets on the left to the all copper bullets on the right and I've taken the extra precaution to use my copper cup when washing them down because the copper bullets just don't slide down as easy as the lead ones do.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.