Lead poisoning from eating game shot with lead core bullets?

Is this a thing?? Sounds nuts to me, but a member of this forum is claiming its dangerous. I have checked with google and couldn't find anything substantive to support the claim.
I call B/S but who knows!!!! I'll keep shooting lead core bullets. I cut my own venison and don't use blood shot meat. The lead risk has gotta be lower than risks associated with growth hormones, steroids and antibiotics in store bought food!

Through the years and due to constant competitive shooting, indoor and outdoor, the casting of numerous lead bullets, eating a variety and lots of game shot with various lead projectiles, and varied military experiences that potentially exposed me to varied heavy metals, I have given blood for a few lead level checks, and so far, my levels run in the 7.5-8.1 mcg/dl. For an adult, those levels are considered normal with <10 mcg/dl considered ok. YMMV

I recall a conversation with one toxicologist about my sport and lead poisoning potentials, and he was more worried about the numerous daily chemicals people expose themselves to everyday in their homes, jobs, offices, cars, foods, etc. After hearing him speak about the stuff used in our routine lives and products, it was eye opening. Heck, now even talcum powder is supposedly carcinogenic and has caused ovarian cancer in numerous women. Just think of everything in our homes, cars, fuels, paints, foods, etc, etc, etc. Its enough to make one psychotic and paranoid....."IF" you let it.
😉

Last edited:

Switched to Barnes years ago. I recall a video of an xray of a deer shot with a lead core bullet and it looked like lead pellets all thru it. That convinced me. I'll try to find the video again.
This article was originally published in Environment Health News. https://www.ehn.org/amp/about-environmental-health-news-2495507118

Make your own opinion about them.
Remember: Where does the money that sponsor those studies come from? Who gets the benefit of the study?

Me too! And of course, ear protection. Heck, I even wear gloves, eye, and ear protection when I mow or use any power tools. To me it is all about risk management.

I have the same stance. As noted, I really do not care what an individual does with the information being presented. This learner is in no position to criticize any individual's stance on the subject matter or anybody's empirical data as I do not have any personal published peer-reviewed research paper. I have nothing but respect for those that managed to have their work published (literature/article, thesis, dissertation) because it is not an easy endeavor. I have been working on my research study since June of 2017 and currently going through multi-level Academic Quality Review processes and Independent Review Board. It has been a challenging but rewarding journey and the ultimate prize is almost within reach. 😇

After 4 hours of study time since getting off work, I think a well-deserved break is in order. Cheers to all ... be safe and God bless!

View attachment 199350
Good luck with your paper, and I recommend an Irish single pot whisky.

This article was originally published in Environment Health News. https://www.ehn.org/amp/about-environmental-health-news-2495507118

Make your own opinion about them.
Remember: Where does the money that sponsor those studies come from? Who gets the benefit of the study?
Note that we never actually see the data nor the p-values; it was clear that, unlike the null vs alternative hypothesis which someone, I believe, DNA Dave discussed so eloquently, they had made up their minds about the outcomes before the study was even finished. The "some suggest" means, we'd like to have science to back us up, but we don't. And, as you may know from my other posts, I have had uniformly good luck shooting Barnes bullets. I hunt ducks, not pheasants, so don't shoot lead shot either. I just hate junk science.

Lead from paint and lead toxic animals is dramatically different than lead from an animal killed with a bullet. Animals killed with bullets have large particles of lead which if consumed are poorly absorbed in the G.I. tract as they can't be broken down to an absorbable size. Lead from paint and lead poisoned animals is in the more elemental form and much more easily absorbed by the G.I. tract. The ability to enter the human body is dependent on the time in the G.I. tract and the size of the particles presented. This version of lead poisoning is mostly an unscientific anti-hunting rant by the left.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.