Laying In Wait

FearNoWind

Some miles east of Landers Wyoming, about a week after the opening of Antelope season, there were quite a few animals but they were spooky and getting within 500 yards without belly crawling was difficult. I had filled my doe tag the day before; today I was hunting bucks
I don't mind hunting at long distances, as long as I'm sure of the wind and, as luck would have it, the second morning was windless. I'm told that a windless day in Wyoming is about as common as a cold day in Hades. Was this my lucky day?
We spotted a buck about half a mile away, slowly grazing his way toward our position so we decided to watch and wait.
I had used my .270 for the doe I shot the day before but didn't really like it for long ranges so I borrowed my partner's 7mm SAUM and got set up prone on the bipod. I had fired the 7mm once previously, at the range, but this was the first time I'd used it in the field. We glassed the buck for a very long time as he slowly meandered in our direction, crisscrossing the prairie as he moved. He briefly dropped out of sight as he entered a swale and we waited anxiously to see if he'd pop up again over the ridge that concealed his position. It took a few minutes but he did eventually show himself at the top of the ridge and stopped. Standing still, broad side, text book setup for the hunter's shot. My partner ranged him at 675 yards and, as I took aim through the Zeiss scope, I suddenly realized that I had no experience with the reticle I was looking at.
I couldn't believe the antelope remained standing so perfectly still - and finally reminded my partner that I needed some advice about how he'd set up the scope.
He checked the ballistics sheet, told me which point on the reticle matched the range and BANG, I took the shot.
The antelope simply collapsed in place. Not a single step or jump.
Needless to say, I fell immediately in love with the 7mm SAUM and when we field dressed the kill and learned that the shot had gone straight through the heart (explains his immediate collapse) I was even more impressed with the rifle.
Gotta try that again this year ..............

Attachments

• Dads Buck 2 Mod.jpg
    Dads Buck 2 Mod.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 56
  • PICT4739.JPG
    PICT4739.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Nice goat and you obviously have a very good friend. I hope you sent him home with some backstrap LOL.

I have a good friend, more like a brother actually that hunts Wyoming every year and gets his antelope made into amongst other things perhaps the finest summer sausage ever made.

I'm supposed to make that trip with him this year and it'll be worth it just to bring some of that SS home.

Hopefully if we do go, we'll run into some more of the LRH crowd while we're there.

Congrats on a great buck and thanks for the very nice write up.

Nice goat and you obviously have a very good friend. I hope you sent him home with some backstrap LOL.

I have a good friend, more like a brother actually that hunts Wyoming every year and gets his antelope made into amongst other things perhaps the finest summer sausage ever made.

I'm supposed to make that trip with him this year and it'll be worth it just to bring some of that SS home.

Hopefully if we do go, we'll run into some more of the LRH crowd while we're there.

Congrats on a great buck and thanks for the very nice write up.

If you make it to the west side of the state look ne up in Farson, Wyoming

Area 91 is starts right across the road from my house. Lot of Goats.gun)
Gotta be a tough life.

My brother Rob has asked me to come and help him with a Charity event and to do some hunting while I'm there. I haven't had a chance on a goat since about 1989 and it is probably my favorite of all things to hunt so I'd really love to make it.

This year however has been dedicated to once and for all trying to get as many of my orthopedic issues handled and next week I find out hopefully where I'm going to end up with my knees. Thankfully I've found a group that is just phenomenal and they have already successfully handled two of my real serious issues that no one else even wanted to touch.

If he gives me a report that clears me (barring unforeseen complications) for hunting by September you can bet I'll be putting in for the Draw before the end of the week.

Ok, sorry for derailing the thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.