Lack of lapua brass

Dmagna

With the lack of Lapua 223 and 22-250, which brass is the next best? Seems like we will probably not see them for awhile since 223 seems to be being bought by the the nato countries in Europe. 22-250 was suspended due to the need to make 7.62 and 223.

I also love Lapua brass. I'd bet Nosler is probably going to be the best readily available option at this time. Better than some, but not premium brass, in my opinion.

Maybe Alpha and/or ADG will expand their offerings if Lapua can't deliver, seems like the market would be there.

I weighed 500 pieces of new Starline 6 ARC brass to see if it was as uniform as the Lapua 308, 6&6.5 Creedmoor I've been shooting. the new Starline was all from the same lot but
the weight variance was insignificant (+- 1grain). Which was equal to the last small batch of Lapua I checked a few years ago. Im on my 2nd and 3rd reloads and my groups are small and repeatable. So when I saw large amounts of Starline 223 brass available I stocked up on it for use in my .223 Wylde and will confirm that It's excellent brass too.

Once-fired LC 5.56 is what I use in most of my 223-based wildcats. MDWS got me started doing that. It takes a little more effort to match up a set of cases but once you do it's good stuff. A few years ago I went through and swagged/ resized 500 pieces, I'm still working through that batch. Basically like working with new brass - I turn to what neck thickness I need, mandrel up or resize down, good to go.

Redding sells trim dies that you can use to move cases in smaller increments to reform allowing you to make 22-250 out of a bunch of options, including other cases Lapua is still currently making.

It's a really good option to have, too. If a factory barrel has too much clearance around the neck you can use 308 Win brass to make a thicker-necked 22-250 and turn down to what you need. Involves a neck reamer also due to change in the neck/shoulder junction placement.

I'm at the point I wish we could get basic brass more easily. Starline makes 223 Basic but is not available currently, and Peterson IIRC used to make basic belted mag (might be from before they released 300WM long though). If I could get basic 204 Ruger, 404 Jeffrey, and 270 Win cases with no headstamp I'd be very excited. You can make basically anything from those.

Last edited:
I'm rather surprised to hear that. You learn something every day.
Norma make both and their brass, although softer/thinner than most, make very accurate and consistent brass as long as you don't overload it.
I had very good results with RWS as well.
I will say I love SRP Lapua 22-250 brass…which is why I bought 2 500 count boxes when available, it was very, very expensive here, above $2.00 each.

Cheers.

Lapua 308 Palma brass was off the shelves for quite awhile… and now its back.
Maybe the calibers you are looking for are coming soon…

Last edited:
Lake City for the 223 is very good brass, and if you look around, you can find it reasonably priced. The only 22-250 I had, has been rechambered to 22 Creed. Lots of good brass for that one.

I prefer Lapua brass for my 223 bolt gun setups. I don't have direct experience with Norma, but I did have good luck with Starline in 223. I believe it's cheaper than Norma and could be a good bridge until Lapua 223 becomes available. I don't have any 22-250 rifles, so no opinions to add there.