Lack of 6.5PRC brass??

Huntz

I was thinking of buying a rifle in 6.5PRC.For the las two moths I have been checking reloading sites(Midway,Grafs,etc.) and not finding brass and limited makers.I wonder why other brass makers have not jumped on the band wagon.I see Hornady-never in stock.Nosler and some other obscure maker at super high prices.Not seeing Lapau or Norma makes me think they don`t think too much about this cartridge.Basically a 6.5-06 can do everything the 6.5PRC can and I am thinking this might be the way to go.What say you?Thanks ahead for opinions and comments,Huntz.

my last build was a 6.5-280 ackley a simple neck down on peterson 280 ackley brass and ready to go it is one heck of a good round

I have some on backorder from OpticsPlanet. Supposedly it's going to ship on the 9th. When I bought my rifle I never bought brass and now I regret it. Now I can't even find loaded ammo.

I was thinking of buying a rifle in 6.5PRC.For the las two moths I have been checking reloading sites(Midway,Grafs,etc.) and not finding brass and limited makers.I wonder why other brass makers have not jumped on the band wagon.I see Hornady-never in stock.Nosler and some other obscure maker at super high prices.Not seeing Lapau or Norma makes me think they don`t think too much about this cartridge.Basically a 6.5-06 can do everything the 6.5PRC can and I am thinking this might be the way to go.What say you?Thanks ahead for opinions and comments,Huntz.
I built a 6.5PRC and know what you're talking about. Fortunately, I built a 264WM. No problem w/ it...... yet!

Sportsmans warehouse has recently been putting hornady brass on the shelves. Nothing wrong with the hornady in 6.5 prc, I believe I read the 6.5 prc is in the top 5 for factory ammunition in hornady production

Brass from Bertram, Hornady, Gunwerks and ADG, loaded ammo from Hornady, Gunwerks and a bunch of boutique ammo stores, Federal and Nosler should have ammo on the shelves soon, the 6.5 PRC is a great cartridge, the reason your having trouble finding the components or ammo is it's very popular and for good reason.

If your a re -loader the 6.5x06 is the way to go . Produces the same vel as the PRC. Ton's of inexpensive onced fired 25x06 or 30x06 brass at very attractive prices. One pass thru a 6.5x06 FL sizer, load & shoot. A never ending supply of brass. Getting hung up on a name ( PRC ) is a marketing ploy to get you to buy .

Now if you want a great 6.5 cartridge try the new Weatherby 6.5 RPM, I just had one built on a Kimber Montana 84L with a 24 inch #2 contour 1-8 twist Benchmark barrel.
It's crazy accurate with the 156 Berger Elite Hunters.

let's end the bs about a marketing ploy.... good lord the anti hornady people are like paid protestors, its ridiculous. The PRC was designed to run in a SA for those seeking similar performance to the 6.5-284. There is not a lot of magic to the PRC, similar to the SAUM/GAP, but being offered by a larger variety of manufacturers. If you are seeking SA cartridge that produces 6.5-06 etc level speeds then the saum, sherman, and PRC are your choices. If you have a long action then you are not doing yourself any favors. I'd stick with the 6.5-06 or even better, 6.5-284, and be done with it. If you have a SA then go with a Sherman. Rich offers up brass and dies on his web site ready to go. I like my PRC but wish I'd just bit the bullet and went with a sherman. My only attraction to the PRC was being able to snag prefit barrels from proof and others and by pass using a smith. Around here smiths are jackwagons so I do as much of my own work as possible.

European manufacturers are slow to pick up on brass that is popular in the States. Lapua and Norma usually lag a couple of years behind.
I've had no problems getting brass from Midway or Brownells and even when out of stock their back order system is only about a 30 to 45 day wait.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.