Lack of 6.5PRC brass??

the reason your having trouble finding the components or ammo is it's very popular and for good reason.

^^^ This. It is not the lack of popularity, but the extreme popularity it has garnered especially in the past 6-12 months. Add to that the unprecedented demand for ALL brass, components and loaded ammunition in the past 6 months, and you have a perfect storm of lack of availability of "newer" popular cartridges like 6.5 PRC.

The shortage is due to popularity not lack of interest and as stated it's not just marketing. Most people don't give a $#^t about the letters PRC or even know what they stand for. It is just hard to beat the 6.5PRC in an off the shelf short action rifle. When you consider how long it takes load development, marketing, and production to get on board and get a new load out the door and Federal and Nosler and others will have ammo on the shelves for hunting this year I'd say you'll be fine. And in my opinion you can't beat the 6.5PRC if you accept it as a short action cartridge. If you have the "Should build it on a long action to maximize the potential with the longest bullet made" mentality there are some better options in long action in my opinion. I just verified this years hunting load in my PRC yesterday running 140 Grain Nosler Accubonds at 3126 pushed out by RL26 with an ES of 12 over 20 rounds and 10 shots in .58" over 2 - 5 shot strings. Right at 2" at 420 yards over 5 shots. From a non custom rifle. The factory 147ELDMs I was shooting for break in last year had an ES of 7. It is a dandy of a case.

Last edited:
I was thinking of buying a rifle in 6.5PRC.For the las two moths I have been checking reloading sites(Midway,Grafs,etc.) and not finding brass and limited makers.I wonder why other brass makers have not jumped on the band wagon.I see Hornady-never in stock.Nosler and some other obscure maker at super high prices.Not seeing Lapau or Norma makes me think they don`t think too much about this cartridge.Basically a 6.5-06 can do everything the 6.5PRC can and I am thinking this might be the way to go.What say you?Thanks ahead for opinions and comments,Huntz.
GunWerks or ADG SAME

I was in the same boat. I recently bought a 24" CTR in 6.5 CM because I was afraid of how long it might take to get ammo or components for the PRC.

Was kind of thinking along the same lines. So bought a Savage 10 BA Evolution in 6.5 C to build a 6.5 PRC after I found out Hornady was going forward with the PRC. Now have built the bolt, got the PRC barrel and gauges, but yet to use them. (BTW so far really liking the Creedmoor and wearing it out) As soon as all this stupidity is over I will put on the PRC. Circumstances aren't allowing for a Elk hunt this year so no hurry...

Handloading is the way to go if you can. My thinking is that factory barely puts you at ELK energy at distance. According to Hornady factory 6.5 PRC 143 gr ELD-X Precision Hunter is 2960 fps out of a 24" and gets you to 4-500 yards. Of course that's depending on angle, wind ect. As a 'safety' margin I would like to get it moving north of 3100 fps at elevation for sure. Also I want to play with the Berger 6.5mm 156 gr. EOL Elite Hunter and see if they are as good as I think they should be.

Though I have heard Hornady brass is pretty good, I would probably pony up the $ to go with ADG as recommended by many here. Lots of good powder and bullets out there for it when you can find them again.

Edit: BTW the Savage took some 'customizing' to make it workable. Lost the NV bridge and high rail. Switched the stock for a folding MDT and the Trigger for a BASix. Very happy.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.