Labradar help

The JKL trigger is the way to go with a Labradar although triggering is not the primary issue a Labradar has. No two Labradar units function the same way. I've had one for years and it is temperamental. Labradar tech support will tell you that they have never had a unit returned that needed repairing. Yeah, right. I spent 40 years in a career as an electronics engineer. Any product has failures.

I used my Labradar for about a year without an external trigger and dropped a few shots. So I bought the external trigger and have not dropped a shot since. I thinks it's a worthwhile accessory. My one complaint about it is that it comes with two velcro dots with adhesive back, and I shoot more than two rifles. When I peeled the velcro dot off one rifle and stuck it to another, it wouldn't stay on the rifle. I'd like to find another way to affix the trigger to the rifle.

I use a regular camera tripod set beside the bench to hold the Labradar. It's a light-duty tripod and works without issues. I set it up so the unit is about 6" to the side and about 2" behind the muzzle.

For batteries, I have been using a set of rechargeable AA batteries. You need to remember to take them out after each session and put them in the charger when you get home, but I have managed to do that without issues. A single battery pack would probably be preferable, but I had the batteries anyway (for a walkie-talkie, I think), so I used them.

The only way I ever got the Labradar acoustic trigger to work with a can was to put it a few inches to the side of the bullet path and about 4 ft in front of the muzzle. Just because Joe and Bill have a Labradar that works a certain way does not mean that yours will. Mine won't read any bullet smaller than about 75gr in .224 and mine reads velocity about 10fps faster than correct with more ES than my magnetospeed reads.

I use a recoil trigger with a can and without. It just work extremely well. A external battery pack, small tripod, and aim it correctly. Best chrono I've ever used. Have a magnetospeed and Caldwell. Caldwell is a ***.

This is what I have done. I've had my lab radar since they were released and have no issues. I set up on a tripod in front of the shooting bench. Arrange it so my muzzle is in front of the unit and to the side. No need for the external trigger.

Attachments

• AC57B1F9-7976-4E98-907C-4587DAF3879A.png
    AC57B1F9-7976-4E98-907C-4587DAF3879A.png
    904.5 KB · Views: 87
Hearing that the labradar chronos are not dependable without the sensor triggers. True or false ? I have no problem getting one but which one is the preferred model ? Also, any recommendations on tripods or unit stands for use ? Cases for containment or batteries vs battery pack ? Sorry lots of questions here.
With suppressors they need to have an external trigger device. I have had good luck with my rifles without suppressors from 223 on up. I set the trigger level at 1. When suppressed, I use a device made by JKL Precision that has an adapter that you easily clip on the rail and the sensor just clamps inside of it. I then set my trigger settings to a level of 5 to 7 to keep the bolt release from triggering it. They also make magnetic mounts.

I use the expensive little tripod that is made for them and it works pretty good. One thing I have found that really helps my readings is to place a weight like one of my rest sand/media bags on one of the legs.

Aiming the thing is the worst of everything. I have a small picatinny rail mount that is contoured to the outside of the case and uses the housing bolt to secure to the top of the LabRadar's case. I then have a small inexpensive Red dot mounted on top in order to easily sight it down range.

Also on the battery pack. You can use just about any USB pack. I just bought the Brand name one, but what is really nice about that is that you can do multiple range days and leave it running all day long without charge.

I have a Labradar and a magnetospeed. The MS might miss 2 shots a year. The LR misses one or more shots on every session I use it. At least one out of 15 shots it misses. But it is worth putting up with just because it does not touch the barrel. The MS is way more reliable and I believe the numbers from it are closer to correct. I subtract 10fps from any reading on the LR. The fastest reading I ever recorded with the LR is 3880 fps. I've recorded 4200 fps with the MS. The manual which comes with the LR is so bad that the maker provided an additional online manual to clarify some of the cryptic descriptions in the original. Be sure you download the online manual.

I have to set mine in front of the muzzle if I am using a break because it shuts it off. I use the microphone for suppressed and it still finicky on picking up shots. I have had it for 2 years and it does require some finesse to make it work all the time. External battery is a must for longer shooting sessions.

As stated above, mine and my buddies miss a couple shots a session. I will usually count on it missing the first shot due to some little change to location or alignment but not every time. I still think its the best avenue we have right now but it is FAR from perfect.

I used my Labradar for about a year without an external trigger and dropped a few shots. So I bought the external trigger and have not dropped a shot since. I thinks it's a worthwhile accessory. My one complaint about it is that it comes with two velcro dots with adhesive back, and I shoot more than two rifles. When I peeled the velcro dot off one rifle and stuck it to another, it wouldn't stay on the rifle. I'd like to find another way to affix the trigger to the rifle.

I use a regular camera tripod set beside the bench to hold the Labradar. It's a light-duty tripod and works without issues. I set it up so the unit is about 6" to the side and about 2" behind the muzzle.

For batteries, I have been using a set of rechargeable AA batteries. You need to remember to take them out after each session and put them in the charger when you get home, but I have managed to do that without issues. A single battery pack would probably be preferable, but I had the batteries anyway (for a walkie-talkie, I think), so I used them.
Go to any hardware store or Walmart and buy some Velcro and put a small patch on each gun. Boom problem solved

My LR is finicky. Especially with my 300NM un suppressed. My guess is because the LR takes 5 velocities out to 300yds(?), ergo vibrations of the blast shake the LR toward the end of TOF. I get a "LR unable to track the projectile." Solution: magnum calibers, set offset to 18 inches and get a beefy stand so the blast effects are minimal.

Works great with all my other calibers including pistol (from 45ACP, .40 SW, 9mm, and even .380ACP).

Hearing that the labradar chronos are not dependable without the sensor triggers. True or false ? I have no problem getting one but which one is the preferred model ? Also, any recommendations on tripods or unit stands for use ? Cases for containment or batteries vs battery pack ? Sorry lots of questions here.
Bought it about three years ago. Thousands of rounds have been tracked. Use it for everything from 22 rimfire to 375 Cheytac. As long as it is square 90 degrees to the barrel, 12" from the barrel and placed as close to the end of the bench AND the trajectory is as close to flat to the face of the unit it is AMAZING, UNLESS any suppressor is used. Then it becomes a lot more sensitive and starts to miss probably 20% of the shots. I use their table top tri pod and any cell phone battery pack. It eats up batteries in a few hours. With a suppressor on Creedmoor's and 308's it's the most sensitive, and pretty much a no go with suppresses rimfire to pick up the shot. But overall compared to the two other shoot through chronos I've had over the years it is the best and it's an extremely important data device to shoot competition for distance. Other than putting bullets on paper, only way to validate BC and atmospheric conditions. Buy it. Worth the money.