LabRadar Base Issues

venatic

I have had my LabRadar for about 4 months now and use it almost every week.
On the base I purchased with it I am on my second ball head handle/spindle doohickey thingy as its keeps getting to a point where it will not tighten.
I sent LabRadar an email the first time and they sent another but today it started doing the same thing so it's time for a better fix.
Anyone have this issue and what have you done to rectify.

Happened to me, out of the box. I just replaced it with a Manfrotto ball head and 200pl quick release plate, so I could go from using plate to mounting on a short/medium tripod. Works great going from bench to prone.

do you need that adjustment ? if not maybe just something simple like I'm using . I just took a piece of 3/4" plywood , drilled a hole in the middle , put a 1/4 x 20 bolt about 1 inch long bolt through the board , and screw the labradar to the board .

Happened to me, out of the box. I just replaced it with a Manfrotto ball head and 200pl quick release plate, so I could go from using plate to mounting on a short/medium tripod. Works great going from bench to prone.[/QUOTE

This is what I need to do.
Now to find the parts.

From out of the days of yesteryear ... when I was deeper into photography than anyone should ever be, every quality tripod I owned had a 1/4x20 camera mounting stud and rotating head. Should not be difficult to work something out.

I took one of these $12 and mounted it to a piece of diamond plate I found at the range. If you have a long barrel that sticks out past the end of the bench you would need a tripod. The unit has to be pretty close to the end of the muzzle, not as critical if using a muzzle brake.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-...859878?hash=item1a149b1e66:g:jEsAAOSw3R1XT6ni
s-l400.jpg

wedgy, Jul 15, 2016 Report

I mounted mine on the cheapest silk compact tripod I could find using the ball head that came with it that featured a very small QD plate.

The one thing I don't like about the labradar is its battery consumption rate has me turning it on and off unlike my magnetospeed. The need to turn it on and off means a little more flexibility in positioning the lab radar can come in handy which is why I like the tripod over the plate mounted options.

It does go thru batteries very quickly. I use a USB battery pack and still turn it off when letting barrel cool down. There has been a few times I forgot to turn it back on. I hate getting senile !!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts