Knight vs Savage

deertroy1

I've never owned a muzzleloader but due to increased hunting opportunity I'm looking to purchase a new muzzleloader for hunting deer. I've narrowed my decision to a Savage 10MLII, a Knight Mountaineer Extreme, or a Knight Ultralight. I'd probably prefer the Savage but it's no longer available in stainless. It will be used primarily out to a maximum of 150 yds.
Any thoughts on these two?

Although I haven't shot Knight rifles in years, myself I'd rather have the Mountaineer over the Ultra. I would prefer the longer barrel for heavier charges of BH209 and a little more weight to help absorb the recoil.

I'd take the Knight over the Savage, just my personal preference. I have a few of the older Knight M-L's, Extremes & Elites, work just superbly.

I was just out a week ago fine tuning my Knight Elite 45 cal with some Blackhorn 209. I take it over my shotgun slug gun when required by the regs.

I'm less familiar with the newer offerings from Knight. All the reviews I read are very good though. No matter what you end up getting, clean the gun well after shooting. You can go a few days with Blackhorn 209.

Have you looked at the CVA Accura V2 yet? I recently purchased one for around $380 in camo and I love it. The thing outshot my T/C and my buddies T/C and is easier to clean and unload. Even after 20 shots of not cleaning it loads easy and was easy to remove the breech plug. I liked it so much I sold the T/C.

i've got a knight disc extreme and a wolverine. i've also got a TC omega, and have had a prohunter.

i hated the break-action prohunter, and will never own another one. the knight's i have, and the new ones i've fondled are really nice firearms. high quality, both of mine are shooters with BH209 and a wide array of bullets. the older ones have timney triggers, which are light years ahead of the TC triggers by design.

is the savage MLII, the smokeless one? i'd like to try a smokeless, but haven't gotten around it yet. they would definitely have a range advantage over a non-smokeless knight.

i couldn't recommend a knight over a savage, cause i haven't used a savage. but i can tell you you could do worse than a knight.

i've got a knight disc extreme and a wolverine. i've also got a TC omega, and have had a prohunter.

i hated the break-action prohunter, and will never own another one. the knight's i have, and the new ones i've fondled are really nice firearms. high quality, both of mine are shooters with BH209 and a wide array of bullets. the older ones have timney triggers, which are light years ahead of the TC triggers by design.

is the savage MLII, the smokeless one? i'd like to try a smokeless, but haven't gotten around it yet. they would definitely have a range advantage over a non-smokeless knight.

i couldn't recommend a knight over a savage, cause i haven't used a savage. but i can tell you you could do worse than a knight.

Always interesting reading the comments about different rifles. I gave up entirely on CVA, sold all my Knights, handed down all my Encores and shoot only my Pro Hunter. I wouldn't trade that Pro Hunter for any custom muzzleloader made. $10.00 worth of parts, 15 minutes of my time, gave me a 1.75# trigger pull, with no creep or over travel. As good as any Timney I've had.

yeah, different strokes for sure. i think i hate cleaning the break actions worst than anything else about them. mine shot good, but if you got a trigger on a hammer-ed firearm to be as crisp with no creep and no overtravel as a well adjusted timney, you're a better gunsmith than me for sure!

your crazy if you dont get the savage in my opinion. Ive had both the salvage is by far the better gun. more accurate dont have to spend your hole life cleaning it. You could not pay me enough to trade my savage for anything else.PS if it helps it comes in camo stock as well

your crazy if you dont get the savage in my opinion. Ive had both the salvage is by far the better gun. more accurate dont have to spend your hole life cleaning it. You could not pay me enough to trade my savage for anything else.PS if it helps it comes in camo stock as well

Your probably right. I've been looking for a used stainless laminate Savage but I guess anyone who owns one is keeping it. Living in Canada doesn't help.
It's just that I live in Nova Scotia right next to the ocean. We get a lot of rain during hunting season. I also really like the looks of the stainless laminate guns.

Not sure what ur looking for but check out this site for smokeleas muzzleloaders and do some research before u buy the savage. This is a 45 smokeless that is capable of shooting past 600 yards and was only $350 when i was done putting it together.

Doug's message board

Your probably right. I've been looking for a used stainless laminate Savage but I guess anyone who owns one is keeping it. Living in Canada doesn't help.
It's just that I live in Nova Scotia right next to the ocean. We get a lot of rain during hunting season. I also really like the looks of the stainless laminate guns.

T/C makes the Pro Hunter that way............ :D

Not sure what ur looking for but check out this site for smokeleas muzzleloaders and do some research before u buy the savage. This is a 45 smokeless that is capable of shooting past 600 yards and was only $350 when i was done putting it together.

Doug's message board

I've been on that site already and your right. The problem is, as I stated earlier, I live in rural Canada. If it isn't .22, 30-06 or 12 gauge then your out of luck. I'm exaggerating of course but it pretty hard to get anything gun related compared to our American neighbours.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.