Kahntrol Clamp on Muzzle Brake Review

Interesting. I have never used a brake or had reason to yet. I can understand the potential issues of a cheap brake being out of alignment or potentially if it's got poor tolerances and I see many types but is there any real science that makes one type of porting/design more effective than another?

Interesting. I have never used a brake or had reason to yet. I can understand the potential issues of a cheap brake being out of alignment or potentially if it's got poor tolerances and I see many types but is there any real science that makes one type of porting/design more effective than another?
There is a VERY big difference in ,blast, noise, reduced muzzle lift, dirt signature and recoil reduction depending on port design. All brakes are not created equal.

There is a VERY big difference in ,blast, noise, reduced muzzle lift, dirt signature and recoil reduction depending on port design. All brakes are not created equal.
Amen

The muzzle blast from this .300 RUM with a brake, is just obnoxious! I'm thinking about sending it back. I honestly feel like a 🐈, for even putting it on my rifle.

Amen

The muzzle blast from this .300 RUM with a brake, is just obnoxious! I'm thinking about sending it back. I honestly feel like a 🐈, for even putting it on my rifle.
I shot my 7 mag for 40 years w/o a brake. I didn't like the noise from other shooters. But after extensive shoulder surgery that will take 12-14 months of recovery time, I need recoil reduction, so my 6.5PRC & 300 PRC have Fat B..d brakes. The way my shoulder hurts 8 months after the surgery, I don't dare shoot a rifle.

Last edited:
I shot my 7 mag for 40 years w/o a brake. I didn't like the noise from other shooters. But after extensive should surgery that will take 12-14 months of recovery time, I need recoil reduction, so my 6.5PRC & 300 PRC have Fat B..d brakes. The way my shoulder hurts 8 months after the surgery, I don't dare shoot a rifle.
Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that. I pray you make a.full recovery.

I wasnt saying its bad for having a brake. Im just so used to shooting things however, that its a big switch for me. I know they can be a blessing in a lot of ways.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

PS: For laughs, I'll tell you this. My friend had me set up a rifle for him. It was a .308, in one of those compact Rugers. It wouldn't have weighed 7 lbs with 5 rounds of ammo. Had a hard plastic butt pad. That one, is the only one I ever said "enough" and got some padding.

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that. I pray you make a.full recovery.

I wasnt saying its bad for having a brake. Im just so used to shooting things however, that its a big switch for me. I know they can be a blessing in a lot of ways.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

PS: For laughs, I'll tell you this. My friend had me set up a rifle for him. It was a .308, in one of those compact Rugers. It wouldn't have weighed 7 lbs with 5 rounds of ammo. Had a hard plastic butt pad. That one, is the only one I ever said "enough" and got some padding.
Overkill338,
No offense taken and except for my shoulder surgery, I'd probably still be shooting without a brake. Brakes are terribly loud, so I'll be wearing the electronic ear headphones when I resume hunting the Fall of 2021.
Merry Christmas to you and may God bless you real good.

Last edited:
I had a 7mm for several years for hunting and then I wanted to long range target shoot with it. Issue I had was after the 3-4th shot, the flinch in anticipation of it going off, coupled with the recoil wasn't good at all. So I put a Kahntrol clamp on brake on it. Amazing that it then shot like a .243

One thing to keep in mind is the blast. I was on the range and briefly took off one side of my ear protection to listen to the range officer. I negligently forget to put it back on and when I pulled the trigger there was a blast shield that was between shooters and the concussion came back at me and how. I now have a permanent 10% loss of hearing in my right ear, so be careful with hearing protection !

Breaks really work. I have them on my competition guns. Not my hunting rifles though. Yes my 300 rum 7.8 lbs kicks like a 10 gauge bps. Sighting it in sucks. But with all my shooting. If I'm hunting something. I never remember the recoil. Just the hit or miss. Never a fan of the lead sleds but those bruises are making me think twice.

Breaks really work. I have them on my competition guns. Not my hunting rifles though. Yes my 300 rum 7.8 lbs kicks like a 10 gauge bps. Sighting it in sucks. But with all my shooting. If I'm hunting something. I never remember the recoil. Just the hit or miss. Never a fan of the lead sleds but those bruises are making me think twice.
I've seen lead sleds break scopes and stocks. I laid my .325 WSM in it because it was setup on the table at the range. I couldn't figure out why my shots were moving, until I tried to adjust the zoom and couldn't. The scope had slid in the rings.

I highly DO NOT reccomend the sled.

I shot my 7 mag for 40 years w/o a brake. I didn't like the noise from other shooters. But after extensive shoulder surgery that will take 12-14 months of recovery time, I need recoil reduction, so my 6.5PRC & 300 PRC have Fat B..d brakes. The way my shoulder hurts 8 months after the surgery, I don't dare shoot a rifle.
I am facing shoulder surgery for two muscle tears limiting range of movement ... without being inquisitive was your surgery more extensive? No details as they are none of my business just "yes" or "no", please; I have been wondering about the impact of this (after a cast for 4-6 weeks plus physical therapy) upon my fun as I am a retired shooting bum!

I have two friends who have had extensive shoulder surgeries. Both shot left handed while healing or they would have been limited to rimfire only. One of them got to be a far better shot left handed than he was right handed and still shoots this way. It is a good compromise and a valuable skill to acquire. I may be biased because I am a lefty, but I can shoot almost as well right handed.

I bought one very much like that off ebay, but it was 4 screws and two ports. Never got to review it, it flew off once and I found it again. Tightened it even more and lost it for good. I wish someone had told me to put blue Loctite on it like they did the Witt.

Here is the one I lost
View attachment 235363

Here is my rifle with the Witt.
View attachment 235364

Your topic may be a great place for people to see pictures of all the clamp-on brakes.
It looks to me from the photograph that there was very little gap between the cuts that are expected to close up on tightening with the capscrews.
It therefore seems likely the two "halves" were actually touching, thus preventing the brake from creating enough clamping grip strength to create a snug fit.
It is a balance of metallurgy to make the material soft enough to allow it to squeeze while being strong enough to keep threads from stripping out unless inserts or nuts are used in the construction.
So I'm inclined to think the brake had insufficient clamping ability to maintain a grip on the barrel an letting it be sent downrange.
Thanks for the information on the topic.
I'm trying to save up to ideally have my barrel threaded for a brake, but lacking that a clamp on version might be the way to go, even if the cost isn't much of a savings over a decent brake itself.

No, it didn't have a mark on it. I actually bought it for a .338, since I was buying a clamp-on brake from Ebay. The second time someone said try a round of electrical tape between the brake and barrel. All it left was a little glue lol
Maybe a little Resin applied for gripping surface much like is used when removing a barrel with the appropriate tools. It gives a good gripping surface while not being a permanent or disfiguring effect.