It's ALIVE!

Dave King

I have a brown bear hunt this fall and absolutely positively need a new backup spare rifle (and a spare for that one too).

Doc Ed Harren, being the kind gentleman that he is, has put up with my latest desire to build a lightweight 458 Win Mag.

Today was christening day for the new rifle. I wasn't sure how badly the thing was going to recoil and from the recoil calculators I could find it looked like it might be pretty stout, somewhere between a 12 gauge super magnum load and those images of men shooting the 577 T-Rex.

I figured the rifle would weight about 9lbs (I'm not a fisherman) and get 2000 fps with a 500gr bullet... not too bad but I did happen to notice the stock we had selected has a recoil pad of about the same consistency and density as Vibram shoe soles.

On to the shooting part; the rifle is still in the white and I don't want iron sights (if a bear gets close I'll point shoot, I figure to use the scope at about 15 to 50 yards). We set up an Oehler (wedged it into a handy dead bush) to shoot across so I could calculate recoil and have an idea of load value. Ed (being the gentleman the wiser of us) let me shoot first and offered to leave the immediate area so as not to disturb me in my moment of glory. 1 from-the-hip shot and 9 proper (but crouched to get the rounds over the Oehler) from the shoulder shots later we were done. The rifle works fine, no gigantic fireball, no sights needed for the stump at 15 feet and no detached retina....

I now have a fine big game rifle capable of cleanly harvesting anything from a junk Frigidaire refrigerator to an African elephant.

I believe Ed and I have selected a name for it (the rifle) but I thought I would run it past a few folks here for thoughts on calling it "Ol' Hematoma".

My shoulder is a little sore and my neck is somewhat stiff but I'm good to go I believe.

Oh.. When we got back to Ed's shop we checked the weight on the rifle as I shot it, 7lbs 6oz. 2030fps with a 500 grain bullet over 73 grains of powder = 24fps and 72ft/lbs recoil... I like it.

ol_hematoma.JPG

Dave,

I gone thru the same experience years ago, with my Ruger Nro.1 loaded with 450gr Barnes X and later with a custom CZ 602 in .458 Lott.

After one session I finished with a so much pounded shoulder that I couldn't use the right hand for about a week...

May I suggest a great and cheap solution?

Try a PAST Magnum recoil shield, it really works !!

The bruise looks much worse than reality, I use it as a sympathy extractor... I may get an extra piece of cake or something (maybe a beer) if my wife falls for the ruse.

I'd say you've picked an appropriate name.:D

You know, if Ed was any kind of a smith and friend, he'd have volunteered for the multiple shot duties. But my guess is he's been there and done that before and has a good memory.;)

I've shot a 12# 458 and it was not something I'd say was on my list of favorite things to do.

All in all, if it's a charging refridgerator or a charging bear, I think you'll have it covered quite nicely. I agree with the Past for target time but in the field when shooting at a big furry critter you'll never even feel it when it goes off.:cool:

Wouldn't it be less painful to just have Eddie weld on a bayonet stud. Also cheaper, emergency room docs charge a lot less for suturing claw and bite wounds than surgeons do for shoulder joint replacements.

Dave, is the 73 grains 4895? I had a 45 Win Mag when I live in AK. and my laod was 74 grains of 4895 and Federal 210 primers in Rem. brass with a 500 grain soft for 2110 FPS in a 24" barrel...

I was talking with Doc Eddie the other day, wed I believe. He said you were coming over to give that thing a test go.

He mentioned that you were going to do the test firing due to his shoulder being something or other. Either he was whining or he had better uses for the shoulder.:D:D

50 yds, eh? You gotta be nutz:D

It sure does sound like I good piece of work. Between you and Ian you have the "Bark of the swamp" award pretty much sewed up.;)

JWP475

The load for the test was 5 rounds at 70gr of VARGET with CCI 250, virgin Winchester brass and 500 Hornady soft point round nose then 5 rounds bumped to 73gr of VARGET. I have some Barnes 450 TSX to test but I'll wait a while to give them a go, I want practice with the Hornady 500's and full power loads to work on my follow-up shot speed.

Tyler Kemp

That looks a fair bit worse than my arm I say. My bruise (hematoma) is coming along nicely and filling in well but I don't think it will be anything as glorious as the one in your picture. I've also got a bit of an advantage in having a goodly layer of recoil pad evenly distributed over my entire body, I figure about 50lbs worth at least. Maybe later today I'll update my shoulder condition with a new picture. The entire right side of my torso and my back have a bit of an ache, goes clear up into my neck.

My wife didn't fall for the sympathy card I played, no beer and no extra porridge in my bowl at supper. I didn't even get to eat any of the Peeps we stashed around the house for my granddaughter on her Easter egg hunt.

Roy

Ed hurt his shoulder a while back, I don't recall how but he still has some minor trouble with it. He made the correct decision in not shooting the rifle as I don't believe it would have helped him heal up faster. Ed is a really good guy, I have a hell of a good time over at his shop.

50 yards. I assume you are referring to the Brown bear hunt characteristics.

Here is what I've been told about the method of hunt.

We (my wife and I) will be based on a ~65ft converted fishing boat hunting Chichagof Island in South East Alaska for the 10 day hunt. During the day we will find and check active salmon streams then in the late afternoon the outfitter and I will hunt these same streams. The method of hunt is walking upstream in the salmon stream until we either find a suitable bear or a likely spot to wait for a bears. We will be in chest waders standing directly in the stream with salmon bumping into us as they move about (as I'm told). If we don't shoot a decent bear we stay in the stream (either stalking upstream or hunkered down) until dark at which time we turn on our head lamps and walk back down stream to the skiff for the ride back to the big boat.
In the outfitter's brochure there are a few accounts of hunters shooting their brown bear, most are close in this hunt method but some as close as 15 yards. (My wife said she will stay on the big boat when we go to hunt, said she would read... probably reading my life insurance papers I say.)

You used a term I am completely unfamiliar with and of course need to know the meaning and origin (little to no help from Google on my search).
What is meant by "Bark of the swamp" and could you please discuss the origin of this phrase? Even the etymology search turns up very little.

****! Dave I told you to put that recoil pad on your bicep and not your shoulder. Tyler's bruise is a lot more "Hematoma-erer" than yours.

Good Morning Ed.

My hematoma is headed onto my bicep too but I'm afraid it will still pale in comparison to Tyler's whopper. Maybe next time I'll give a try at a 20 round burst and try a "he-man" groin hold as a finisher (with pictures as proof)!

Dave
Looks like your rifle is ready for the task. I don't know what yourguide looks like but I think its time to start doing wind sprints. At 15 yards if all else fails I hope you can out run your guide:eek:

Alas, I wish that nasty bruising was mine, but it was from someone shooting a 45-120 with a steel buttplate. Being a youngster my arms are much more toned. :D

Dave,

You have PEEPS:eek: I looked all over town for the last two days and found no PEEPS:mad:

Holey crap! Chest deep in water and bear at up to 50 yds. Well, ya sure ain't gonna run:D

However, w/50# extra you may only be knee deep:D

For this hunt, if it were me I'd not dream really big. One bear at a time would be enough.

From the following you have enough gun. Leave the bow at home:rolleyes:

Watchyurback.;)

YouTube - Bear Killed While Charging Hunter

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.