**** it, I got out smarted!

I would love to see that article! Another 98 pound 1.5 year old wolf died today. On my friends ranch 10ish miles from where I last saw the wolves on the 24th. after we got done on our moon light coyote hunt he went to feed cows and found two wolves. he latter found a fresh deer kill. This is a group that started as three, that have been around all summer. A couple of weeks ago one female died, and today the second one a male got the air let out of him. The last one appears to be a pup by the track.
Good times
Good times? Hell, sounds like great times to me!:D

In mid November son in law and I went on an archery elk hunt in a known wolf area.

Saw 2 that day. One was simply passing through.

Was cow calling about 6 miles further on. I swear that an young female wolf was coming into the cow calling.

Dumb son in law got so hyped that he neglected to notice she was actually coming to the cow call. He completely blew it through excited motions. Thus we got busted.

Local chit chat says cow calling works. This is my only actual data point.

In mid November son in law and I went on an archery elk hunt in a known wolf area.

Saw 2 that day. One was simply passing through.

Was cow calling about 6 miles further on. I swear that an young female wolf was coming into the cow calling.

Dumb son in law got so hyped that he neglected to notice she was actually coming to the cow call. He completely blew it through excited motions. Thus we got busted.

Local chit chat says cow calling works. This is my only actual data point.

I appreciate all the info I can get and I have tried dang near everything there is. At this point I prefer the howl gig. I have had luck predator calling in the pre wolf hunting era with various predator calls, but they are getting pretty call shy. I found that if a guy can see a meandering wolf it is awesome! If the wolf is hunting and working on something you just blow your cover.

I really do see where cow calling could be a great tool in a different location or setting. Cow calling has never really worked for me because I am usually surrounded by the real deal, and if a person starts the squaking talking the real elk either scram, or get curious-figure you out and scram, or look at me like I am an idiot and wish I would scram......or just scram. Which is bad because I try to use their eyes and behavior to aid in my hunt.

The area I am hunting right now has a ton of elk on winter range. Today and most days I could see 500 elk within 800 yards of me. Plus the wind honestly blows a consistant 20-40mph and this is no B.S. So the sound would only travel 15 feet! I believe the wind even made me angry today so I went home before dark!
I did see one small wolf track that was down LOW....by the truck low, as I was hunting up high, because the wolves have been higher the last few days!

Just two days ago I set up to call a coyote with a big macho hunter friend, who I had never called coyotes with. The guy for some reason as I started to call felt compelled to get up and move twenty feet away! Argh! Then as luck would have it the darkest coyote I have seen for while pops up 100 yards away and ding dong starts yelling "great big wolf great big wolf" and running to me! The stupid coyote did a little loop and came back to listen to some more dying rabbit! He renamed it leaky tripod and we tracked it for two miles for the big kill shot. The look on his face when he picked up his 35 pound wolf.

are any of you allowed to bait?

When I lived in west central Alberta for awhile, the best way to get em' wa to bait em'.
It was always best to wait until there was over 2' of snow on the ground, but more was better. dig a path in the snow off a road or game trail being used, wolves dont like the deep snow any more than we do, so they will follow. dig some cow/deer carcases into the ground and put some water in the whole (keeps the dogs there longer). have your stand 200 yards out minimum. walla! wolves on your bait (OK not that easy, but it sounds good).
I have often wondered if it would work to dig paths in the snow, simply to get them to use a route, even if you arent allowed to bait it. that way you might get em' using a route you choose.
*disclaimer* i have never shot a wolf, but have set up baits with people that have.

Hmm I knever thought of bait..... Ya right dang now my nose is longer! By law it is not allowed. I can not even find a fresh kill to watch. I have been watching a dead elk frozen in the river, along a road probably with 200 other people a day. Only eagles eating so far. I told my dad today that if I stays this hard of hunting for too long, that I may just come home from the stock yards with a trailer full of cross hobbled goats. You think the bison make the headlines coming out of yellowstone, just wait until the retired hobbled milking goats start the migration.

I would never know but I would bet a wolf tag a little pile o' red would be magic!

I gotta gimped up goat that could be a decent candidate...:)

Also, there's a ton of useless Lamas up the road that I think could be talked into a hike. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.