I gotta know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not propaganda given out by the Montana Fish and Game to cover their crimes against the hunters of this state. Just so they could get an influx of Federal Wolf Management Money and hire 12 more Employees and cut the throat of the very Hunters that pay all their wages retirement and healthcare for themselves and their families.. Or the dread lock stinking hippies down carrying signs and howling like wolves at the Federal Courthouse in Missoula...So your such an expert you can believe what ever story you want. I guess if you want to sell me on your version you better be a better salesman because I am not only believe first hand eye witnesses but I am going to believe what I saw spending the whole winter out lion hunting wearing out sleds and trucks for years and not once did I find a wolf or a bigfoot track..all right on the very edge of the Pintler Wilderness no less. But that is a long long way from the hippies in Missoula that probably had pens of Wolves to get all this nonsense started.........Dave

Hey dgarrett, if you end up wolf hunting, let me know. Other than that, we're done. mtmuley

I do try and wolf hunt... but with my physical problems I am a shell of a hunter these days.... so truck hunting is all I can do and that is not most likely going to get it done unless I can find a wolf with Down Syndrome sitting next to the road. I could trap them as I have on multiple years caught over 100 Coyotes back before my hound days... But I am only good for a day of hunting then laid up for 4-5 days to try and re-coop and couldn't do the mandatory trap checks... But its a good excuse to get out of the house...You have a good day... Dave

I think the idea that the wolves of today are 50% bigger than the wolves of yesteryear is propaganda used to make the wolf reintroduction sound more sinister. Unless the little nice wolves that we used to have were able to keep the big monster wolves from the North from migrating South, then there is no logic to the size argument. We are lead to believe that the big wolves stayed to the north and we had no wolves accept for a few nice little ones. Then all of s sudden the 1000's that we have all came from transplanted animals and hippies raising malimute/wolf crosses and turning them all loose and the fish and game ran around collecting road kills and feeding the wolf dogs to keep them happy.

I do believe that the transplant efforts and protection efforts were done by anti hunters that would like nothing more than there to be no need for people to manage wildlife numbers. And if they could make that happen then they could work harder to the end of the 2nd amendment.

Canis Lupus irremotus existed as taxonomic classification if nothing else. One can either say it was eliminated by scientific/bureaucratic declassification, or subsequently pushed out by the wolves received from Canada. I don't know enough about wolves from either location to say, but I will say the timing stinks.

The fellow I know from BC having the most dead wolves in hand ( 25-40) for 20+ years tells me 120 lbs is a big wolf 140+ a monster. The biggest reliable report I find puts the scales at 175. Skull wise the Mountain Hunter record book has them just shy of 18", or a Pope and Young black bear. A big **** dog anyway you slice it.

The protein rich Lamar Valley would likely be the equivalent of a salmon stream for a grizzly, and produce a big percentage of big dogs.

The paper here reported an individual arrested in the act of "relocating" in the Wallowas, prior to the official releases. Fake news? Interesting here that the first wolf was killed by a car just a few miles south of an outfit selling wolf pups for years. The starry eyed biologist swore it had traveled hundreds if not thousands of miles to get hit by that car.

Our "Wildlife" department here continues to amaze, I saw a picture of a captured grizzly labeled as the first grizzly west of the Pend O'Reille river. Arrogance, or ignorance you pick.

The did not, did to arguments are irrelevant at this point. We had a world class Shiras Moose population, not so much anymore. Their disappearance coincided with the appearance of wolf tracks.

We lost, kicking each other over the specifics is largely irrelevant at this point.

I wish the Moose would read the script and the Yukon Moose would just migrate down. No Oceans to swim no 20 foot high border fences..
Our Shiras Moose population have plummeted also....Years ago it was easy to see 10-20 a day in a short trip close to town... Now none or 1-2 is all you can see...
I personally saw what was deemed the first wild so called migrating Wolves in the 9 mile Valley just west of Missoula... These were as tame as town dogs and the residents that lived close in that valley reported that the F and G was hauling road kill up to feed them... I never saw that but I did the wolves and No one will ever convince me these were not pen raised Wolves....

When I was just out of high school there where wolfs near where I still live.In my times out I saw there tracks,and there were sightings.I live in NW MT.This was 60 mile from my house and I ran into sign much closer as Ispent my time playing in the woods as I do now.These wolf most likely same ones as original but how would I know,they have lived in same area most of my life.My father in law bought what was a old ranch,one of the farthest north that borders Canada,we still have this in a shared corporation to keep it to enjoy.This is where Dianne Boyd started here wolf studies,she stayed in one of our old cabins off grid as a caretaker of sorts and studied the wolf for many years.I dont really know her,have met her and heard her speak,even recently as she works for F&G now.Back then I think it was colledge work.The hunting poor in this area as it is for me in most NW MT now,nothing like what I grew up with.They only allow 2 wolf tags there because borders GNP.I use to shoot a good bull and buck very year before wolfs really took hold.Started my son out the same,he almost give up because so poor now.He said when the F&G going to move elk here so we can hunt.

morning, put the wolf lovers inside a pen of hungry wolves.
then tell the wolves to eat. u will get a mixture
of very liberal wolf scat!!! justme gbot tum

I have heard the old timers in NE Wyoming say the wolves that were originally in this area were the "cattle wolves" variety; much bigger than the wolves now in NW Wyoming. The cattle wolves were "shot out" of the area by the 1920's, according to these old timers.

I am not sure what to believe when it comes to wolf sizes, but I do know when it comes to fish and past fishing, the fish were always much bigger decades ago. But, a lot of state record fish in WY were caught more recently.

Selective memory? You decide.

ClearCreek

With all the recent wolf hunting activity...... How many of you guys have hunted wolves? How many have killed one? Who lives in wolf country? Just trying to get a feel of the crowd here. Thanks, mtmuley

I was fortunate enough to take a good looking wolf in 2017, while bear hunting in Alaska. Yes, a 200 grain Nosler Partition from a 30-06 opens up nicely even on a wolf.

Living in central Washington, I can't hunt them here, but they're around. Especially for the past 10 years or so.

Regards, Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.