Is this where muzzleloading is going?!

I stopped at a small gun shop yesterday, and looked at a "muzzleloader/rifle" he builds on his custom bolt action. You put a primer in something that looks like a shell holder off my press, insert it into the bolt face and close the bolt action. It had a Bell and Carlson stock, TriggerTech trigger, and a 26" semi-bull stainless steel barrel. You pour the powder, 4198 i think, or something like that, and push a 327 grain, very steep pointed custom bullet ($1.25 each, nothing else can be substituted because of the bore fit) effortlessly down the tube and shoot.

With a long range scope, this combo shoots a chronographed bullet at 3,080 feet per second! He said the effective range for elk is 750 YARDS! Yes, it's not for the "average guy"...$4,750.00 each, cash money, sans scope of course.

So is this where Muzzleloading is going? Is this going to be the new definition of a "Primitive Weapon?"

I have no dog in this hunt, I tried it, it's ok, old age and eyesight took me out of the game with iron sights.
I'm guilty and Da@n proud of owning a smokeless muzzleloader!!! Absolutely love the accuracy and power these monsters deliver. Got another one being built as well. No one quit driving from the transition from Model T to modern vehicles, no one pulls their power meter out of the socket to light candles and haul water from the well in buckets. Hey we even went from switchboard phone to cell phones and internet.
Some people prefer to stay old fashioned and I don't think any modern muzzle loader looks down at them. Personal preferences are just that

Meh, a lot of people are going to down modern muzzle loaders because they feel the "intent" of the hunt isn't there. To that I'll say, this is how people view your regular hunting rifles and MSRs too. You don't need them because the founders didn't "intend" for more efficient firearms. Keep letting that divide get bigger between traditionalists and people just trying to make the best use of modern technology and see where that gets the hunting community. When states disallowed scopes and use of modern propellants, they alienated a lot of people who will just not hunt anymore. Eventually, no one will "need" to hunt and you and your kids won't need firearms. Just remember where it all started.

I'm not trying to start an argument or a ****storm. I was just absolutely astonished at what is now available to "guaranteed to get your elk" at 750 yards with a MZ. I'm not bad mouthing it or promoting it, just making some info available on the current state of the art technology available I guess.
Most states out west that rifle would not be allowed during the muzzle loader season due to several reasons in different states. Colorado for example I believe for elk is .50 minimum and open sites only, also has to be black powder or black powder substitute. Other states dictate it has to be a side lock, others state it has to be an open to the elements cap system and still others no scope, some no sabots bullets. I don't know anywhere out west that this rifle would be legal during muzzle loader season. Now they are legal during the general rifle season. I have one I built and I have to say it's one of the most accurate rifles I have and I have 3 custom rifle I shoot in Long range F-Class comps every month.

Most states out west that rifle would not be allowed during the muzzle loader season due to several reasons in different states. Colorado for example I believe for elk is .50 minimum and open sites only, also has to be black powder or black powder substitute. Other states dictate it has to be a side lock, others state it has to be an open to the elements cap system and still others no scope, some no sabots bullets. I don't know anywhere out west that this rifle would be legal during muzzle loader season. Now they are legal during the general rifle season. I have one I built and I have to say it's one of the most accurate rifles I have and I have 3 custom rifle I shoot in Long range F-Class comps every month.
Legal in Oklahoma. We even allow that one that uses powder "cartridges" to be inserted in the muzzle end. I'm all for it. It encourages folks to get out in the woods instead of staring at computers all day.

Wow, how long is your season ?
Archery opens around my house Oct. 1. Rest of the state Oct 15. Gun season at my house, I'm in a special zone. special muzzle loader Nov 1st until the 6th. Rifle starts Nov 7th and runs until end of Jan. rest of the state starts third Saturday in Nov. Ends Feb. 10 th. Rut around my home is in mid November. South Alabama is end of Jan until mid Feb. I've seen bucks chasing does at the 1st part of Turkey season in that auburn area. It's crazy the way the rut works in Alabama. It was restocked with deer from Wisconsin and north Carolina. Plus the native deer that rutted real late. So, from mid November until the end of February bucks are rutting somewhere in the state.

Hi Glenn,
I've had the same issue in both Wisconsin and Minnesota. Nice to hear from you. Take care.
Angus
I don't know how they all just disappeared, but they are not where I hunt. The EHD I think hammered more of them then what we thought. There was a 200" taken illegally in the area, but it's also some weather issues as well. The two worst firearm opening days I've ever had in both states. Pouring rain in MN, and a VERY cold winter storm and snow for the opening day in WI was to much! hope you are well. Say hi to Bill!

Legal in Oklahoma. We even allow that one that uses powder "cartridges" to be inserted in the muzzle end. I'm all for it. It encourages folks to get out in the woods instead of staring at computers all day.
Yes but I was referring to the reference "I was just absolutely astonished at what is now available to "guaranteed to get your elk" at 750 yards with a MZ." As I stated in all states out west that contain elk I don't know of one that they are legal in during muzzle loader season.. I know there are some states in eastern part of the country where they are legal during ML season but out west they are not. in fact it is difficult to figure out what BP rifle to buy because every state out here has its own set of rules on what is legal during ML season. I don't have a problem with them, as I stated I built one and have shot it out to 1140 yards and have killed several deer out to 875 yards granted it was during rifle season.

Yes but I was referring to the reference "I was just absolutely astonished at what is now available to "guaranteed to get your elk" at 750 yards with a MZ." As I stated in all states out west that contain elk I don't know of one that they are legal in during muzzle loader season.. I know there are some states in eastern part of the country where they are legal during ML season but out west they are not. in fact it is difficult to figure out what BP rifle to buy because every state out here has its own set of rules on what is legal during ML season. I don't have a problem with them, as I stated I built one and have shot it out to 1140 yards and have killed several deer out to 875 yards granted it was during rifle season.
Oklahoma has elk. They can't keep the dern things in Colorado lol

Oh, and rifles can shoot for miles now, but if the shooter is no good, the target doesn't matter.