Is this to high for a rifle scope?

Southernfryedyankee

Is there an advantage to having higher scope? This is a Dednutz Freedom Reaper/EGW combo

DSCN3423Medium.jpg

Only if you had an extremely canted base, like 60-100 MOA for shooting extremely long range. Otherwise you're just setting yourself up for poor cheek weld and a large short range line of site/bore axis descrepancy.

I'd say yup........unless you add an adjustable cheek piece which would take care of the cheek weld issue.

However, the lower the scope the better. Low but high enough for the bolt handle to clear the scope.

+1 Roy.

I like my scopes as low as possible as well, that's why I don't get the great big objective lens' on my scopes.

AJ

Bryan form Berger touched on this topic once. Something about getting what appears to be a flatter trajectory IIRC.

I would definitely choose some different rings and try to get the objective closer to the barrel. You are going to have a difficult time relaxing for the shot having to keep your head up to get the proper view through the scope. It's all about the cheek weld. My opinion is that if you are not having to check the distance between the barrel and the objective with a "feeler gauge" to get it as close as possible, then it is too far off the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.