Is this safe to clean and use ?

reloaderlen

I picked up this 300 Weatherby ammo and seen the oxidation .
Is this safe to clean with steel wool or trash it ?
I have a few hundred rounds like this.
In my many years I have never had this happen to this many.
One or two I would clean up with some steel wool and shoot away and back to the normal hand loading.
This is factory and I purchased it that way not knowing.
Whats your thoughts ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 255
Ehhhhh I was all ready to echo to above and say shoot it, but in addition to trying to steel wool off the big spots I'd pull one of the bullets, dump the powder, burn it, and pop the primer. Just to make sure it all goes correctly. Maybe the one two up from the bottom, that looks like the worst and largest corrosion spot visible.

If you do that - at the end of the day you have a reloadable case if it all works fine. Worst (or best case, depending on your point of view) you find green powder and avoid an exposive round of plastic surgury.

Not good....must have been stored in a damp area. As mentioned, 65,000 PSI is a lot of pressure. Scrap it.

Its not the way I stored it.
It was thrown in on a purchase.
although this will have me opening and looking at store bought ammunition .
Had a friend once purchase two boxes of 06 to drive a couple hundred miles to find it was 270 on the inside or vice versa been so long ago Ive forgot until now.
I was joshing you. I read your post.

I had some 20 VarTarg reloads do the same thing recently. Stored in a climate controlled environment, but not sealed in an ammo box. Had a bit of oxidation on the brass, took some steel wool to it and the case came apart in my hands. Had half a case in one hand the other half in my other. Never had this happen with untold amounts of ammo over the years. I have hundreds of pieces of brass bought at the same time, some loaded for years, and the one box of fifty is all that went bad, strange, strange, strange. Still using the rest of it with absolutely no issues. All I could think was something went haywire with the powder.