Is this 300 WBY leade beyond hope?

I'm pretty sure I have some brand new primed 300wby Hornady brass left from my last order. Probably 50 or more. If you are interested, I'll count it up.

My Vanguard wilderness got a Carbon Six prefit in 300prc.
Yes, let me know how many you have and price. Primer pockets are gone on his and we're unable to reload.

At 12 o'clock looking into breech
At 3 o'clock
At 6 o'clock
At 9 o'clock
In order of photos.

I had a hard stop on scope and measured up to .15 of missing/eroded lands at 9 and 12 o'clock area.
I had a rifle with a bore that looked this way and it shot Okay to great when super clean but fouled up quickly and the accuracy went to pot, it was a .223WSSM.

A friend's rifle I'm helping him reload for. It's a Weatherby Vanguard, 300 WBY mag. Gun is shooting very bad, velocities were 80 ES. 2 days of Wipeout cleaning got 90% of the copper and carbon ring. Have not shot it after all the cleaning and photos.
These pictures acquired from a Teslong bore scope in the leade area.
One picture shows the leade erosion. Part of the other leade rifling is barely visible/gone. The other shows cleaner leaching out of the fire cracking which gives some indication of depth of cracks.
So,
-continue searching for a load?
-is this chamber toast?
-is it salvageable by re-chamber?
-rebarrel?
I certainly have concerns it is shot out....

Bob,.. Re-read, your LAST, Line,..
MORE than, likely, it's,.. shot, OUT, Toasted !
As a Former Gunsmith, I've noticed that, most, Weatherby Barrels, ( in the Fast Calibers) last, only,.. 850 to 1,100 Rounds !
My Personal .270 WBY Mag. Mk V German went, out at, 850-900 rds then, One Day, the group's,.. Doubled, in size !
Made it into, a LOVELY .338 Win Mag, 25 1/2 " bbl'd.,.. Elk Slayer !
"Clover Leafing" the 210 Nosler's at, 2,975 FPS with, a Douglas Premium, Barrel !
I save, the End Flap's of my Bullet Boxes now, to remember,.. "Round Counts" !
"Junk IT" and pick another,.. "Good Caliber" and Barrel !
ONLY, Your "Friend's" will tell You the,.. TRUTH

Last edited:
A friend's rifle I'm helping him reload for. It's a Weatherby Vanguard, 300 WBY mag. Gun is shooting very bad, velocities were 80 ES. 2 days of Wipeout cleaning got 90% of the copper and carbon ring. Have not shot it after all the cleaning and photos.
These pictures acquired from a Teslong bore scope in the leade area.
One picture shows the leade erosion. Part of the other leade rifling is barely visible/gone. The other shows cleaner leaching out of the fire cracking which gives some indication of depth of cracks.
So,
-continue searching for a load?
-is this chamber toast?
-is it salvageable by re-chamber?
-rebarrel?
I certainly have concerns it is shot out....
This is my Mk V and the end of free bore and beginning of land (.300Wby - 500 rounds)

Attachments

• WIN_20220114_08_59_11_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220114_08_59_11_Pro.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 114
  • WIN_20220114_09_36_46_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220114_09_36_46_Pro.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 112
Bob,.. Re-read, your LAST, Line,..
MORE than, likely, it's,.. shot, OUT, Toasted !
As a Former Gunsmith, I've noticed that, most, Weatherby Barrels, ( in the Fast Calibers) last, only,.. 850 to 1,100 Rounds !
My Personal .270 WBY Mag. Mk V German went, out at, 850-900 rds then, One Day, the group's,.. Doubled, in size !
Made it into, a LOVELY .338 Win Mag, 25 1/2 " bbl'd.,.. Elk Slayer !
"Clover Leafing" the 210 Nosler's at, 2,975 FPS with, a Douglas Premium, Barrel !
Now I save, the End Flap's of my Bullet Boxes now, to remember,.. "Round Counts" !
"Junk IT" and pick another,.. "Good Caliber" and Barrel !
ONLY, Your "Friend's" will tell You the,.. TRUTH
I'm thinking he might bail on this one. I'm polishing and still running cleaner thru it to get copper out.

My prayers go out to the shooters shoulder who tries to get this rifle to shoot! Nothing more painfully frustrating than trying to get a lighter weight magnum through load testing/development.

With the current cost of components it's probably going to be cheaper and faster and less painful to start with a good baseline by spinning up a new barrel.

That being said.....I'd definitely do everything a cleaning rod could do to revive it. Scrub the bejesus out of it and if you can't make smaller groups with the next 20 rounds then you have your answer.

My prayers go out to the shooters shoulder who tries to get this rifle to shoot! Nothing more painfully frustrating than trying to get a lighter weight magnum through load testing/development.
Amen.
Last year my son asked me to build him a custom in .300 WSM.
Nothing exotic (no carbon), 6 lbs. He wouldn't let me brake it.
He shot it well (a couple of his H4350 loads shot under 1/2")- but his right shoulder was black and blue after about 30 rounds.

Had a buddy with a bad-ish back and shoulder who HAD to have an 8lb 300rum for carrying to a blind.... smh! He bought the components and I got a good load dialed in with some 180s. The rifle has been shot 48 times and 40 of those were me. Recoil fatigue is a real factor in accuracy yet I refuse to use a lead sled. At least you don't have to worry about burning a barrel in a rifle that kicks like Bruce Lee hahaha.

One of my project guns is a Vanguard in 300 Weatherby. How many rounds estimated had gone through the rifle OP was talking about. Even hot, friend must have shot a fair number rounds through the rifle.

Recent Posts