.300 Wby or .300 H&H in Rem 700 ?

orion2000

I have a Stainless Left Hand Rem 700 Factory LSS chambered for .300 Win Mag (prefix S632xxxx). I am considering building either a .300 Weatherby or .300 H&H. The factory BDL box magazine is long enough to accommodate the 3.600" COAL for these cartridges.

Is it be possible to simply have the factory Rem .300 WM action rebarreled and chambered ? Or, is there additional machine work required on the factory .300 WM action to accommodate the longer length for the .300 Wby or .300 H&H ?

All help greatly appreciated...

Certainly rebarrelled would work. Unless the barrel was heavy enough to set back significantly the H&H isn't going to clean up the original chamber. I'd have to sit down with dimensions but, I suspect the Weatherby could be made to work.
I can't see enough advantage in rechambering to justify the cost. If it shoots good enough as it is, I'd shoot it. If it doesn't meet your expectations rebarrel, and that opens up a lot of possibilities.

Harperc,

Thanks for the info. The plan is to rebarrel the action. I bought the rifle used (left hand stainless rigs are hard to come by...). The current barrel prints 3" to 4" patterns at 80 to 100 yards with a couple different brands of premium ammo. I have not put extensive effort into hand loading. But just figure to start over with a known good tube. (Douglas, Hart, Krieger, Lilja)

I originally "thought" that the action should work with the 3.600" cartridges. But was recently told by someone I believed to be knowledgeable that "The action was too short. Can't run the long cartridges in a Rem 700."

Now that I have that question answered, I just need to decide H&H or Wby...

Thanks for the info....

Warren

I'm a nut for a good H&H. 2900 fps with 200 grain bullets, in a 26" barrel. That said your probably better off with the Weatherby. You can always make 300 Weatherby cases from the H&H, in a long range configuration rifle, with a longer barrel, using heavier bullets I'd say there's enough advantage to justify the extra powder. The 300 Winchester in all reality can't be excluded. With a good barrel/chamber it has way more potential than your current rifle is offering.
I've never been very interested so I can't offer specifics, but I think an even longer magazine is available for the Remington 700. Might be something to look at.
Twist rate is something you'll want to think about, if your going to run some of the longer heavier bullets you'll want to be sure you can stabilize them.
I misread your first post you said nothing of rechambering sorry. I've got a new set of glasses on the way i've been dropping and mixing words.

Highridge,

I appreciate the input. The title of my post is actually misleading. I was really wondering if the long 3.6" cartridges would work in a Rem Long Action. It appears they will...

I already have a .375H&H for the upper end. And I have the parts for a .338-06 in the wings. Neither of these are a trully long range cartridge. But will meet my needs. Looking to fill in between the .338 and the .243 I typically use for most of my white tail hunting in Kentucky. The .300 Win Mag has the greatest selection of factory ammo by a huge margin. The .300 Weatherby is an all around "upper end" .300 without getting into what I call the super magnums. The .300 H&H appeals to me as a "classic" cartridge that can approach the other two with hand loaded midweight bullets and a 26" tube.

Again, I appreciate everyone's input.

Warren

Well for "classy" or "classic" .300 H&H wins. I shot mine out, re-barrelled to .338 RUM, and it's left a hole in my safe. Keep eyeballing the Cabela's anniversary #1 Rugers.

hello,I know some time has passed on this subject but I had to comment.We think alike.P.A gunsmith Kevin Cram(montour county rifles)put my rifle together.Rem.700 mag.bolt face(blued),Lilja #4fluted .300weatheby 27"w/muzzel brake.Custom kevlar/glass bedded stock and aLuopold 3.5x10x50 scope.Boy does it shoot.Last time out to the range I shot1.25"groups @200yrds with Hornady 180gr.SSTs. It givesw u confidence when u get accuracy like that.I also bilt a .375HH on a Rem.700 and amwaiting on a .338-06.Love those 700 actions! Dskiper:)

The standard long action is going to be tight for the H&H round. My old Model 70 has an extra long action to accommodate the longer case. As to choice of caliber, using hand loads, the H&H is going to produce ballistics very close to the 300Win Mag. Inherent accuracy is about the same as well. If you want more velocity, the RUM/WBY is the way to go.

DSK,

I appreciate the feedback regarding 'smiths. I will either send the barreled action off to Douglas, or use one of the smiths on LRH.

At this point the rifle is a used .300 WM with factory barrel that is not very accurate with two factory loads that I have tried. Rebarreling to another .300 WM would be the "practical option" from the stand point of ammo availability, ammo selection, resale potential. However, I am sometimes not a "practical guy", otherwise I would just buy another off the shelf, factory rifle and go hunt.

I already own a .375H&H that shoots very well by my standards. Having a pair of accurate rifles chambered in "classic" H&H cartridges appeals to me. OTOH, the .300Wby offers come significant upside potential. Whether I would use it or not, is not clear.

Once I get the money together, I will probably just flip a coin, build a rifle, and go hunt...

I had a Remington 700 reworked for my son in 300 Wby. Not a big deal, used a Krieger barrel, put it in a HS Percision stock, had PT&G make the reamer to the specs I wanted, very little freebore. It's a shooter. Had to have the bolt stop ground a little to shoot 200 grain SMKs. You'll have to get a Wyatt mag box to feed the rounds if you use the longer heavy bullets. We used a 3.90 Wyatt but you may want the next longer one if you want to feed Bergers, depends on the AOL. Other than the brass being a bit pricey there were no real down sides. He sold the HS stock and bottom metal, Joel Russo is now building him a stock and it's gonna be a one shooter. Lastly, it started off without a brake and it now has a brake on it, makes it alot more plesant to shoot and earier to see your hits. Just my .02 cents worth.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.