Rem 700/300 wthby rebarrel

oldno7

My 700 is from Remington custom shop(if that even matters)
It is chambered in 300 Roy. I want to re barrel and gear the barrel to
215gr. Bergers.
I'm guessing I need to go 1/10 twist, likely 26" as I intend to hunt with it as
well as target shoot out to 1000yds and beyond if the gun and more so myself are capable.
The current barrel has .495 freebore and has been a nightmare to develop a load for,
what freebore is recommended for the 215 Berger in a Wthby chamber?
Was looking at a Bartlein in a 3B sporter, any thoughts?
I've been reloading for 35+ years, so I do intend to only shoot reloads out of it, so
being unable to chamber factory rounds is not important to me--accuracy is!
Any thoughts and directions are greatly appreciated.

My thoughts...

I have a new 30 caliber Wildcat, I'm waiting on the stock. It has about the same powder capacity as a 300 Weatherby. My intention is to use either a 215 or 230 gr bullet. I don't know what the recommended free bore is but I had my reamer ground with .361" of free bore. My barrel is 26 inches long has a 9.5" twist. If I could do it over, I would get a 9" twist.

Thanks Edd

Your input on freebore is helpful.
I was set on the 1:10, do you think more spin would be needed for the 215?

You can go to the Berger website and play with their spin calculator. The temperature and altitude where you hunt will have a big effect on the twist you need. But as I previously said, if I could do mine over, I would order a 9" twist.

I sent off an e-mail to Berger about the same time I posted here, this was their response,
I hope it may benefit others as well. I never considered sub-sonic flight but at ELR it would certainly come into play. This was likely Edd's point as well.

(response)
What we suggest when figuring free bore is to seat a 215 hybrid in a cartridge case till the base of the bullet is about midway in the shoulder. And get with your gunsmith to figure the free bore. This is a HYBRID target bullet so it is very tolerant of jump and easy to tune for. Or you can contact Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and see what he suggests in a reamer and free bore. If you are planning to run these rounds through the magazine box you may find after finding your bullet seating depth sweet spot that the round will not fit in the magazine. There are extended aftermarket magazines available through Brownells or Wyatts Outdoor Custom Rifles. These give you an extra .110 in length in the magazine box over stock and can be installed by your gunsmith. The 1-10 twist rate is fine .But if you can get a 1-9" you will find the bullet to be more stable as it gets to trans and subsonic velocities. You have any more questions Kurt, please feel free to contact us! Thanks for using our bullets!

I guess im wondering why you wouldnt set back and rechamber the existing barrel?

Current barrel is a sporter @ 24"--1:12 twist
It has been very difficult to load for.
I wanted to build the gun around the 215 Berger and the current twist rate wouldn't work.
Also wanted a couple more inches of barrel to get more fps out of the wthby round.

Seemed like a lot of good reasons to abandon the factory barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.