Is this 300 WBY leade beyond hope?

61 primed unfired brass
2 fired sized and primed unknown load count, but maybe 3 times
13 fired brass unknown load count, but probably about 3 times also
22 loaded rounds with 180gr Sierra tipped game changers. Probably 2 times reloaded.

The issue of course may be shipping primed brass or loaded ammo. Where do you reside? I'm between Austin and San Antonio, Texas.

Never mind, I see Arizona...

I can always knock the primers out if it can't be shipped and you want the brass. They are doing me no good. If you give me some time to prep them I'll send them for shipping cost. Maybe the karma will land me some 215 Bergers.

My prayers go out to the shooters shoulder who tries to get this rifle to shoot! Nothing more painfully frustrating than trying to get a lighter weight magnum through load testing/development.

With the current cost of components it's probably going to be cheaper and faster and less painful to start with a good baseline by spinning up a new barrel.

That being said.....I'd definitely do everything a cleaning rod could do to revive it. Scrub the bejesus out of it and if you can't make smaller groups with the next 20 rounds then you have your answer.
I agree lol. I told him I was gathering the info on this thread from people I respect in this sport. So, I think he's processing a new rifle and if I were him, it'd have at least a snazzy effective brake on it.
My nightmare sighting in a 340 WBY mag many years ago taught me that. My eyebrow in that scope 3 times was enough for me.

One of my project guns is a Vanguard in 300 Weatherby. How many rounds estimated had gone through the rifle OP was talking about. Even hot, friend must have shot a fair number rounds through the rifle.
He got this from his son, who won it in a sportsman's raffle. He doesn't know the round count and thinks it is in the 300's. I think not, but sighting it in for him makes him hurry too much. (Quick and painful death) Therefore, hot barrel always I believe.

61 primed unfired brass
2 fired sized and primed unknown load count, but maybe 3 times
13 fired brass unknown load count, but probably about 3 times also
22 loaded rounds with 180gr Sierra tipped game changers. Probably 2 times reloaded.

The issue of course may be shipping primed brass or loaded ammo. Where do you reside? I'm between Austin and San Antonio, Texas.
I'm in Phoenix area. Shipping brass is fine, people/businesses ship ammo, so I can check with UPS and look up ATF info I guess just to see.

Never mind, I see Arizona...

I can always knock the primers out if it can't be shipped and you want the brass. They are doing me no good. If you give me some time to prep them I'll send them for shipping cost. Maybe the karma will land me some 215 Bergers.
Let's do that. Let me know your shipping $ and I will figure out a way to send positive karma!
Private message me if you want.

should be able to ship like you do with ammo as orm-d small arms... ups should take it from one of their real sites (not the "mail-box") type site... I've done it with ammo and it's not really an extra charge. Haz-mat is a different ballgame and I'll not play with that.

So, the final tally is this barrel is a tomato stake as my friend Ron is shopping a gunsmith to spin one up. I'm trying to convince him to chamber in something else. He's not patient enough to let things cool, especially the fire breather the 300 WBY is. For his declared max of 500 yards, there are lots of options.

A 45-70 with a chrome lined bore ;)

I didn't switch to PRC for any reason other than overall length, the ability to seat the bullets that I wanted where I wanted and still fit in that action (which is still tight, but MUCH better). I can tell you that you will be much more happy with a shorter round than the WBY in that action, especially with a 500yd self imposition. Heck, I'd be willing to bet that a WSM would fit it nicely and cycle just fine.

Steve

So, the final tally is this barrel is a tomato stake as my friend Ron is shopping a gunsmith to spin one up. I'm trying to convince him to chamber in something else. He's not patient enough to let things cool, especially the fire breather the 300 WBY is. For his declared max of 500 yards, there are lots of options.
take him out to 338win/340 bee... the cost alone will slow his butt down a bit and they are going to last a bit longer than a 30 or 7mm with that case size...

Something with a lot of recoil and expensive rounds. Limit his shots to 10/outing.

Seriously, I have a few rifles in 300WBY, even a WIN M70. Two of mine (Mark V) have similar "firecracking" as your friend's and still shoot under 1/2".
I didn't see the post the first time, but didn't know what he was loading. One thing for sure, Weatherby loads need a LOT of jump!

A friend's rifle I'm helping him reload for. It's a Weatherby Vanguard, 300 WBY mag. Gun is shooting very bad, velocities were 80 ES. 2 days of Wipeout cleaning got 90% of the copper and carbon ring. Have not shot it after all the cleaning and photos.
These pictures acquired from a Teslong bore scope in the leade area.
One picture shows the leade erosion. Part of the other leade rifling is barely visible/gone. The other shows cleaner leaching out of the fire cracking which gives some indication of depth of cracks.
So,
-continue searching for a load?
-is this chamber toast?
-is it salvageable by re-chamber?
-rebarrel?
I certainly have concerns it is shot out....
How is the bolt face?

A friend's rifle I'm helping him reload for. It's a Weatherby Vanguard, 300 WBY mag. Gun is shooting very bad, velocities were 80 ES. 2 days of Wipeout cleaning got 90% of the copper and carbon ring. Have not shot it after all the cleaning and photos.
One picture shows the leade erosion. Part of the other leade rifling is barely visible/gone. The other shows cleaner leaching out of the fire cracking which gives some indication of depth of cracks.
So,
-is this chamber toast?
-rebarrel?
All is not lost…my Gunwerks 7LRM has similar fire cracking confirmed with my Teslong Bore Scope. I maintain my rifle's accuracy by cleaning with Wipeout's Accelerator and Patch Out, followed by Lock.Ease Graphite to fill the cracks. I have not found it necessary to use a bore paste. I have shot my rifle 1126 times with hand loads and it remains deadly accurate.
For a second opinion, see Eric Cortina's YouTube video on barrel cleaning/life featuring Frank Gonzales, HOF bench rest shooter.
Good Luck.

So,
-is this chamber toast?
-rebarrel?
I certainly have concerns it is sho
At 12 o'clock looking into breech
At 3 o'clock
At 6 o'clock
At 9 o'clock
In order of photos.

I had a hard stop on scope and measured up to .15 of missing/eroded lands at 9 and 12 o'clock area.
So,
-is this chamber toast?
-rebarrel?

this is my .300Wby Mk V freebore. shot count about 400

Attachments

• WIN_20220131_22_42_25_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220131_22_42_25_Pro.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 30