Is Stevens 200 long action available in LARGE shank?

Max Heat

Are Stevens bolt actions the same as Savage? So far I am batting zero on finding a Savage LARGE shank LONG action receiver. So now I'd like to expand my search options to include Stevens 200 actions, IF they can be used in place of a Savage action without modding. The pickinz are lookin pretty slim indeed for the Savage long action, in large shank.

The stevens actions are old surplus savage actions and are small shank. The only large shank savage actions that Im aware of are their target actions...otherwise your looking at a small shank world.

There are no large shank Stevens unless a smith opened them up. The only large shank long action I know of is the model 116 in RUM, a short action in WSM like my model 12, Target action or the new Savage long action in 338 Lapua.
Stevens are not surplus by the way, they are current production rifles.

Exactly why large shank, you have .060" more barrel and .060" less action. Neither you or the rifle will know the difference after is assembled. Get a small shank its virtually identical to a remington 700 but is 20 tpi instead of 16, stop ****ing in the wind. The only reason the lapua is a large shank is because it is based off a modified target action, if not it would be a small shank. If you wanna split hairs, pony up and buy a defiance, surgeon, or stiller.

bangHeadAgainstWall.gif

OK. You asked, so I'll try to make a "reasonable" attempt, at explaining MY reasoning, behind it. I don't proclaim to be any sort of smith or gun "expert", but I DO (like to believe that I) know more then your average joe, when it comes to the subject of firearms. So try to keep in mind, that this is merely some crazy old idiot's NON-professional opinion. That shouldn't be very difficult, right? That being said, my "primary" reasoning ISN'T the extra .060 of what you are calling "barrel", that is inside of the action. It is the extra .060 that is OUTSIDE of the action. And I even feel that it is misleading to call it barrel! The way I see it, using that word clouds the mind from seeing it for what it REALLY is. Everyone is free to think what they want I guess, but what I see in that extra .060 is "chamber", not barrel. And, most of the chamber IS outside of the action. Some of the secondary reasons would include: Since the RUMs operate at a higher pressure, going larger maintains the same amount of safety margin, before possible failure might occur. But with the regular shank, some safety margin IS going to be lost. It's like walking that much closer to the cliff that you could fall off of! That fact that they stepped away from standard shank RUMs, very early in the game, along with the major barrel manufacturers shying away from making standard shank RUMS barrels, makes me think that THEY probably had good reasons for doing it. And since THEY pretty much ARE the industry, it only make sense (to me, anyways) to conform to what THEY dictate, if not for compatibility reasons alone. For all intents and purposes, the standard shank RUM is now "wildcat". And wildcat is something that someone like me would probably be best off staying away from. What I mean, is that I'm the sort of individual who doesn't just hotrod guns, I hotrod about everything I own! Don't let this get around, but I think that I just might have the disorder, er wait, let's call it a "condition", that is commonly referred to as "the need for speed". For boys like us, it just might be a smart idea not to play quite so close to the edge, if you know what I mean! If you don't, let me summarize it by saying: I just ain't worth loosing "face" over. I'll list just one more. Then I gotta go. It's getting pretty late around here. Speaking of face, has anyone else heard of the 2 known cases of SS RUM failures. But I'll stay on a positive note here, and just say that the good news, assuming that it really WAS good news, is that both of them did survive!

Hey genious, wonder why they put wsm's and rum's on a model 70 with 1" 16tpi, because its "safe". You can have a barrel stepped up behind or in front of (how ever you look at it) the barrel nut or of it concerns you that much you can have a 1.3" barrel threaded and shoulder to the action like a remington. Oh and every company I deal with will chamber a 404jeffery based cartridge on a standard, some will even do lapua and large weatherby. One more thing that I have mentioned probably a dozen times or more, pressure is pressure the action has no idea what cartridge its shooting, and a 22-250 tops out the same as a RUM 65kpsi, and the rifle is proof tested to handle 129k psi before grenading although as some would say no matter what you're using occasionally "**** happens!"

Again,

You don't need a large shank for a RUM sized chamber. Small shank works fine. Period.

No amount of arguing or blabber will convince anyone otherwise. Especially those of us that have them on small shanks.

If you are really worried about it, thread your barrel with a shoulder and be done.

I'm getting tired of trying to get people to understand where I'm coming from on this. So if this final attempt doesn't make it clear enough, it won't make any sense to continue (on and on). First of all, if they didn't go to the large shank for safely/liability reasons (I wonder if they faced lawsuits from the 2 who did experience failures), I have not heard ANY definitive answer on why they did do it. I'd prefer to refer to it as "intuition", rather than "genius", which is telling me that it just "might" have been for the purpose of covering those like me, who have the tendency to operate right at the edge. I'm NOT trying to imply that standard shank RUMs are unsafe for everybody. NOR am I implying that those who DO run them are nuts, IF that sounds like how am coming off. But I'll admit that my decision not to go standard shank IS primarily based on fear . From my experience, fear can be fraught with pitfalls, when it comes to the "proper" management of it. Are you controlling it, or is IT controlling YOU? Let's just say that the "line" can become very blurry sometimes. In light of that, I'm not seeing how you could argue with the following statement: For those having the "hotrod" mentality (and throw in ADHD on top of that), the best choice would obviously be, to err on the side of safety, if that choice IS in fact, an error!

OK, Maybe I wasn't quite finished. I AM dying to know WHY they walked away from the standard shank RUM (&LAP), if it wasn't for liability concerns. But that begs the question of why they then walked away from RUM completely, even on the 1.12" shank. After a couple of weeks of searching, I haven't been able to find one of them anyways. So they must not have made very many of those either, before completely ditching them. And since rem goes 1.3" on them, it does make me wonder if 1.12" even provided enough of a liability "buffer". With that, I don't see any other option (for myself, anyways), but to go "REM on RUM"!

We are experiencing the same frustration with you. You have been unwilling to listen and understand where we are coming from. Our understanding of their limitations comes from experience with them.

I'd imagine if it was for liability they would have recalled the WSM's and RUM's built on small shanks. There's been no recall.

I'm sure the motivation for Savage was because it pencils on paper stronger than a small shank. Being an engineer myself, I know that what happens on paper isn't always what happens in reality.

If you're worried about safety on a hot load, you are safer with the small shank. A hot load in a large shank has been known to split the thinner barrel nut allowing the headspace to grow. The small shank nut has enough thickness to handle the swelling without rupture.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.