Stevens action model 200

nddodd

I know this probably doesn't belong on this thread but it hasn't got any response on gunsmithing. My question is could a magazine assembly for a long action savage work on my Stevens long action.

Thanks so much,
Nathan

The Savage and Stevens actions are the same.

This is probably going to be another dumb question but, do the box and magazine attatch to the bottom of the action like a rem 700 does or is there a little more to it than that.

Thanks for your help,
Nathan

The staggered feed mag boxes attach to the action, the centerfeed boxes don't and are held in place by the stock. The staggered boxes have tabs on each end and the action has slots for them.

Hey KRP were could a man get a centerfed magazine assembly, midway doesnt list as centerfed or staggerfed.

Thanks
Nathan

You could call Sharp Shooter Supply too see of they have one lying around, find a take off in the classifieds(try the Savage Shooters forum), or get one direct from Savage. Midway still only has the staggered mag boxes.

I'm looking for a budget elk rifle in either 7 rem mag or 300 win mag. I seem to remember someone saying that the Stevens was a great deal. What's your experience with it? You shoot any groups with it yet?

Mine is a semi custom rifle, Mcgowan barrel no barrel nut, defensive edge 1" brake, stockade tactical stock. It shoots lights out, best shooting gun ive ever owned.

Nathan

Thanks for the info.

How is the trigger, they don't come with the accutrigger right?

With its sporter barrel, plastic stock and plain trigger the Stevens makes a great light/fast short/medium range critter-getter... A bench gun it aint. Kinda like a small block Chevy though in that there are a lot of thing you can do to improve and/or make it fit your needs.
The biggest improvement I've found is to move the sling stud back a couple of inches so it rides a bipod better.
The trigger can be piano wired to a lighter spring along with lightly honeing the surfaces to smooth out the trigger pull. An aftermarket trigger or an old three screw Savage trigger will make it easier as well as better.

Okay well I like the sounds of it so far. I think I want to get one in
7rm. Since this thing is so cheap I'll be able to save more for good glass.

The basic Stevens package is a good deal. I picked up the 7mm-08 added Basix trigger and just fitted the center-feed into a Boyd's stock and getting .75 groups consistently with Sierra 140's. I have take 4 hogs with this rifle and load up to 302yds and they were all DRT!. You wont be disappointed.

I wanted to add picked mine up for $175 at Academy Sports.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.