Is Stevens 200 long action available in LARGE shank?

To answer the original question = no the Stevens is not available in large shank......YET!
My red-neck take on the large vrs standard shank is this= I dont give a rats ***
I prefer standard shank as thats what fits in all my ancient savages,old Stevens and cheap Axis/Edges
Savage on the other hand is makeing what they figure they can sell :D

UPDATE: I finally gave up on savage RUM, and went remington. I hope this doesn't make any savage fans mad, but I finally realized that going from small to large shank wasn't the complete story, anyways. It seems that the 1.12" large shank really didn't cut the mustard either. They also ditched on that one for RUM, after only a few years. The question again is why? If I heard correctly, rem goes 1.3" on the barrel shank. That's .24" over the SSS, as opposed to only .06" over, for the SLS. That's a factor of 4x - pretty significant, I would say. And THEY are still in the RUM game. But regardless, the bottom line is that I could not find find what I wanted in savage anyways. I guess it was the stock that I had already purchased for savage LA that kept me hanging on so long. Anyways, my stainless remington 7RUM should be here in a few days. I do plan on keeping my SSS 7mag though, and would still consider re-barreling/chambering it to what is available in standard shank.

P. S. There IS 1 thing that I think remington just might be ditching on though. That would be the carbon steel (blued) barreled 7RUMs. I think the reason likely has to do with short barrel life.

Wrong again 4140 chromoly is stronger and will last longer than 416r, it takes a long time to cut a rum size chamber in 416r and even longer in 4140, so it takes longer and is harder on tooling. Btw your rem 700 still has 1.062"x16tpi action threads and a 1.250" shoulder, learn a few things before you ask for advice and then bash and argue with the advisors.

Seriously? What I mentioned there was based entirely on info that I got off of THIS site. I guess you can't believe everything that you read on the web. But you do have a point, in that taking something as "gospel" without verification, and then repeating it, is just as bad of a "sin" as being the original disseminater of the bad info, even though the intent was good.

If what you say about stainless is true, it bums me out. What I read (on this site), was that stainless will get you approximately 20% more barrel life than non-stainless. But maybe it was only 1 person who said it (as an "opinion" maybe?), and then maybe I extrapolated it into a "general consensus"? I'm not sure. But apparently, it looks like I'm going to have to stand "corrected".

Of course that means I need to look at YOU in the same light (as just an opinion). But being that you say you are one of the moderators on this site, it does give a lot more weight to what you have to say. Now you are saying the opposite of what I thought the situation to be for stainless barrel life. So what is YOUR estimate, percentage wise, of how much LESS the life of a stainless barrel is, shot wise?

Also, why do YOU think that rem discontinued the non-stainless version of the 700 SPS in 7RUM (84152), if it has better life than stainless??

The short answer, Remington is cheap. I suspect if they discontinue the 7mm rum in chromoly that they will discontinue all rum and lapau sized chamberings in chromoly.
Chromoloy is much tougher/ harder than 416r ss, it takes longer to contour, chamber, crown, lap, etc... this is why lots of gunsmiths prefer not to use it, it is harder on and wares out tooling faster. If it wasn't tough though the military would be using 416r instead of 4140 in the M16s.

OK, fair enough. Like you were saying, I do need to take in more info, and put out less, especially when it comes to things that I don't know enough about. People do tend to believe what they read, and the last thing I want to do is mis-lead anybody. So I hope you don't mind a couple more questions.

About the 1.3" shank, might that be the OD of the section that is in front of the threaded section, on rem shanks, or the TOTAL thickness at the threaded section, with the receiver thickness figured in? I haven't received my 700SPS yet, to be able to mic things out.

I could be off on this, but the other thing that I'm beginning to suspect, is that maybe there are non-stainless barrels made that are ALSO non-chrome/moly. Could that be the case, considering how tough you say the C/M is to mill? If so, that might explain the 20% more stainless life that I heard.

There are all kinds of metals and grades that barrels are made of but the most commen are 416r ss and 4140 chromoly, suposedly remington uses 4140, I truely do not know because if I get a remington that shoots under .5" I leave it alone until it needs attention, but most of the time they won't consistently do it, so the barrel gets scrapped and replaced by a custom. The 1.25-1.3" that you speak of is just the shoulder where it butts up against the recoil lug, behind that the barrel theards are 1.0625"x 16 threads per inch, this is why everyone is telling you a savage is fine, it is 1.060"x 20 threads per inch, also the savages usually have .010-.015" more bolt lug contact. Your best bet would have been to get a barrel blank and have a gunsmith shoulder it on a savage action, then it would be the same as the SPS you ordered with the benefits of an accutrigger and floating bolthead, not to mention the new SPS actions feel like they are running on 80 grit sandpaper when cycling the bolt. Parts wise though remington definently has the advantage.

So rem is about = to SS savage then, anyways? NOW I understand what everybody was trying to say (after it's now late to change my decision, of course!). I would have been where I am now, if only I had looked harder to find a 7RUM barrel for my small shank savage long action. But it would have cost me less, and probably could have had the long heavy barrel that I would have liked also, for less than I'm into now. But that's right on par with how my luck usually goes, anyways!

I'm not looking forward to the sandpaper feeling on the rem, that's for sure. I do plan to clean and let cool down before every shot, for 1st couple dozen, anyways. I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that it will help keep the accuracy tight. I don't think I'll be very happy if it's outside of the numbers that you stated.

Maybe rem discontinued the non-stainless for reasons of harder to machine, while making less $ on them due to lower selling price?

That's alright, in 6-700 rounds you can send it off, have it trued and lapped, have a nice 30" Lilja or Broughton barrel put on, a rifle basix or jewell trigger, and a HS or Manners stock and have a real nice rig. Rem 700s are always atleast good donors for a custom, because everybody and there brother makes parts for them and works on them. Yeah a 30" CBI savage varmint taper 9 twist rum barrel with a Vias brake would have been under 450.

Between the 640 (including transfer fee) that the rem cost, and 2X190, for both stocks, I'm in for 1,020. And I still only have factory length/contour barrels. That wasn't really my intent, but it's the reality that I'll have to work with for a while now.

As my luck typically pans out, I think I now see yet one more snag, before I can finally start shooting what is going to be my main rig. It's an issue with the stock, which I haven't even received yet. But at this point, nobody can talk me out of the UV stock. I absolutely prefer heavyweights, when it comes to ALL of my "hand tools". When I've been questioned about heavy tools taking more out of me after 8 hours of using them, the only thing that comes to mind is, "I don't seem to notice it". For me, heavy just has the right "feel". And it also has the feeling of "stability", when it comes to taking the shot.

I'm not totally sure if it IS a problem or not though. I didn't realize that the SPS had a hinged floor plate, until recently looking THIS over:

Remington 7MM Rem Ultra Mag Special Purpose Synthetic w/26" Stainless Barre The Model 700 SPS stainless (special purpose synthetic) offers everything you love about the legendary model 700. From the rock solid receiver design to the famous three rings of steel. The Model 700 SPS stainless features an improved, ergonomically designed synthetic stock for better handling and enhanced overall functionality. The bead blasted 416 stainless steel barreled action comes clean without sights and is drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Standard amenities include the revolutionary SuperCell recoil pad, a hinged floor plate magazine, and swivel studs. SPECIFICATIONS: Mfg Item Num: 84300 Category: FIREARMS - RIFLES Action :Bolt Action Caliber :7 MM Remington Ultra Mag Barrel Length :26" Capacity :3 + 1 Trigger :X-Mark Pro Safety :Two Position Length :46 1/2" Weight :7 5/8 lbs Stock :Black Synthetic Finish :Stainless

Does that imply that it uses a detachable magazine?

According to what is listed on their site, the choate ultimate varmint stock that is on it's way isn't compatible with a detachable mag. The fix doesn't appear to be all that big of a deal though. It should be just a matter of changing the trigger guard assembly to one that doesn't have the hinged plate attached to it, right?

What I am not clear on at this point though, is if the hinged floor plate does indeed mean that it uses a detachable mag. It WOULD seem to, I think. But I need a definite yes or no, so I can get the part ordered, if that IS the case. Thanks.

-Steve

P.S. - I'm also curious as to what the "famous 3 rings of steel" actually means (this WILL be my 1st 700).

The three rings of steel is a BS safety, sounds good kinda selling point that a lot of firing arms companies use, remington seems to want to brag about it. It just means the cartridge is surrounded by the chamber in the barrel (1 ring) the bolt head (ring 2) and the reciever itself (ring 3) same as savage or post 64 model 70 winchester that's not controlled round feed.
SPS is the cheaper BDL of rem 700s the hinged floor plate is just that, you load the rounds through the top of the reciever into the internal mag, but if need be you push the release on the trigger guard to release the floor plate and it dumps the cartridges out making it easy to unload fast. It is NOT a detachable magizine. The choate stock will work, but personally for almost the same weight, better function, and much better looks the Bell and Carlson Medalist A2 is a much nicer stock as is the HS precision M24 vertical.

OK, thanks for the info. It looks like I'm GTG for now.

I haven't checked out the stocks you mentioned yet, but at least I know there IS somewhere to go on a heavyweight, if/when I do decide to step up. My next step-up priority from here would have to be in a barrel though. Then maybe a better quality scope.....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.