Which long action savage is a large shank

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by nddodd, Feb 3, 2011.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Earnhardt

Earnhardt Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks!...
    Any tricks in regards to building a big boomer on these actions?
    What company makes the longest DBM box?
    I have a Savage MLII smokeless muzzle loader and it was recommended to use a G-Force Farrell base to help stiffen up the action. (Maybe BS)
    How about trigger options?
    Thanks

2. jasonco

jasonco Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Big Boomer? Lots of trigger options. The the best one, Sharp Shooters Supply, isn't made anymore that I'm aware if? I have one, it's money! If it's a late 80's-90's, you can work with those for a crisp, but on the heavy side break. The current Accutrigger best of all.

3. Earnhardt

Big boomer...300 RUM or a 338 Edge... something on that order.

4. jasonco

jasonco Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Long action 110: lengthened mag box and bottom of action each .250", if you want to mag load. The mag box, when I had mine done long ago, took some work to function 100%. A Wyatt's could probably be fitted? The 700 Rem and 110 Sav are dimensionally the same. I bought another 700 LRH stainless, specifically to build a 338 Edge, it was actually lower priced than a Savage, but have since decided to just to keep it 300RUM because it shoots amazing with 210VLDH and 212 ELDX bullets over Retumbo!

5. Gord0

Gord0 Well-Known Member

Bugholes.com bugnut system. Nuff said.

jasonco likes this.
  6. tim_w

tim_w Well-Known Member

You can always open up any small shank reciever to the large shank threads. That wqould also ensure they are perfectly inline wqith the centerline and get the face squared as well.

The reason for the larger shank is not just about the area inside the receiver but IMO its more about its diameter outside where the barrel nut is. On all other actions you have the shoulder at 1.25 and larger where the savage is noblarger than the thread major. That area is under just outside the receiver is seeing those same pressures. In fact wqhen you see barrels fail many times its right there on non shouldered barrels. See it all the time with ARs as well. That barrel nut does not get factored in computing hoop stress. IMHO that is why you see large shank for wsm rsaum actions and did for rums as well.

Earnhardt likes this.
  7. Rich Coyle

Rich Coyle Well-Known Member

I built a 6.5-.338 RUM using .300 brass so the neck was .100" longer. The action is small. 140's run 3,420 from 26" Lilja.

jasonco likes this.
  8. Earnhardt

OMG! 3420 fps!
    Does it make the sound of a laser when fired? :D
    Rich, which action/model?
    Any of these long actions come with a Target accutrigger? Or can a Target Accutrigger be installed in one?
    Thanks

9. Rich Coyle

Rich Coyle Well-Known Member

I'm not a bright fellow. I took an old 7 mag, the barrel, and the reamer to the 'smith. I don't know the action number.

10. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

Time to find a couple more smith's. They are being overly cautious with no need.

jasonco and tbrice23 like this.