Is my new adjustable gas block bad?

C-130 Dude

Just did a rebarrell on my AR308. Decided to put a new Superlative adj gas block on it. Have used many different adj blocks on ar15 and ar10 in the past. Setting up this one is a bit different, to say the least. The gas pressure adjustments call for tuning excess gas out, not just blocking/limiting it. Followed directions by the letter. Even called the company tech line twice to make sure I was doing it right. So I pulled it off and put my old adj block on it. The old one works fine. The reason I wanted to try this one is to reduce the fouling problem standard adj gas blocks incur. The Superlative is supposed to vent excess gas out, not limit the gas via constricting it. Bottom line is this, has anyone had experience with this specific gas block? And did you have tuning issues? What did you do to get it running correctly? Is it possible I got a lemon???

I have a couple on suppressed rifles, I haven't had any issues with them, but it is a different way of doing it. On the first one I followed the instructions, it worked fine, burned probably 20-25 rounds getting it dialed with the suppressor and it still ran fine without the can. The second one I ignored the directions, opened it way up, and started shooting. I burned probably 20-25 rounds getting it dialed by closing several clicks at a time until ejection was strong and it too ran fine without the can.

I like the idea, it should be a better way with it venting excess gas, it should stay cleaner than the restriction type blocks but I can't say that it does. It does reduce the gas in my face with the can on the rifle over a non adjustable block and that is nice at night using lights. During the daylight hours the gas doesn't really bother me. I would buy again based on my experience with them, I have one waiting for a rifle project now.

I have owned three all purchased at the same time. Only one was easy to use and worked as I hoped. The other two have been replaced.
Why did you replace them? I opened the gas block 4.5 turns as the directions stated. It should have been fully open at that time. However, I couldn't get the bolt to lock back. I started to continue opening the valve until I got it open 9.5 turns. Only then did it lock back the bolt. Then opened it one more turn as I was instructed. Sound familiar???

Last edited:
I have a couple on suppressed rifles, I haven't had any issues with them, but it is a different way of doing it. On the first one I followed the instructions, it worked fine, burned probably 20-25 rounds getting it dialed with the suppressor and it still ran fine without the can. The second one I ignored the directions, opened it way up, and started shooting. I burned probably 20-25 rounds getting it dialed by closing several clicks at a time until ejection was strong and it too ran fine without the can.

I like the idea, it should be a better way with it venting excess gas, it should stay cleaner than the restriction type blocks but I can't say that it does. It does reduce the gas in my face with the can on the rifle over a non adjustable block and that is nice at night using lights. During the daylight hours the gas doesn't really bother me. I would buy again based on my experience with them, I have one waiting for a rifle project now.
I opened the gas block 4.5 turns as the directions stated. It should have been fully open at that time. However, I couldn't get the bolt to lock back. I started to continue opening the valve until I got it open 9.5 turns. Only then did it lock back the bolt. Then opened it one more turn as I was instructed. Sound familiar???

I've never heard of "excess gas" --- I like to keep as much gas behind the bullet as possible to push it down the barrel--- I've never understood the design behind the superlative gb's
Instead of just a restriction, the what would go unto the gas tube gets vented out.

I've never heard of "excess gas" --- I like to keep as much gas behind the bullet as possible to push it down the barrel--- I've never understood the design behind the superlative gb's
The gas that is used to operate the bolt carrier via a gas block is minimal and necessary in function of a gas operating system. It really has nothing to do with the bullet going down the barrel. Take a look at the gas system operation YouTube animated videos to see its functionality. The Superlative gas block vents gas out rather than regulating it like a conventional adj gas block. Any gas you limit or regulate is "excess". You don't need it, that's why you tune it out. Their design is supposed to keep gas from coming back into your face and helps minimize fouling buildup. Point of adj gas blocks is to use their capability to curtail or reduce the recoil and vibration on the gun. Thus attempting to reduce the harsh wear effects on the gun making it last longer while making it more pleasurable to shoot.

I kno
The gas that is used to operate the bolt carrier via a gas block is minimal and necessary in function of a gas operating system. It really has nothing to do with the bullet going down the barrel. Take a look at the gas system operation YouTube animated videos to see its functionality. The Superlative gas block vents gas out rather than regulating it like a conventional adj gas block. Any gas you limit or regulate is "excess". You don't need it, that's why you tune it out. Their design is supposed to keep gas from coming back into your face and helps minimize fouling buildup. Point of adj gas blocks is to use their capability to curtail or reduce the recoil and vibration on the gun. Thus attempting to reduce the harsh wear effects on the gun making it last longer while making it more pleasurable to shoot.
I know what adjustable gas blocks do--- they limit the amount (volume) of gas to the bcg-- what I was saying is there should be no "extra" gas in a system to vent--- use just enough to cycle the bcg-- the rest stays in the barrel and pushes the bullet--- do bolt guns have "extra gas" too?- it's a fix to a problem that never existed.

I actually got to test a sa gas block on a 6.8spc when they were still in the testing stages--- needless to say, I don't run them on my gas guns

I kno

I know what adjustable gas blocks do--- they limit the amount (volume) of gas to the bcg-- what I was saying is there should be no "extra" gas in a system to vent--- use just enough to cycle the bcg-- the rest stays in the barrel and pushes the bullet--- do bolt guns have "extra gas" too?- it's a fix to a problem that never existed.

I actually got to test a sa gas block on a 6.8spc when they were still in the testing stages--- needless to say, I don't run them on my gas guns
I guess I should ask if you run any type of adj gas block. I was saying excess gas as used in the bolt cycling process. As in getting rid of any you dont need to operate the bcg by venting it. Gas quantity for the bullet is controlled by the gas port size and length of gas tube (to a degree). Having to large a gas port can indeed rob the bullet push due to waist. Allowing maximum gas availability for bullet push is a givin. AR tuning is the biggest challange when setting up a self built AR. There are times when you dont need to use an adj gas block. I need to because I shoot a variety of bullet weights and vary from suppressed to non suppressed. I have found that the large frame AR calibers can be very picky on setup. Causing a multitude of gas cycling problems. It's much less of a headache to use good springs and buffer weights and use the adj gas block to tune it. As always you need to get the spring and buffer weight combo as correct as possible to begin with. My experience here is a product of 40+ years of doing AR setups. Of course others have a different approach. It's all good in the end. Stay date and have fun.

On every AR whether it be in 10 or 15 no matter the cartridge port size does make a difference and matter! With AP barrels using standard rifle length gas in 6.5creed I use standard weight spring, buffer and non-adjustable gb. Others using standard length and +2 gas has been a challenge, but workable outcome. +2 isn't needed unless it's a short mag, then it's most likely needed due to way more gas volume at sustained pressure.

Why did you replace them? I opened the gas block 4.5 turns as the directions stated. It should have been fully open at that time. However, I couldn't get the bolt to lock back. I started to continue opening the valve until I got it open 9.5 turns. Only then did it lock back the bolt. Then opened it one more turn as I was instructed. Sound familiar???
Tried every setting and none worked. Put a basic one back on and it worked. I use SLR gas blocks now