Gas Block Problem?

What did you start with, and what did you switch to?

the standard ar10 carbine buffer and spring if i'm remembering correctly. once i narrowed it down to that, i swapped in my JP silent buffer, added spacers to have it sitting right up against the BCG and voila, it was locking back.

i ended up buying an Armaspec stealth recoil spring for 308, and i'm happy with it.

Wilson barrel is dimpled to align gas block, but that can be checked out to be certain.
I messaged Wilson to ask for specs on gas port diameter.
Standard carbine length spring from AP measures 11" long and has 25 coils.
Gas tube is standard rifle length.
It might be helpful to know that this same brand adjustable gas block worked fine on a similar gun with a Faxon 18" .308 barrel.
I messaged Wilson Combat and asked what the gas port diameter is on this barrel - here is their reply:

"Hello,
Unfortunately we do not publish that information and I do not even have access to it myself. Thanks!"

So if you buy anything from Wilson, don't expect any support!!

Last edited:
I messaged Wilson Combat and asked what the gas port diameter is on this barrel - here is their reply:

"Hello,
Unfortunately we do not publish that information and I do not even have access to it myself. Thanks!"

So if you buy anything from Wilson, don't expect ant support!!
Try drill bits for a close too size. Not the cutting side, just the smooth side. Most are .080 to .100", the larger for adjustable gas blocks? That information came from custom AR barrel makers (Mcgowen, X-Caliber? and a few others state sizes).

SO, where do we stand at the present?
Well, better than before. I have the gas block adjusted so that there are no FTF and bolt stays open on last shot (new mag).

Angle of ejected case is @ 3:00 o'clock, which I would like to see closer to 4:00. If I open the gas block more it moves toward 2:00 o'clock (over gassed). So I plan to try your suggestion of stiffer spring or heavier buffer and see if that helps bring it closer to 4:00 o'clock ejection.

Last edited:
Well, better that before. I have the gas block adjusted so that there are no FTF and bolt stays open on last shot (new mag).

Angle of ejected case is @ 3:00 o'clock, which I would like to see closer to 4:00. If I open the gas block more it moves toward 2:00 o'clock (over gassed). So I plan to try your suggestion of stiffer spring or heavier buffer and see if that helps bring it closer to 4:00 o'clock ejection.
That will increase dwell time which in turn can decrease op at same setting.

Well, better that before. I have the gas block adjusted so that there are no FTF and bolt stays open on last shot (new mag).

what happens if you close it another click or 2?

i'm about positive going with a heavier buffer/stiffer spring is gonna give the same symptoms of being over gassed and have it ejecting at the 2 o'clock versus less gas to get it more toward the 4 o'clock.

either way 3 o clock is great and i would roll with it

I discovered an interesting thing when I was calibrating my 308 AR. The gas setting that held the magazine back for the first 25rnds changed after the gun fouled up. Same ammo, same session, so I had to reset the gas setting to function at fouled condition for reliability.

I discovered an interesting thing when I was calibrating my 308 AR. The gas setting that held the magazine back for the first 25rnds changed after the gun fouled up. Same ammo, same session, so I had to reset the gas setting to function at fouled condition for reliability.
It happens