adjustabel Gas Block?

huntxtrm

Question: Just how effective is an adjustable gas block? What is the significant functions? Does it improve accuracy, cycling, lock time? Thinking about installing one on my Armalite AR10. I load my own ammo, so would it benefit me? What is involved in installation? Brand recommendations? Or, should I just go with the Armalite Adjustable gas block? gun)Thanks for any advice.

Question: Just how effective is an adjustable gas block? What is the significant functions? Does it improve accuracy, cycling, lock time? Thinking about installing one on my Armalite AR10. I load my own ammo, so would it benefit me? What is involved in installation? Brand recommendations? Or, should I just go with the Armalite Adjustable gas block? gun)Thanks for any advice.

I think if you are going to use a suppressor and sub sonic ammo and full power ammo it has a place

Problem with them is they clog up and are not very dependable. I am sure opinions vary.

I think if you are going to use a suppressor and sub sonic ammo and full power ammo it has a place

Problem with them is they clog up and are not very dependable. I am sure opinions vary.

Do all gas blocks clog? Should i convert to some sort of piston system? Keep in mind, this is going to be a hunting rifle, im going more for accuracy. No suppresion.

Do all gas blocks clog? Should i convert to some sort of piston system? Keep in mind, this is going to be a hunting rifle, im going more for accuracy. No suppresion.

just get the vltor A5 receiver extension, spring and buffer. Everything runs well with it. I have run one for years with all kinds of ammo. Never a problem. Do a little search and you will find I am telling it like it is.

or if it is a true precision gun just get an A2 fixed stock or Magpul's PRS. Fixed stocks are much more rigid for better accuracy.

just get the vltor A5 receiver extension, spring and buffer. Everything runs well with it. I have run one for years with all kinds of ammo. Never a problem. Do a little search and you will find I am telling it like it is.

or if it is a true precision gun just get an A2 fixed stock or Magpul's PRS. Fixed stocks are much more rigid for better accuracy.

Mine is an A2 Fixed stock. I think. I have a brake, and 2 stage precision trigger ordered for it. I am also looking into a 5 round mag, and bipod. I want to convert it to more of a hunting platform, and long range plinker. I've got a 300rum long gun, but this will be a lot cheaper to play around with.. Pic attached.
AR10.jpg

Mine is an A2 Fixed stock. I think. I have a brake, and 2 stage precision trigger ordered for it. I am also looking into a 5 round mag, and bipod. I want to convert it to more of a hunting platform, and long range plinker. I've got a 300rum long gun, but this will be a lot cheaper to play around with.. Pic attached.
AR10.jpg

AR's are fun guns. A real challenge to get to shoot accurately. Don't try to compare it with your bolt guns. Some days they are tack drivers and the next day a dog.

love to play around with them at the range or varmint hunting but for the real deal I would feel kind of silly hunting with an AR15. I will stick with my bolt guns for that.

AR's are fun guns. A real challenge to get to shoot accurately. Don't try to compare it with your bolt guns. Some days they are tack drivers and the next day a dog.

love to play around with them at the range or varmint hunting but for the real deal I would feel kind of silly hunting with an AR15. I will stick with my bolt guns for that.

My bolt gun is definitely my go to for long range. It shoots less that .75" @ 200yds. I am mainly using this AR for a range toy to keep certain skill sharp, and for short range hunting(less than 200yds). Hogs, deer, etc.... My 300 trashes animals like that at close range, I would fear.

Someone should come up with a bolt lock up device, so you could cycle an AR manually! Wouldn't that be cool! Gunsmiths? Chop Chop!

My bolt gun is definitely my go to for long range. It shoots less that .75" @ 200yds. I am mainly using this AR for a range toy to keep certain skill sharp, and for short range hunting(less than 200yds). Hogs, deer, etc.... My 300 trashes animals like that at close range, I would fear.

let me resay that. My bolt gun is my long range go to for hunting. It is costly, and bad for my barrel to just sling lead day to day at the range through it. I realize this AR is not going to come close. I am going to shoot the ar on the long range, to play around and practice basic mechanics. (Trigger squeeze, Scope adjustment, sight picture, ect..) Then, I can hone my skills with my big gun, from time to time, and before a hunt.

let me resay that. My bolt gun is my long range go to for hunting. It is costly, and bad for my barrel to just sling lead day to day at the range through it. I realize this AR is not going to come close. I am going to shoot the ar on the long range, to play around and practice basic mechanics. (Trigger squeeze, Scope adjustment, sight picture, ect..) Then, I can hone my skills with my big gun, from time to time, and before a hunt.

here is a pic of my range toy ar. I have since changed the stock to the magpul PRS. 6mm AR Turbo upper. Fun gun and surprisingly accurate. I feel it makes you a much better shooter to practice with a light recoiling gun. Especially if it has a good trigger and is accurate enough to show shooter improvement in the fundamentals.

Attachments

• 20151003_144000_resized_1.jpg
    20151003_144000_resized_1.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 122
here is a pic of my range toy ar. I have since changed the stock to the magpul PRS. 6mm AR Turbo upper. Fun gun and surprisingly accurate. I feel it makes you a much better shooter to practice with a light recoiling gun. Especially if it has a good trigger and is accurate enough to show shooter improvement in the fundamentals.

That's a sweet looking range toy!

Re: Adjustable gas block? AR-15

You've got me interested in buying the Vltor Emod stock, receiver extension, spring and buffer. I've got a cheapo Tapco USA stock that wobbles like an unbalanced top. Never did like all that play. My AR is a stock CMMG M4 with the exception of a Giessele trigger. But it shoots handloaded 60gr Hornady Vmax to less than 0.5 moa with a Vortex 1-4x variable scope/Vortex 1-piece base/rings, which was a pleasant surprise from this factory rifle/barrel.

Re: Adjustable gas block? AR-15

You've got me interested in buying the Vltor Emod stock, receiver extension, spring and buffer. I've got a cheapo Tapco USA stock that wobbles like an unbalanced top. Never did like all that play. My AR is a stock CMMG M4 with the exception of a Giessele trigger. But it shoots handloaded 60gr Hornady Vmax to less than 0.5 moa with a Vortex 1-4x variable scope/Vortex 1-piece base/rings, which was a pleasant surprise from this factory rifle/barrel.

That's the kind of accuracy I'm looking for.

I have the Sarac ordinance adjustable clamp on gas block it can be turn off completely if you would want to cycle by hand for some reason.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.