Adjustable gas blocks, Pro's and con's

J E Custom

I would like to hear some comments on how everyone feels about the advantages and disadvantages
of adjustable gas blocks and non adjustable gas blocks for AR 15's And AR 10's.

All opinions and comments are welcome.

J E CUSTOM

On all of the AR 15's that I own I have used adjustable gas blocks, with the adjustable gas block wide open they are all over gassed. Reducing the gas flow smoothes out the recoil impulse allowing me to stay on target better. I have also noticed that my brass stays in better condition, a lot less dents an dings.

So the consensus so far is that there is no downside.

I personally like the ability to tune the rifle to different loads instead of adjusting the load to tune the rifle. but that is just me.

I have not seen any downside to the adjustable except cost. and for the benefits I have seen so far, the cost difference doesn't matter.

Any more thoughts ?

J E CUSTOM

Only downsides are the cost and depending on how long you hand guard is adjusting can sometime be a pain. That being said they are well worth it. I love being able to fine tune my rifles.

I like to use adjustable pistons on my AR's, and have for a long time. However, I recently picked up an AR 10 and did not feel like dropping more cash into it for a piston conversion. It was overgassed, causing excessive recoil, brass damage, and IMO poorer accuracy. So I tried out an adjustable block. Worked great. The rifle shoots MUCH softer and nicer now. Highly recommend.

I like the adjustable piston if running a suppressor full time this keeps the gas from coming back in your face. If you don't shoot with a can much I would just go with the adjustable gas block to save money.

A little late to the conversation, but here I am. Haha. I like run the adjustable blocks on all of my custom builds. They help save on the brass alot, and make a noticable difference in recoil. They are necessary on anything that isn't 5.56 or 7.62 in my opinion. I have only seen 2 barrels that were undergassed, and those were far enough under to need the gas port drilled bigger. The adjustable block is also great for running handloads with slower burning powders. I prefer the Black Rain or Odin Works click style gas blocks. They are a lot easier to adjust. If you google them both can be had for about $80 online.

I found that an adjustable gas block for an AR10 platform is almost a necessity on every one I've owned.

I believe it also tames harmonics a little, is much easier on brass, less carbon in the upper and is much easier an all moving parts.
If you want to load different bullet weights you'll definitely need one.

My first AR10 didn't have one, it didn't take long for me to realize that it HAD to have one to cycle my reloads reliably.

I have to agree, only upside to AGB. I ran a 300 AAC without it but ultimately added it so I could keep the gas back in my face with a suppressor to a min.

2nd thoughts... I guess if you needed the gun to run in a life or death situation, the additional recoil from being overgassed would be something I think I would tolerate if their was even a chance the AGB could fail, I haven't seen one carbon up and I am not one of those guys who can let a gun go 2k before being cleaned but I guess it could happen

For my first AR-10 build I did not initially install an adjustable gas block and my brass got beat up pretty bad, the rifle would throw in into the next zip code. After I installed one the rifle was noticeably more enjoyable to shoot and I am no longer searching for brass.

The JP Enterprises clamp adjustable on gas-block on my AR-10 has seen over 1100 rounds and has yet to display any reliability issues.

I use them on all my builds. I've got anderson, JP and a couple machine shop made custom units. They all work like they're supposed to, as in they tune the gas. I shoot all my AR's suppressed and it makes a world of difference in recoil impulse and cutting down on upper gas. I've actually got an AR 556 upper where it'll reliably cycle with the suppressor but short stroke without, so I've got it tuned very specifically based on the can.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.