Is it possible to damage or affect the accuracy of a barrel by black nitriding it?

I've used the the air dry on stocks and some small parts works well. On barreled action I prefer bake on it lays down a little better and thinner.
Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at. I've played with the two. I haven't noticed a difference in gloss or durability. I thought I sprayed too thick of a layer on the air cure.

When you take steel to those kind of temps there always a possibility it moves, if you break the barrel in and its not perfectly clean when it goes in its garbage. I just struggle with it, I love everything about nitride BUT the possibility of scrapping a barrel.

O.P I can tell you that I've seen nitride open up the bore on a batch of SS barrels about 75% of them. I measured them with a deltronic pin before they were nitrided and when they came back about 75% were .0003 bigger. I never did see that on a CM barrel though.
It was with only one company so I cant say if it was just there process or not.
Just seems like a crap shoot to me.
JMoody interpret this how you want, I never personally shot these barrels.
I know a reputable BR shooter who told me his friend had one done that turned into a copper mine.

Really like the input on nitriding in regards to the OP. I'm a sucker for a rabbit-trail too! Picked up an amazing ( albeit heavy) 7 mag myself andhave seriously thought about a full nitriding and bbl fluting. Great OP.

I've been using nitride since 2011 and have never experienced a decrease in accuracy.

As others have said, you need to perform a deep cleaning of the bore after receiving the barrels back from treatment. The treatment facilities do a good job of Sonic cleaning everything afterwards, but it doesn't get everything.

I only use nitrided barrels on my rifles anymore, especially my big magnums (338, 300 PRC) to help maintain barrel life. Accuracy has been solid out to 1800 yards.

milo-2

It's not that I have any disdain for Cerakoting....it's just that I prefer the traditional simple black matte or blued finish. One thing I've read about the Cerakoting process is that it does add thickness and can cause stickiness and binding; another reason to avoid it in my mind. And doesn't the Cerakoting process involve high heats as well???

I just got off the phone with Bartlein and they told me that I shouldn't worry about damaging their barrels with the nitriding but that it does null their warranty. Well geeezz. That's not very comforting.

I'm just trying to figure out a way to get away from a shiny SS finish.
If you just want a black finish. Use shoe polish. You'll have to do it a couple times a year but it's a quick fix

I had the barreled action of my 300 RUM nitrided. Was willing to gamble a little on the process to see if it would extend barrel (throat erosion) life. Like others have stated, the barrel needs to be broken in and then thoroughly cleaned. After the process is completed, several more cleaning/scrubbing sessions are required. And finally another quick barrel break in (only about 5 rounds in my case). Accuracy was not hurt at all. The jury is still out on effects against internal wear. I have some 750 rounds down the tube so far. Even if I get 1600 rounds out of the barrel instead of the anticipated 1,200 rounds - I will never really know how much is attributed to nitriding vs. short shot string vs. just being a great barrel to begin with. Would I do it again? Still sitting on the fence. Will have to wait and see what my final round count is.

BTW - after having the barrel/action nitrided (it was a cool looking color) I went ahead and ceracoated the barreled action and stock! LOL

I'm not a fan a cerakote myself but if I had to wager a guess it was bubba'd. I'm considering an Ionbond DLC finish for my build. I had a 1911 done in that finish about 10 years ago and it still looks brand new. It doesn't offer much in the way of corrosion resistance but with a stainless substrate I'm not terribly concerned since the finish does hold CLP almost like a phosphate finish. For Nitriding: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/09/salt-bath-nitriding-for-barrels-whidden-is-impressed/

I am in the process of planning a new rifle build and would like to end up with something other than a shiny SS finish. I don't care for the Ceracoat....just want to end up with a nice black matte/satin finish if possible and the Black Nitriding process appears to be that for which I am looking. However, from what I understand about the process there is very high heat involved. Is there a possibility that my new barrel could be damaged or affected by the heating process? Also....can the barrel and action be nitrided as one unit or do they need to be taken apart?
Thanks for anyone's input....Brett

cerocoating is very thin and the heat process is around 400 deg u can get mate black and i think it can be done with out separation good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.