Would it be Possible?

Paparock

Previously Rocky W.Latham
Would it be possible and safe to rebarrel a Browning BPR that is presently chambered in .300 Win Mag to the new .375 Ruger or the .338 Winchester Mag. If so which would be the easier or more practical conversion? I really would like the .375 but would settle for the .338 if only it would work. Any ideas? Thanks to any that can help!!!

Got big bullet fever, huh? The .338 should be easily enough done. I'm not familiar enough with the rifle to make any comment either way for the Ruger caliber. It's going to cost you to rebarrel, why not just trade the rifle towards something you want? The BAR is available in .338.

.338/375 for an olde

I prefer manually operated rifles, larger calibers and I would have the rifle inside and out coated to help facilitate corrosion resistance, self lubrication, and reliability. I have enjoyed my custom .375 H&H bolt action and I would like to have something different now. I have always thought about doing something different with a Browning BPR if I found one. I have owned a BAR and it was nice but for I want to do with it I just would not trust an auto under those conditions. I want to put a 20" heavier weight match grade barrel on it without a muzzle break. My plans are for a faster handling pack with moderate reach out to 250 yards or so for use primarily toward the heavier weight bullets in the caliber. I'll find some good solid laminated wood for a new stock. You see I want this thing for use in bad weather costal conditions where it might get sprayed with saltwater occasionally and will definitely get rained on as a sort of all around carry rifle for the British Columbia area. So you see I want to customize it to fit me as I'm a little big at 6'5" 300lbs, so average rifle stocks are usually a little short for me and I'm wanting to set it up as a bear rifle with a lower power scope with fast release scope mounts (eyes aren't what they were in my younger days) "rustproofed" tuned action plus exterior, and trigger job, the works.

Paparock, sounds like you know exactly what you want. I don't know anything about the .375 Ruger cartridge, but you've got the std magnum bolt face and a std magnum length magazine. If the Ruger cartridge has the .535" case head and is not longer than the .300 Win Mag, it could be a go. It might have feeding problems if the case is larger in diameter than the Win Mag. Also, on a custom barrel you would want to see how much larger you could make the barrel shank (chamber area diameter) to maintain strength with a fatter case.

Anachronism is correct; The .338 Win Mag would be a direct rebarrel job, but if the .375 is in fact a fatter case, it may also be a higher pressure rated (SAAMI) cartridge, which in my opinion would be a major red flag, which added to the possibility of feeding problems on a dangerous game gun, would be a deal breaker.

Maybe someone who knows more will jump in. Sounds like a very interesting project.

Good luck, Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.