Does a crooked stock affect accuracy?

6hangingc

I have built my first long range shooter (6.5x47L) , and have noticed that the stock does not appear to be straight. It is a laminated varmiter style and when I look down the barrel channel from the front of the rifle, the back half of the stock (from the pistol grip back) is not in line with the barrel channel. I lined a straight edge down the center of the barrel channel and the center of the butt of the stock is aprox. 1/2" off to the left. I shoot right handed. I am assuming they should all be in line.

My question is : How much; if any; will this affect the accuracy of the rifle?

So far the groups are very good; nice little bug holes. But I was wondering if they could be even better with a staight stock?:rolleyes:

Thanks
Duane

What you are seeing is called "cast" , stocks are desgined to have that , your stock has a cast off desgine ,this helps a good bit in how recoil if absorbed by the shooter , a strait stock or a stock with "cast on" (bent the other way) will feel like it kicks harder.

no worries , their should be no negitive effect on accuracy.

JJ

Thanks for the information. Sounds great. I guess I have never looked at this on any of my other rifles.

Hope it wasn't TOO stupid of a question...

Thanks again
Duane

Last edited:
Their are no stupid questions , if nobody ever ask nobody will ever know. Who knows their might be 50 other people searching the web looking for the same answer but are to timid to ask.
Thats the great thing about the folks here , nobody ever gets fussed at about asking a question , every once in a while sombody might throw out the
"use the search function" awswer but that generaly for the questions that have been asked 500,000 times

Alot of folks don't know what Cast is , and alot of folks don't understand how big of a role it plays it recoil.

I had a friend that was left handed and bought an off the rack over and under shotgun , that think beat him half to death before he asked if I wanted to buy it , I shot it and the recoil wasen't bad at all so he just figured he was a wimp but after looking at the gun I told him he had a right handed shotgun , he diden't undersand and figured that an over & under was a universal weapon but after showing him what he had and explaining all was well , he sent the gun off for a new stock and now its all good.

JJ

You are right about the wealth of information that is available on this site.

Over the last year I have had a thousand questions while working on this project and have been able to find an answer to just about everyone by just doing a search and reading the replies. It's because of all the knowledgeable people here, like yourself, that are so willing to share that knowkedge and graciously answer all our newby questions, that make this site the success that it is. Thank you all very much. You are greatly appreciated.

Duane

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.