Is it just me or does every long range hunting bullet compromise too much in some category? Will we ever see one that truly does it all?

Reelamin,Ive shot elk with all the bullets you had listed,but a ballistic tip.And most at double the ranges you had.Plus probably at least 20 with 225 partion.I saw 3 bulls on opposite mountain,hiked down,wadded beaver pond back up,8 miles in.Shot 1/4 away,enter just in front of rear 1/4 and under skin opposite shoulder.Most shots out to 600 had exit.

Feenix - what am going to do with all of those Berger CH bullets in my cabinet and loaded up for my 308? šŸ˜©
Send them at game. My buddy and I are 5 for 5 with them in 6.5 cal. 3 cow elk, 2 mule deer. Most were down in 40 yards or less. 1 went about 100 yards.

I plan to do just that. If I could only get myself out of house and get those dang coyotes to stop their continuous running, i may actually hit one with the CH soon. My longest shot ever was a coyote at 1100 yds. in Texas. He was very still for several minutes. Lucky? Most definitely. Bullet performance? Excellent. It was with an old Browning 7RM BAR shooting 168 CH.

Why are Bergers not good for close range? I've seen a 6.5/140 VLD drop a Bull Elk with a frontal shot at 40 yards, and a 7mm/168 penetrate through a hind quarter and still get into the vitals on a going away shot at 100 yards. Both Elk died within eye sight of being shot, no need for pass throughs or blood trails.

I'll admit, when I started guiding full time over a decade ago, I was very skeptical of people shooting "target bullets" at game. Since then, every hunting rifle I own gets loaded with a "target bullet".

The quest for a bullet that works short, long, fast, slow will likely never end.

Best Ive come up with for my particular setup is the Berger 175EH clocking 3150fps at the muzzle.

Photo is a 120lb WT doe I shot last weekend @ a lasered 237 yards. Entrance was caliber sized (quartering slightly to me) and the exit speaks for itself. Despite the obvious trauma, somehow this deer was able to run about 150yds with a blood trail Ra Charles could follow. The will to live in a WT deer is lie nothing I've ever seen!
Berger.jpg