Is it just me or does every long range hunting bullet compromise too much in some category? Will we ever see one that truly does it all?

Since we are on the I wish: How about a bullet specifically designed for a specific cartridge's performance? For example, I want a bullet that is designed for 300WM so if you had a close shot at high velocity, the bullet would perform exactly how you want it to for that velocity. Bullets that are designed for calibers are a compromise for the worse case scenario of the most powerful cartridge in that caliber versus best performance for a cartridge. Cost? Who cares, this is a I wish!

I won't have the opportunity to use them on game until this spring, but I've loaded up some badlands monos, with the very high BC and being a mono with photo evidence on here and elsewhere of expansion down to the high 1600's, I'm hoping it's an everything to 800+ bullet.

Long range hunting bullet

Eld-x poor performance at shorter range ( see long range hunting bullet above)

Berger/ OTM don't trust them to give me an exit wound especially (up close ) long range hunting bullet

ABLR -didn't shoot in your rifle (great evaluation)

Mono/lrx/ hammer ,etc low bc

Great TARGET bullets poor terminal performance (up close)

Sounds like you want is long range but up close target bullets that perform like traditional hunting bullets

Maybe you should use traditional hunting bullets and just sneak up closer😃

just my two cents

I've tried most of them, and considered them all.

ELD-X, Poor performance on game at shorter range, no exit wound and nothing to track

Berger/OTM, many stories of the same. I just don't trust non bonded cup and core bullets on larger game. No doubt they kill plenty of game, and they shoot lights out, I just don't trust them to give me an exit wound and something to track. Especially up close.

ABLR- Didn't shoot for **** in my rifles.

Mono/LRX/Hammer, etc- This is my current choice, but let's face it, the BC's leave something to be desired. Out to 500 or so it doesn't matter too much, but you do have to be much more considerate of wind even at those ranges.

Bottom line it seems like there are either great hunting bullets that aren't so great in the BC category or great target bullets that kick *** in the BC category but terminally don't perform like traditional hunting bullets, especially up close. (That's as politically correct as I can make that statement. Lol!)

Will we ever see bullets that perform like mono's and shoot like bergers?

Just keep waiting for technology to give us a bullet designed like a mono with the density of lead!
Just like ladie's underwear despite all claims otherwise there is no bullet that is, " One size fits all." Bullets are designed to do many things, some of them well while leaving a lot to be desired in others. Manufacturers spend millions of dollars perfecting a bullet design to do one thing and do it well. Using it for something it was not designed for is bound to be a disappointment. The only caliber and round that I have found that works for hunting as well as match shooting is the good old 270 Winchester. The 130/140 gr bullets are deadly killers and match accurate at least out to 500 yards. Who needs match bullets when one has hunting bullets that hold 0.50 MOA or better?

If you could find them, I like the Federal Terminal Ascent
I just noticed they are now offering a 175 gr in 7 mag. So it appears they are changing to heavier bullets but will they hit the shelves? My last rifle bull was with their 155 but that was only 500 meters.

Just like ladie's underwear despite all claims otherwise there is no bullet that is, " One size fits all." Bullets are designed to do many things, some of them well while leaving a lot to be desired in others. Manufacturers spend millions of dollars perfecting a bullet design to do one thing and do it well. Using it for something it was not designed for is bound to be a disappointment. The only caliber and round that I have found that works for hunting as well as match shooting is the good old 270 Winchester. The 130/140 gr bullets are deadly killers and match accurate at least out to 500 yards. Who needs match bullets when one has hunting bullets that hold 0.50 MOA or better?
Love me a 270

After making kills with all types of bullets from 20 yards to just shy of 1k I've pretty much decided it really boils down to velocity and bullet weight.
For example I've witnessed fantastic failures with target type bullets in 6.5/270 calibers at closer range high impact velocities.
I've also seen really poor terminal performance with ablrs past 600 yards, same with monos.
They just don't expand enough for quick reliable kills.

What I have seen in the past few years is that Heavy Bergers that I've used on elk (215 and 220 LRHT) performed excellent from all ranges.
That big heavy berger still has enough mass to penetrate into the vitals even if it sheds more than 60% of its weight, whereas a 140 doesn't have enough left after a high velocity impact in heavy muscle or bone.

I was always intrigued by the Scirocco, but never tried them. I don't think I will based on feedback from WildRose. His level of experience carries a lot of weight for me.
I've also had very unsatisfactory experience with Scirocco in a 300 Rum. Again velocities over 3000 fps and at ranges less than 150 yds.

Last edited:
While I'm predominately a deer/antelope/ coyote hunter, with dozens of animals effectively taken from 150-1000+ yards, my quest for a bullet(s) that would perform over this range ended several years ago, becoming a lower priority for me. I'm primarily a 6.5 shooter, and the added benefit of new introductions(ie.156EOL) have enhanced the existing offerings/capabilities. While a bullets expansion characteristics has always varied with distance, adjustments in shot placement based on range(at the closer ranges, making placement easier) can result in effective kills with little meat damage with many of the modern high BC designs. It would be nice if the magic bullet that does everything at all ranges shows up some day, but I'm not holding my breath. Compared to 15+ years ago, LR bullet design has advanced substantially….Making LRH a reality….If you work at it. IMO.