Is it just me or does every long range hunting bullet compromise too much in some category? Will we ever see one that truly does it all?

BuckeyeRifleman

I've tried most of them, and considered them all.

ELD-X, Poor performance on game at shorter range, no exit wound and nothing to track

Berger/OTM, many stories of the same. I just don't trust non bonded cup and core bullets on larger game. No doubt they kill plenty of game, and they shoot lights out, I just don't trust them to give me an exit wound and something to track. Especially up close.

ABLR- Didn't shoot for **** in my rifles.

Mono/LRX/Hammer, etc- This is my current choice, but let's face it, the BC's leave something to be desired. Out to 500 or so it doesn't matter too much, but you do have to be much more considerate of wind even at those ranges.

Bottom line it seems like there are either great hunting bullets that aren't so great in the BC category or great target bullets that kick *** in the BC category but terminally don't perform like traditional hunting bullets, especially up close. (That's as politically correct as I can make that statement. Lol!)

Will we ever see bullets that perform like mono's and shoot like bergers?

Just keep waiting for technology to give us a bullet designed like a mono with the density of lead!

Ive rolled a 338 for 38 years.In the early days I had no problem dropping elk past 800 with partitions.Last 11 years been running 300 grn out of norma,I shoot threw most game with it out to a long ways.The larger calibers tend to have better BC's.Im trying a few monos,might be a fit in my 6.5 if I hunt it.

Not a compromise, design for a specific use.

Long Range means they are designed for best performance with low velocity impacts.

Don't use a hammer for a wrench, don't use a VLD type hunting bullet for short range.

The best bonded bullets tend to have lower BC's because their design is for impacts from 100-400yds basically.

Where you really get compromises is when a manufacturer is trying to please everyone, the design requirements for high bc Bullets simply mean bullets not following those requirements are not going to shoot as well at LR.

Mono's is a different ball of wax, the issue with them is getting them to open well at all and only a very small few of the manufacturers have really mastered that.

Peregrine bullets out of S. Africa has done that better than any of the other manufacturers so they tend to be my "GO TO" bullet noting that for me a shot much farther than 600-800yds is rare.

ELD-X, Poor performance on game at shorter range, no exit wound and nothing to track

Berger/OTM, many stories of the same. I just don't trust non bonded cup and core bullets on larger game. No doubt they kill plenty of game, and they shoot lights out, I just don't trust them to give me an exit wound and something to track. Especially up close.

Mono/LRX/Hammer, etc- This is my current choice, but let's face it, the BC's leave something to be desired. Out to 500 or so it doesn't matter too much, but you do have to be much more considerate of wind even at those ranges.

Bottom line it seems like there are either great hunting bullets that aren't so great in the BC category or great target bullets that kick *** in the BC category but terminally don't perform like traditional hunting bullets, especially up close. (That's as politically correct as I can make that statement. Lol!)

Just keep waiting for technology to give us a bullet designed like a mono with the density of lead!
Stay away from Bergers!

I tend to agree with you. I frequently say "There's no free lunch". Everything has a trade-off.
AND most here have different priorities and budgets.

That's about all I got to say about that....Forrest Gump

I don't know because I have only shot deer and elk out to 650yds, Antelope 800yds (actual laser ranged) and early in life estimate deer to under 600yds. Antelope die if you sneeze hard so they don't count to me. The bullet failures (what I determine is a failure) I have experienced are 180gr Nosler Ballistic tip (Elk 300yds) 160gr Speer Grand Slam (3 elk 150-250yds), 150gr Nosler Partition (Elk 100yds), 190gr Berger (3 elk 150-440yds). The most animals killed above 224 diameter bullets, has been with Remington Core Lokt and not one failure ever!!!! Yet I have been trying new bling bling bullets for the last 15-20 years....why? Hello if I know!!

I've always thought the Swift Scirocco II would be a good compromise for close range work and then longer range shots, not super long of course. But, I still haven't tried them out on anything.
Another bullet I have had serious issues with.

The jacket is too thin and the lead too soft. I've found some of them in game that were flattened out nearly the size of a half dollar.

I was almost ground into dust walking up on my first Wildebeest knowing he'd been hit properly who got up really, really mad.

500 yards and 3 shots later, induding a pistol to the head as a finisher we found the first round hit the crease between the neck and shoulder perfectly before turning 90 degrees straight up coming out of the top of the shoulder never having actually entered the chest cavity.

Had almost the same thing when a low shot hit the sternum of a small cull buck that flattened out and shot straight up into the spine. It was a killing shot of course but pure luck.

I would not advise anyone shooting Siroccos at over 3,000fps to shoot anything with them under 400yds.

Today, the best bonded bullets left on the market are the Nosler Accubonds since Hornady took my beloved Interbonds off the market. For about a decade supplies of the Interbond kept getting more and more erratic with them doing only occasional runs of them but after they launched their new LR bullets they seem to have ceased completely.

If they had remained on the market and regularly available I'd have never needed to look elsewhere. Admittedly though, I've taken fewer than 20 shots on game at over 1,000 yards with most taken between 300-750, probably ninety percent between 400-600.