Is it just me or does every long range hunting bullet compromise too much in some category? Will we ever see one that truly does it all?

I've always thought the Swift Scirocco II would be a good compromise for close range work and then longer range shots, not super long of course. But, I still haven't tried them out on anything.
I have Sciroccos in .26 Cal to try. I have a friend with very good success them.

I like to try them myself before making any personal opinions. Variety is the spice of life.

Last edited:
This year I shot an Elk at 578 yds with a Berger 245 EOl, double lung his hind legs buckled and rolled down the hill, no exit wound lungs were mush. 2 weeks later shot a whitetail buck at 89 yds, same bullet, gun etc. Double lung, dropped right there. Lungs were mush no exit.
Both animals there was no meat loss, at all and it would appear the 245 berger reacted exactly the same at both distances. I didn't measure the weight of the recovered bullets but my eye says they are pretty close to equal.
Weapon: 300 NMI 245G berger EOL 3023 mv.
Last year shot a doe whitetail with my 6.5 x 284 with a 156 berger EOL, double lung. Exact same results as the 245 EOL. The 6.5 velocity is 3007 at muzzle.
3 animals I have seen great results with lung shots, all 3 were DRT. That being said I bout some bulldozer bullets to try out just because I can't stop messing with my rifles

I have loaded S2s in 223 (75s) and 6mm(90s) both worked well on whitetails. The penetration and damage are both good. It is a good bullet, if they shoot for you. For accuracy, they do well in the 223 for me, the 6mm is good enough. I've also tried to get them to shoot in a 6.5 Creedmoor with 0 success, multiple powders, various seating depths didn't matter, nothing under an 1 1/4". That was only 1 6.5mm rifle. I have others, but haven't messed with it as the other rifles aren't usually for hunting. Over the years, I've used SSTs, Interlocks, BTs, Accubonds, S2, V-max, A-Max, ELD-M, ELD-X, JLK, and Bergers in various calibers and various game. The only ones I tend to shy away from at this point are Bergers, for me they have performed ok to poor in my usage (223 [groundhog] and 338 WM [deer]). However, they are my primary target bullet for PRS, etc. Others have great luck with them for hunting. Bullet selection comes down to caliber, velocity, game, and hunter intent. For instance, a smaller caliber (223) on a deer can benefit from a bonded bullet (S2), a larger caliber (338) on a deer I'm picking some that will expand as fast and as sure as possible but due to the weight has the ability to penetrate even with the greater fragmentation (SST or ELD). I would love to have an all around bullet, but I haven't found it.

I've had great success with Swift Scirrocco II bullets. I shoot the 75 grain version in my 22-250 Ackey at 3500+ FPS and it slams hogs here in Texas. I haven't shot a whitetail with that combo but wouldn't hesitate to do so. I've also used them successfully in my 257 Wby and my 260 Remington.

Longest shot has been 300'ish yards so I can't say what they will do way out there but ranges from 50-300 yards with velocity ranging from 2900 to 3600fps they've done well for me.

I was always intrigued by the Scirocco, but never tried them. I don't think I will based on feedback from WildRose. His level of experience carries a lot of weight for me.

I had great results with most of them but the failures quickly turned me off.

When I first started discussing them some warned me of having a couple of similar failures which unfortunately I dismissed.

They might perform much better in slower cartridges though than I shoot, something down around 30-06 velocities or less but I really don't have much of anything that shoots below 2800fps and most are between 3000-3400fps mv.

I would not however risk a shot with anything using them on a "once in a lifetime" type hunt or animal. When I've lost faith it's very hard to get it back.

Another bullet I have had serious issues with.

The jacket is too thin and the lead too soft. I've found some of them in game that were flattened out nearly the size of a half dollar.

I was almost ground into dust walking up on my first Wildebeest knowing he'd been hit properly who got up really, really mad.

500 yards and 3 shots later, induding a pistol to the head as a finisher we found the first round hit the crease between the neck and shoulder perfectly before turning 90 degrees straight up coming out of the top of the shoulder never having actually entered the chest cavity.

Had almost the same thing when a low shot hit the sternum of a small cull buck that flattened out and shot straight up into the spine. It was a killing shot of course but pure luck.

I would not advise anyone shooting Siroccos at over 3,000fps to shoot anything with them under 400yds.

Today, the best bonded bullets left on the market are the Nosler Accubonds since Hornady took my beloved Interbonds off the market. For about a decade supplies of the Interbond kept getting more and more erratic with them doing only occasional runs of them but after they launched their new LR bullets they seem to have ceased completely.

If they had remained on the market and regularly available I'd have never needed to look elsewhere. Admittedly though, I've taken fewer than 20 shots on game at over 1,000 yards with most taken between 300-750, probably ninety percent between 400-600.
100 % Correct.

There have been some perfect bullets created, but the bar continues to move. Not all that long ago there were no range finders in every hand and the ballistic app was not a thing, or any app for that matter. Published hunting articles called 400 yards iffy and anything longer just irresponsible. Good terminal performance required controlled expansion and an exit, but not "too big" of an exit. This is why the Nosler Partition was the gold standard for so long. Other than the cost they were perfect to 400 yards. Before long with the way technology has propelled us, there will be more perfect bullets, but they won't be perfect for long because we will figure out how to stretch them beyond their capability. And of course, perfect bullet performance is subjective. Some like to track the 60 yard death run and some don't mind gathering up the pieces as long as they drop on the spot. We live in a glorious age of great bullets right now, if you can find them.