Is a super magnum really needed????

I cleaned my rifle today and noticed there is a pretty big patch of rust on my scope ring. Is there anything that can take this rust off before it gets worse?
and did remington ever put monte carlo stocks on there factory rifle?

Monte Carlo stocks - yes, they did.

Rust - Birchwood Casey Blue and Rust Remover. Follow with a cold blue. It will not be great but it will be better.

i put wd-40 on it and scratched at it and it got some of it off, im gonna keep wd-40 on it for awhile. and about barrel life,as i dont have any idea as to how many shots have been through it, i myself have put approx. 50 shots through it.

For the rust take some WD-40 and some 0000 steel wool. gentally run the rust area reapplying WD-40 often. Go slow. Most rust is just surface rust and in many cases you can polish off most of the rust and retain most of the original blueing as well but remember this area will be suseptible to rust in the future as well so keep it well oiled.

Good news, good scope rings are pretty cheap now adays!!

As to your question about if super magnums are needed. Depends on what you want to do at these ranges.

500-600 yards is not that far out there with a modern center fire rifle round in an accurate rifle with todays modern big game bullets designed to perform at a wide range of velocities.

If your punching paper or slapping steel, no need for anything much over 6.5mm in caliber unless you want it or want to extend your range and shoot heavy higher BC bullets to help negate windage estimate errors.

For big game hunting, again, most modern centerfire rounds in a quality rifle are more then enough for this range of hunting.

When the range pushes past 800 yards and the game increases to over 400 lbs, then the larger magnums really shine on target. Maybe not as much as many would think ballistically but they certainly land on target with much more authority.

Kirby Allen(50)

If the only thing holding you back from a big 300 is the recoil you really need to try one with a modern muzzel brake. My 300Wby Accumark with factory Accubrake is kind of a lightweight rifle for target shooting as it weighes under 11 pounds with a 8.5-25x50 on it. I shoot 200 grain Accubonds at 3100fps into very small groups and it just doesn't seem kick. It kicks about the same as my heavy barreled varminter in 22-250 that doesn't have a brake. I let my 69 year old friend shoot it. He was talking 6mm or 6.5x284 due to recoil and after 5 shots through my 300 he went right out and bought a 300RUM in one of the new Sendero's. He took it over to Darrel Hollands for a brake, crown job and a good recoil pad. I polished up the brake to match the barrel, installed a Jewel trigger and skim bedded the action for him. His shoots the 200 grain Accubond at 3150 to 3200. He is still breaking in the barrel so he hasn't really done much load development. It looks to be shooting under 1/2" as of last trip out. It also doesn't hardly kick. Since getting the Sendero running his smaller guns don't get out much. Squirrels to elk in one gun. I have been giving mine heck for over a year now. I have shoot about 300 rounds through it. The previous owner said he shot 300 rounds through it and the throat still looks like new. I have been trying to wear it out so I can have Kirby install a heavier longer barrel. It will stay a 300Wby. It just goes so much right for me. If you're not into Weatherby's I highly recommend the Sendero in 300RUM.

"Beware of the gun that only shoots one gun."

"Hoppes #9" where can i find that at? And yes recoil is one of the main reasons why i am leary of a magnum. because i would like to avoid acquiring a flinch.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts