Is 26" enough barrel for the 338 UltraMag?

sambo3006

Is 26\" enough barrel for the 338 UltraMag?

I have a chance to buy a Remington 700 BDL in 338 Ultramag. My concern is whether I can gain enough performance in the 26" tube to justify buying it and selling my 26" barreled 338 Win mag. Seems like alot more bang for not alot more performance. What is a good barrel length for this cartridge?

Re: Is 26\" enough barrel for the 338 UltraMag?

Well,,,,Hmmmmmm

26" bbl on both. Unless its a good deal $ wise and and is more way more accurate than your Win. I'd nix the deal.

However..... My 338 Win (REM BDL) has only a 24 inch bbl and it shoots sub MOA. I'd make the deal in a new york minute, if I wanted a 338 RUM. The two inches would make a difference, in my case.

26" may not be too far off for a decent length of a 338 RUM. But where your 338 Win has a 26" bbl also, I think the biggest difference you would notice would be the size of the shovel to scoop the powder into it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just a side note: If you wish to go to the next level with minimal expenditure and maximum excitement get yourself some Wildcat 338 252gr RBBTs. They reduced my group size from about 1 MOA w/SMKs to more towards 0.5 MOA. If you can hit it with that WC 252 it's gonner, whatever it is. Plus, I'm bettin you can get dang close to 2900 FPS out of that 26" bbl w/some RL-22. Compare those numbers with the published 338 RUM numbers and save some $. Just a tho't.

Roy,
Just a quick question, i have heared the term a "New York Minute" used many times in US shows on the TV here in England.
What does mean? thanks.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

[ QUOTE ]
Roy,
Just a quick question, i have heared the term a "New York Minute" used many times in US shows on the TV here in England.
What does mean? thanks.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

[/ QUOTE ]

Ian, New York is a very hectic, busy city. They say the city never sleeps. A minute is a blink of the eye there. Hence, "in a new york minute", means really fast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I own the 338 RUM and get with the 250gr bullet using RL25 powder 2970 fps with max load. With the 225gr bullet I get 3100 fps max load with same powder. Well I'm happy with it.
Could probably go faster using a different powder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
A 30" barrrel would be my choice...

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I was thinking. I think I'll just stick with my 338 Win. It's a LH Winchester 70 Classic and it's a beauty. I would hate to part with it. It's had a trigger job, but I need to bed and float it. Recoil is manageable without a muzzlebrake and I probably won't shoot much past 400 yds anyway. Good shooting guys!

[ QUOTE ]
I own the 338 RUM and get with the 250gr bullet using RL25 powder 2970 fps with max load. With the 225gr bullet I get 3100 fps max load with same powder. Well I'm happy with it.
Could probably go faster using a different powder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

jro45,

I'd also be more than happy with those kinds of numbers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Your's is the FIRST real life data I've seen on the 338RUM. Am assuming you have the 26" bbl?

Compared to the 338 Win w/24" bbl, 2900 FPS w/the 225gr is my max and 2850 fps w/any 250gr bullet. All 250gr bullets shoot best at a velocity of 2800 FPS.

Hmm, wonder what I can do next.

Good info

I have no need for the larger bullets, but in my Ruger .338WM I am shooting 200 gr NBT at 3040 fps, 200 gr WW Factory NBT at 2981 fps and WW factory 250 gr PartGold at 2768 fps out of my 24" barrel. The factory NBTs go into one hole at 100 yds, and the 250 gr PG about 3/4" ctc. All the handloads I have shot will put 5 shots into 1 1/4" at 100 yards. The first three are usually 3/4", but as the barrel heats, the bullets walk.

Roy,
A little more "real world" numbers for a 338rum. HS Precision, 26" bbl. Barnes TSX 210gr 92gr RL22 = 3250fps.
1/4" to 1/2" groups, depending on how good a day I'm having at the trigger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Have not tried 225s of 250s yet.

G.G and I are getting 3210 fps with RL 22 and 225 Accubonds out of A stock Remy with a Tubbs (final finish) break in. 1/2 MOA with .550 BC crushes the gong at 1145 yards. I believe a 26" barrel is enough but maybe not optimal.

YES, Roy in Idaho, My barrel is 26" long. Love my RUM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well, I'm a liar. I got too good a deal to pass up the 338 RUM LH BDL. $480 and the seller said that it may have been fired but he can't tell. New condition. I am NOT going to sell my Model 70 338 WM, though. It might get rebarreled to a different caliber, however. 270 Weatherby is intriguing. First things first. Got to get a muzzle brake for the big boomer.

Re: Is 26" enough barrel for the 338 UltraMag?

More real info. I just had a broughton barrel installed on my 338 rum earlier this year. With 98 gr of rl 25, 3300 fps and ,5 moa with the 225 accubond. Barrel is a hare longer than 27 inches plus the brake.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts