338 lapua or 338 ultramag?

wyoming4x4

never shot this round yet but from what i've read not a big difference. what are the pro's and con's of either round in same situation. same barrel and length, just curious. Seen a remington 700 338 lapua today and just wondering. gun)

The difference is gobs of money. The ultra bad*ss Barrett 98 is around $5,000 and a Remington Sendero is about $750. Brass for the Lapua is $4 each for the 338 RUM was 80 cents. The Sendero has a 26" barrel which is it's only knock. I think you need at least 28" to utilize some of the slower powders like the awesome Retumbo. I got a pet load here from JD338 and it shoots one hole with a 250 gr. Accubond at 3160 fps. He was shooting 1/4 MOA with his Sendero and maybe only lost 25-30 fps with the 26" barrel. I don't want to invest over $4,000 extra for COOL factor. If you're a lottery winner I guess it doesn't matter. Whatever you put on your plate with them will not know the difference.

Balistically they are close and will do the same thing. But the Lapua will usually have more velocity for a couple reasons. The Lapua has better brass available, no question there. People that have not owned both will complain that the Lapua brass is more expensive at about $2.65 a piece. But in all reality the Lapua is cheaper to shoot in the long run as the Lapua brass will out last the Rem brass by 3 times or more. This is especially evident if you load them both to max where you could see the Lapua brass last even 5 times longer. They are both long range elk hammers with 300 gr bullets and for most general purposes both will do the same thing. I find a good deal of accuracy in all my rifle with well prepped quality brass. I hate to see it wear out quickly after all the prep and truing, so I prefer the Lapua brass. Plus if you start prepping each you will soon realize why the Lapua has a higher initial cost. It definitely shows in the quality and consistency. They both will send the same bullet, use the same primer, and like the same powders. The Lapua will in most cases use about 3 gr more and that is part of where the extra velocity comes from. But the cost of shooting them is close to equal with a slight advantage going to the Lapua for longer brass life. I have owned them both, loaded for them both a lot, shot them both a lot and like them both. But if I am doing a custom build I will look for quality brass availability before I choose the cartridge.

Jeff

thanks for the input. this is what i'm reading and really haven't seen a big difference between the two. The cool factor is nice but performance in the end is the main thing. their is a cool factor with the lapua and something kinda new by todays standards these days. its a solid round for sure but several rounds out their that can compete and surpass from what I'm reading. Doing my home work is whats going on. I'm currently playing with a 7mm ultramag and thinking of upgrading barrel to a 300rum or 338 rum? might just keep the 7mm rum and call it good. really wanting to upgrade to a better quality barrel and longer. gathering information and what do i really want to do with a long range gun!gun)

I'm currently playing with a 7mm ultramag and thinking of upgrading barrel to a 300rum or 338 rum? might just keep the 7mm rum and call it good. really wanting to upgrade to a better quality barrel and longer. gathering information and what do i really want to do with a long range gun!

Let me toss another option out there. When that 7 RUM throats wears out on you. Send that rifle to Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge. Ask Shawn to rebarrel it to his new 338 Edge Plus P. Shawn has recently worked with a company to produce awesome brass for the 338 Edge that is equal in quality to the Lapua brass, maybe even better. The 338 Edge and 338 Lapua are pretty much dead nutz for performance. But when you add Shawns custom +P chamber the EDGE moves ahead in the game with velocity. So you would end up with a upper performing 338 that has all the cool factor, and it backs it up with performance in the field.

Jeff

Let me toss another option out there. When that 7 RUM throats wears out on you. Send that rifle to Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge. Ask Shawn to rebarrel it to his new 338 Edge Plus P. Shawn has recently worked with a company to produce awesome brass for the 338 Edge that is equal in quality to the Lapua brass, maybe even better. The 338 Edge and 338 Lapua are pretty much dead nutz for performance. But when you add Shawns custom +P chamber the EDGE moves ahead in the game with velocity. So you would end up with a upper performing 338 that has all the cool factor, and it backs it up with performance in the field.

Jeff

funny you mention shawn. i just recently bought a long range hunting video and seen what he is using. good video some routine stuff but getting up to speed with the computor age and new tech stuff that is being used for long range. he keeps it simple and accurate. now all i have to do is apply. will give him a call on this and cost$ down the road. thanks for checkin in.

funny you mention shawn. i just recently bought a long range hunting video and seen what he is using. good video some routine stuff but getting up to speed with the computor age and new tech stuff that is being used for long range. he keeps it simple and accurate. now all i have to do is apply. will give him a call on this and cost$ down the road. thanks for checkin in.

just got a e mail back from shawn, defensive edge on a saturday. not able to upgrade my rifle. he said he's only doing his complete rifle builds. very busy guy these days and lots of wait time also.

Other folks make RUM brass beside Remington. I missed something, you would buy a $5,000 rifle instead of a $750 rifle that you said does the same thing because the brass is better? If you shoot the Remington Brass only once and throw it over your left shoulder for good luck, you will never make up the intial cost difference in the Lapua to the RUM rifle purchase. And your thought of upgrading you 7MM RUM to a 338 RUM is brilliant, rebarrel and go. Forget the super exotic stuff that only one guy does and controls your life, get a quality 338 RUM barrel installed and go hunting. I have decided that at my age my usefull hunting life left is too short to kiss a premadona gunsmith's *** and waste a whole hunting season waiting. Sorry for the rant. ken

Has anyone used the Nosler .338 RUM brass yet? I just received my Sendero in .338 RUM this week. Seems like whenever the LM vs. RUM discussion comes up it comes down to the better Lapua vs. Remington brass. I have yet to hear reports on the Nosler brass.

Thanks,
Speedy.

Other folks make RUM brass beside Remington. I missed something, you would buy a $5,000 rifle instead of a $750 rifle that you said does the same thing because the brass is better? If you shoot the Remington Brass only once and throw it over your left shoulder for good luck, you will never make up the intial cost difference in the Lapua to the RUM rifle purchase. And your thought of upgrading you 7MM RUM to a 338 RUM is brilliant, rebarrel and go. Forget the super exotic stuff that only one guy does and controls your life, get a quality 338 RUM barrel installed and go hunting. I have decided that at my age my usefull hunting life left is too short to kiss a premadona gunsmith's *** and waste a whole hunting season waiting. Sorry for the rant. ken

Your rant would be fine if it held any water but it doesn't. You can get a 338 Lapua magnum in a remington or a savage for much less than $5000. Also your brass comparison is way off.

338 Lapua brass (Lapua): Much stronger and much better brass. When you get it from the store, it is ready to load. Primer pockets are good to go, the flash hole is centered, the case mouth is not dented. I went through all of my 338 Lapua brass when I got it and I didn't have to cull one out. The brass is very consistent in weight and all of these things mentioned above add up for better accuracy in your rifle. The 338 Lapua Brass sells on midway for $257 for 100 pcs. People on here have been getting 10+ reloads on this brass. If you take 10 reloads and divide that by $257 the brass has now effectively cost you $25.70.

338 RUM brass (Nosler): It is OK brass(way better than remington). Not near as strong as Lapua brass. They say it is ready to load once you buy it but I have read that some people were not impressed with that statement. But none the less we will keep to it being ready to load. It is for a fact not as consistent in weight variations as Lapua brass. A friend of mine has a 338 RUM and tried the nosler brass and got 6 firings out of it before they were no good. He annealed after every 2 firings. The nosler brass for the RUM costs around $235 for 100 pcs. 6 reloads divided into $235 will cut the cost down to $39.

338 RUM brass (remington): Total crap brass if you ask me. My buddy had been using this brass until he tried the nosler. He got 4 reloads out of it even annealing after every 2 firings. The flash holes were not centered. He would have to cull some of the brass due to it being dented in the shoulder. The necks were dented in on some. All the steps had to be taken (chamfer, debur, cut out primer pockets, ream flash holes, open necks back up etc) to get this brass ready to load. This brass is sold at $106.99 per 100 pcs. Divide at most 4 reloads into $107 and you get $26.75 after all is said and done.

So in the end with the 338 Lapua and the better brass, you are actually saving a $1 or more than going with the 338 RUM and the brass that they offer. And some people are actually getting more than 10 reloads out of the Lapua brass in 338 Lapua!

Now I am not bashing the 338 RUM at all. It is in the end the just about the ballistic twin of the 338 Lapua. The real difference is the brass and to me, looking at the money savings in the end, the 338 Lapua is the real winner.

LMAO,,,:D I guess we are just suppose to forget the Facts here. You know the ones where Remington, Savage, Weatherby and others chamber the 338 Lapua too for well under $5K. And look under all the rocks for that USED $750 Sendero that is discontinued and in most cases will bring more than that used.

Maybe the fact also that until Defensive Edge & BT came out with the recently release brass for the Edge nothing came close to Lapua brass for life expectancy nor could it be loaded to near the same pressure and survive 2 firings and still hold a primer.

I can see at least a few of us were open minded enough to actually test both before we commented on the difference.

Jeff

thanks guys for inputing information. Looking to upgrade barrel from a 7mm rum to a better barrel life like 300 rum or 338 rum. The 338 rum is the direction i'm thinking. learning the brass end of the deal with these high end weapons is new to me. wanting to reach out and touch something. seems both weapons are pretty equal on capabilities but the brass might be the weak link with the Rum? I won't be shooting this rifle a lot like some shooter so wear and tear on barrel won't be a issue. just want a quality rifle with the abilility to reach out. Gonna shoot the 7mm rum until the throat is worn out, then upgrade to better barrel. Not really gonna hunt with this rifle but i want one. just mainly for bustin hogs at long range at my dads place. some 500yrd and some 1000+ depending on which side of the creek btm they come out on. Gonna be fun bustin hogs!

Gonna shoot the 7mm rum until the throat is worn out, then upgrade to better barrel. Not really gonna hunt with this rifle but i want one. just mainly for bustin hogs at long range at my dads place. some 500yrd and some 1000+ depending on which side of the creek btm they come out on. Gonna be fun bustin hogs!

Then have a 1 in 10 twist Hart barrel screwed on and chamber it in 338 RUM. I would go 28" plus a good side discharge brake. Load up some 300 Bergers over 88 or 89 gr of H-1000 and a CCI 250 primer. You should get 3 to 5 firings from this load in RUM brass. I doubt the hogs will like it.

Jeff

Then have a 1 in 10 twist Hart barrel screwed on and chamber it in 338 RUM. I would go 28" plus a good side discharge brake. Load up some 300 Bergers over 88 or 89 gr of H-1000 and a CCI 250 primer. You should get 3 to 5 firings from this load in RUM brass. I doubt the hogs will like it.

Jeff

thanks for input on load. not wanting to reinvent the wheel just want a solid gun to a job and shoot well. lapua good gun but i currrently have RUM and kinda wanting to stay a RUM just a little bigger. getting ready for a winter storm coming into north dakota and got to go prepare!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.