26 inch enough?

375fan

Am planning a 338 RUM build to use for long range shooting and to hunt with. Because it will get packed on my back in the mountains at times, don't want to make it too heavy. Was thinking 26 in maybe 27 with the contour winding up at .650-.700 at the muzzle. Between action, barrel, synthetic stock, and a 3.5-15x50 NF on top plus bases and rings should put me around 12 pounds? At that weight won't need muzzle brake ( I'm use to shooting a 375h+h and up) What do you guys think?
Thanks, Jeff

My 338 RUM has a 26" barrel. Best accuracy load with the 300 smk is 2730 fps. If you look all through here that is sufficient velocity. That is where many 338 lapua and Edge shooters are wth 30" barrels and they are making excellent long range kills. I shoot the 225 AB at 3260 fps which will easily take elk size game at 1000 yards.

My 338 RUM has a 26" barrel. Best accuracy load with the 300 smk is 2730 fps. If you look all through here that is sufficient velocity. That is where many 338 lapua and Edge shooters are wth 30" barrels and they are making excellent long range kills. I shoot the 225 AB at 3260 fps which will easily take elk size game at 1000 yards.

What is your barrel diameter at the muzzle, barrel contour? Do you have to max out powder to get the velocity your getting? I was thinking I'd like to get around 3200 with 225gr bullet, think that would be fine, which you are doing.
Thanks for the input.

Am planning a 338 RUM build to use for long range shooting and to hunt with. Because it will get packed on my back in the mountains at times, don't want to make it too heavy. Was thinking 26 in maybe 27 with the contour winding up at .650-.700 at the muzzle. Between action, barrel, synthetic stock, and a 3.5-15x50 NF on top plus bases and rings should put me around 12 pounds? At that weight won't need muzzle brake ( I'm use to shooting a 375h+h and up) What do you guys think?
Thanks, Jeff

Jeff...It sounds like what you are talking about is around a 4 contour. If this is the case, you should only be at about 10 lbs. Maybe a little more with the NF scope. I have a Remmy 700 with a 26" 4 contour and it weighs just under 10 lbs. with a 6.5-20 conquest on it.........Rich

26 is long enough for 1500 yard shots with a 338 I am getting 2898 with a 338 Nawakwa (338 lapua imp) with 300g SMK bullets. My barrel is .820 at the muzzle. I would recommended a brake only become you can see your hits or misses very important to me. Hear is a video of me shooting a 338 Nawakwa with 300g SMK

YouTube - 338 Nawakwa 300g SMK 2900 fps

Mine is a standard Rem 700 stainless. The 225 AB load is 99 grains of RE-25 with a fed 215 primer. The Sierra manual lists three loads at 2750 fps with the 300 SMK out of a standard remington 700 in 338 RUM with a 26" barrel.

Hi
If you go to the Australian area of this site you will see my buddy Top Shot has just built and is tinkering with a new 338 rum he put together.
He is using a light Pac Nor barrel and its well and truly under 10lbs ...
His velocity tests with 250 Hornadies are their for your viewing. D/E small brake is fitted.

It shoots 1/2 Moa in initial testing but I think the gunsmith that chambered it did a pretty good job as well!

My Edge weighs 5.6 kg with a 5.5 to 22 x50 Noghtforce and seekins rail agagin near enough or under your 12 lb limit..It shoots well under 1 inch at 300 yards in skilled hands.

Just did a write up on it last night, see...............

The Ultimate Sambar Rifle – .338RUM | Hunting Australia | The Hunt and Shoot Network - for hunting news, videos and equipment.

Great calibre for a 26" barrel. I can get over 3000 ps with a 250 grain bullet and H1000 powder. Have not tried the 300 SMK yet but should get over 2700 fps easy.

Mine is about 9lb and has a #4 Pac-Nor barrel. Could save even more weight with a better stock. I am getting a light weight H-S stock early next year.

Topshot, like the rifle and article.
Spoke with gunsmith yesterday, going to be a 26in #4 contour barrel. He suggest the same as Ewallace , in his post, that a muzzle brake be put on. It will screw off if need be and have no holes on the bottom so as not to kick up dust or debris. Now just have to wait awhile for it to be built. Need to start gathering components.
Thanks guys for your input.
Jeff

Last edited:
I think you should forget about a 338 Rum and build either a 7mm stw or buy a 300 rum, preferably a 7mm stw. or a 338 edge. the 338 sucks in every way. reloading being top on that list. the 300 rum and edge will be around and are more than u need. + you can always rebarrel to 338 rum later, but skip right over it and focus on 338 lapua rather than rum. reloading cost of all 4 mentioned here are lowest with 338 lapua brass, some people are getting 23 reloads a case. ++ the military are using it and that alone says something. +++ experience dictates that with a military acceptance, the lapua will get cheaper to shoot as times go on! look at the 223, 308, 30-06!! standardized military rounds lower costs.

my 2...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.