Interesting Fact about Black Bears

The minute I saw this thread it got my attention. Last September I had an approx 450 pound Bruin open the back hatch on my cap and open the tailgate to climb into the back of my truck while it was parked in front of my cabin. We have a lot of bear activity in our area (North Eastern Washington State) and I have seen some amazing things from bears and coyotes both but that really took the prize. There was nothing in the bed of the truck and the bear didn't tear anything up, I had gone grocery shopping that afternoon so he most likely was smelling to food that had been in there. We normally harvest a bear every third year or so. Baiting is illegal and the bears certainly prove to be much smarter than the average hunter in Washington State.
Good Hunting !

I had this old book on a grizzly hunter/trapper.Shot quite a few near Spokane. Had one he tried to get many times,the set up had a 1/4 of old horse for bait,logs for a funnel affect and a shotgun on trip wire.The bear smelt the areas he'd been got the bait,avoided multiple traps..
the interesting thing about stories like that (there's lots of them) is that it indicates that even though in nature there's very little that would choose to mess with a full grown bear, they're cautious anyways. The know they're not invincible. Again, smarter than a lot of people who don't seem to know that….

I grew up in the "black bear Capitol of Michigan". We always had bears around and some of the shenanigans they were capable of would amaze most people.
Heres my visitor . His mumma left him here back around may of this year , he comes by the house a couple times each week . Actually looking good seeing as there are extreme shortage of berries in the bush this year . Worse case we had here was seven bears in my back yard at one time !!!

Attachments

• Bear tree.jpg
    Bear tree.jpg
    833.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Sunday breakfast guest.jpg
    Sunday breakfast guest.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 114
hi,I had agreat bear hunt in Newfoundland,Canada in 2012.the outfitter did both moose or black bear.I went in early June @ the "rut" for bear.bear travel allot during this time.I was on stand @dawn till 9am then back@ 3pm. the dawn time was better than evening maybe cause of a full moon!! but the sightings were good enough to keep interest all day! shot a big boar(male) with my TC 50cal.with 250gr.sebot. bear dropped on the impact!! this was before 8am& dressed @375lb.near 7ft it lays in my TV room. dakota

I have a kitchen and office in the barn. Was I. The office last month with the kitchen door open so the dog could go out. Bear walked in and grabbed the trash can. He was ****ed when I caught him and it was a trash can stand off for several minutes before he gave up. No food in the can. He came back next day and grabbed the one out of the machine shed.