What bullet for black bears?

What bullet for black bear, 6.5prc, 500 yards and in

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Frank, or the Swift A-frame, same concept.

Or, maybe the original design from which these were somewhat copied……the German H Mantle! Made years before the partition! I guess that " imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" was alive and well at the time! 😉 memtb

Or, maybe the original design from which these were somewhat copied……the German H Mantle! Made years before the partition! I guess that " imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" was alive and well at the time! 😉 memtb

I don't know that John Nosler was aware of the existence of the rws mantel bullet. And it's not a true partition, a partial partition. I don't think the partition is an imitation so much as "convergent evolution" in bullet design. Just because more than one person has a similar idea come to mind doesn't mean one's copying the other.

Nonetheless I love that you pointed this out, always good to see credit for an idea given where it is due. A lot of folks probably do think the Nosler partition was the first true controlled expansion bullet. It wasn't.

While we're casting a light on lesser known predecessors to more popular bullets…a lot of folks probably think Nosler's "ballistic tip" was the first high bc (for its time) plastic/polymer tipped hunting bullet. It wasn't. The earliest plastic tipped hunting bullet I'm aware of is the C.I.L. Sabretip, made in Canada 🇨🇦 at least a full decade before Nosler released their b-tip to much greater fanfare in the much larger American 🇺🇸 market. Of course there were other tipped bullets like the Remington bronze point long before that, but the Cil was the first plastic tipped one I know of.

Last edited:
I cannot find info about who exactly is responsible for the CIL/Dominion sabretip plastic tipped bullet but I have indeed found confirmation that it was THE first polymer tipped bullet, ever (Craig boddington interestingly enough remembers them being around a long time before anything else like them). The first Nosler b tip came out in 1984. There are boxes of vintage "sabretip" ammo FROM THE 1960's!!!! that have shown up on auctions here and there. Very interesting to me. Also apparently Nosler is much better at marketing, so good for them as well haha.

Recent Posts