Interesting Fact about Black Bears

Black bears are smart but I never met one I could not beat in a game of cribbage.
You know there's a few people i know who are normally perfectly decent but as soon as you start playing a game their competitive side comes out and once they know they're losing they're inclined to either slap the table real hard and scramble the game or just swipe it off the table all together….I can see a bear doing the same thing in your cribbage match!

You know there's a few people i know who are normally perfectly decent but as soon as you start playing a game their competitive side comes out and once they know they're losing they're inclined to either slap the table real hard and scramble the game or just swipe it off the table all together….I can see a bear doing the same thing in your cribbage match!
😆

I have relatives that live at Caroga lake in the Adirondacks. I don't know if I spelled correctly. I haven't been there since I was about 16 or 17. It's beautiful. We used to go to the dump at night and watch bears. Turn headlights on and off. Other cars there also. Like a drive in movie. Lol.
That's one of my first encounters with bears. At the dump. It was a weekly Friday and or Saturday affair. And yes it definitely was the local drive-in. My Grandma said don't hunt those for food as you are what you eat. I've been shooting BB on a local Military training base (largest training base in the commonwealth BTW) For ~20 years now. Anyway I've never eaten any bear from there as everything you can imagine for ordnance has been dropped there. Including agent orange spray program back in the 60s; Probably safe but I have plenty of other areas to hunt for food. The "Base Bears" as we call them here often wonder into our community so my spring bear tag usually finds them. My fall tag is food bear. This year I'm banking on a biggy as COVID-19 has allowed Black bears to really take off. Sad the guide industry really suffered; no hunters in from the US but will make future trips much better IMO.

Well that is the premise of one of our major political parties, maybe both of them. That most of their constituents cannot think on their own and must rely on the government for everything. The other premise is that if its spoken by the media or a government official or government entity it must be true.
And to me, if the media or a politician says it, there is a 99% chance it is a lie. 125 yrs ago, Mark Twain said "if you don't pay attention to the news you are uninformed, and if you do pay attention to them, then you are misinformed." Sadly, Nothing has changed in a 125 yrs. Twain also said "suppose you are an idiot and suppose you are a congressman, oh, but I repeat myself. "

Wow, dump bears! My favorite thing in the late summer was to go with my Uncle to the Newcomb dump. He had a big one ton Dodge ram with the emblem on the hood. Used to let me chuck hard marshmallows over the bank and those bears KNEW the sound of that truck! One night we pull in and sure enough my target were waiting. I jumped down to the edge of the bank and threw as hard as I could to momma and cubs. This ****ed the boss of the dump and he reared up on his hind legs blinding himself in the headlights, only a few feet away. He scared the crap out of me and delighted my Uncle who laughed to his last days seeing my eyes as big and saucers as I scrambled back up into that truck. And yes, the bear got the bag of treats I dropped...Smart!

OMG Newcomb! I hunted a long time up in that area over by Tahawus! The Adirondack ghost town! My last hunt there I killed really nice 8 wayyyyy back in the High Peaks Wilderness area that took all day to get out. Thought great idea to hunt so far back in until you are standing over a 200# deer on ground.🤣

I also went to another dump in Persico that was bear patrol. Marshmellows was the preferred feed for them.

Some idiot from New Jersey tried to put his kid on a bear and bear took exception to it. Luckily kid was only scared to level of wet and soggy pants. Yep, it was shut down.
Article on the old dumps sums it up.
LINK:Adirondack Dumps

That's one of my first encounters with bears. At the dump. It was a weekly Friday and or Saturday affair. And yes it definitely was the local drive-in. My Grandma said don't hunt those for food as you are what you eat. I've been shooting BB on a local Military training base (largest training base in the commonwealth BTW) For ~20 years now. Anyway I've never eaten any bear from there as everything you can imagine for ordnance has been dropped there. Including agent orange spray program back in the 60s; Probably safe but I have plenty of other areas to hunt for food. The "Base Bears" as we call them here often wonder into our community so my spring bear tag usually finds them. My fall tag is food bear. This year I'm banking on a biggy as COVID-19 has allowed Black bears to really take off. Sad the guide industry really suffered; no hunters in from the US but will make future trips much better IMO.
That's very interesting and informative. Thanks !

OMG Newcomb! I hunted a long time up in that area over by Tahawus! The Adirondack ghost town! My last hunt there I killed really nice 8 wayyyyy back in the High Peaks Wilderness area that took all day to get out. Thought great idea to hunt so far back in until you are standing over a 200# deer on ground.🤣

I also went to another dump in Persico that was bear patrol. Marshmellows was the preferred feed for them.

Some idiot from New Jersey tried to put his kid on a bear and bear took exception to it. Luckily kid was only scared to level of wet and soggy pants. Yep, it was shut down.
Article on the old dumps sums it up.
LINK:Adirondack Dumps
That's pretty cool ! Last time I was there was 1974. The dump was still open.

Last edited:
I still frequent the dumps. To get all the things people consider junk; cast iron sinks; Anything cast iron really what's wrong with people lol. It still works. When did we decide as a society that our houses needed to loose weight? My neighbor now has two farm-house style cast iron sinks for his camp. Apparently his camp has no problem with the weight gain and it's built on an old rock wall.

I remember a few years ago, my now ex wife , was over at my mothers house , visiting after we got home from work one night. I had gone on home, just next door, to get started at my night job of building bow strings.
She came home about an hour later, shaking all over and very confused.
She recounted her story to me......she had walked out the door at moms house , to a dark porch . She was instantly hit with a very strong goat like smell . She saw a shadow at the dog bowl and assumed it was our very large St Bernard mix, coco, eating . She walked up and started to pet , huh, coco, and instantly realized the course long hair didn't feel anything like our beloved dog, that by the way, was hiding and nowhere to be seen.
When she touched the mysterious dark creature, it instantly spun and dove off the porch and disappeared.
I suspected she had petted a young transient male black bear . Later it was confirmed that a young male was trying to set up residence in our area. We don't have a bear population in this part of Central Georgia , but I've found bear sign on several occasions close to home. DNR says we are in a transition zone for young males on the run from extermination by mature males in the strong populations north and south of us. What I don't get is why we don't sustain a population . Weird.....

I remember a few years ago, my now ex wife , was over at my mothers house , visiting after we got home from work one night. I had gone on home, just next door, to get started at my night job of building bow strings.
She came home about an hour later, shaking all over and very confused.
She recounted her story to me......she had walked out the door at moms house , to a dark porch . She was instantly hit with a very strong goat like smell . She saw a shadow at the dog bowl and assumed it was our very large St Bernard mix, coco, eating . She walked up and started to pet , huh, coco, and instantly realized the course long hair didn't feel anything like our beloved dog, that by the way, was hiding and nowhere to be seen.
When she touched the mysterious dark creature, it instantly spun and dove off the porch and disappeared.
I suspected she had petted a young transient male black bear . Later it was confirmed that a young male was trying to set up residence in our area. We don't have a bear population in this part of Central Georgia , but I've found bear sign on several occasions close to home. DNR says we are in a transition zone for young males on the run from extermination by mature males in the strong populations north and south of us. What I don't get is why we don't sustain a population . Weird.....
Good thing she never asked for a kiss.