Interesting conundrum. Need input.

Bang4theBuck

I went and bought a new 35 Whelen on a whim, amd took it.to.the range last week with factory Winchester 200 grain power points. I got sunbmoa accuracy out of it amd it was chucking the 200 grain bullets at over 2900 fps. So, I really only.bought the factory ammo for plinking amd recovering the brass. Now that I'm setting out to reload for it, I picked up some 180 grain Barnes (all that was available, locally), and when I checked the load data on Hodgdons website, a Max charge of anything made by Hodgdon only yields like 2850 with the 180. Has anyone got any load advice for this cartridge? I'm looking for better performance than what the book data is giving me. Thanks

I went and bought a new 35 Whelen on a whim, amd took it.to.the range last week with factory Winchester 200 grain power points. I got sunbmoa accuracy out of it amd it was chucking the 200 grain bullets at over 2900 fps. So, I really only.bought the factory ammo for plinking amd recovering the brass. Now that I'm setting out to reload for it, I picked up some 180 grain Barnes (all that was available, locally), and when I checked the load data on Hodgdons website, a Max charge of anything made by Hodgdon only yields like 2850 with the 180. Has anyone got any load advice for this cartridge? I'm looking for better performance than what the book data is giving me. Thanks
Thats a heck of a Deer/Bear cartridge.
You might be surprised with handloads and the barrel you now have. You may have a fast barrel and different bearing surface on bullets will give you faster or slower fps. What powder do you have?
I personally load for accuracy and not velocity.

I've got varget, H4350, h1000, RL 26, H4831, IMR 4350, Winchester staball 6.5, Ramshot tac, Accurate 2520( I think that it).

To be honest, I don't ever put velocity in front.of accuracy, but I can usually get both. I always seek a powder that is temp stable as a priority, so to eliminate that viable as.much as possible..

Look on Barnesbullets.com for load data on the 35 Whelan it shows , A-2460 Min load 54gr= 2,700fps up to 60gr of A 2460 = 3,000fps with 180gr TTSX BT OAL 3.231" They don't show any loads for the 8 powders you said ya have there

Barnes data shows the speeds you want but maybe not with the powders you have:
Here is their 180gr data:
Screenshot_20230718-220736_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Copper bullets are longer than CC. Also reloading manuals are a guide landing in a universal safe place. If you wanna shoot a faster accurate load that's on you just work up to get there.

Copper bullets are longer than CC. Also reloading manuals are a guide landing in a universal safe place. If you wanna shoot a faster accurate load that's on you just work up to get there.
With all due respect, I was seeking information from those that have worked this load up, and what success the have had with which powder. I completely expected that there may not be any experienced feedback, but thought I would try. I am a very experienced reloader, and have helped dozens of folks with their loads, but I have no experience with this cartridge. I will, of course do the work up following all the best practices, but if I need to go on a search for specific powders, it sure would be a nice help to know which one's guys have had good experience with. That's what I am after.

With all due respect, I was seeking information from those that have worked this load up, and what success the have had with which powder. I completely expected that there may not be any experienced feedback, but thought I would try. I am a very experienced reloader, and have helped dozens of folks with their loads, but I have no experience with this cartridge. I will, of course do the work up following all the best practices, but if I need to go on a search for specific powders, it sure would be a nice help to know which one's guys have had good experience with. That's what I am after.
I could plug in info into QL, but need more info.
case trim length
bullets to be used
Most powders listed are to slow, except for tac
aa2520 might be marginal?

I could plug in info into QL, but need more info.
case trim length
bullets to be used
Most powders listed are to slow, except for tac
aa2520 might be marginal?
ARLife- Here is the info:
Case trim length is 2.490"
Bullet is Barnes 180 grain TTSX (flat base)
Cartridge overall length would be 3.250"

Looks like the powders that might be accessible are:
Ramshot tac, and Accurate 2460 and H335.

There might be a little more room to push the bullet out of the case little (closer to the lands), so if you could run a couple numbers to tell me how much pressure reduction .010" increments give me (knowing that it isn't exactly linear), that might help too.

Thanks in advance.

ARLife- Here is the info:
Case trim length is 2.490"
Bullet is Barnes 180 grain TTSX (flat base)
Cartridge overall length would be 3.250"

Looks like the powders that might be accessible are:
Ramshot tac, and Accurate 2460 and H335.

There might be a little more room to push the bullet out of the case little (closer to the lands), so if you could run a couple numbers to tell me how much pressure reduction .010" increments give me (knowing that it isn't exactly linear), that might help too.

Thanks in advance.
I don't know how to post like other do for QL results, but it might take awhile?

h335 @ 57.9/3.250" max 24" barrel 2,956fps (depth shows .433") (97.2%)
tac @ 61.0 (103.7% fill) 2,899 fps
aa2460 @ 59.0 (100.5% fill) 2,927fps