Brass Firings Conundrum

just_jon

I was at the range today to test loads with once fired 22-250AI Lapua brass. I have a total of 101 fire formed cases of which I loaded and shot 77 in today's test (5 fouling shots and 72 for OCW). Came away for the range with a great loading and want to reload and head back to the range to confirm drops. Problem is what to do with the 24 once fired brass. Ordinary, I would load them and shoot them first to keep all cases on same number of firings. The problem is that I will need more than 24 rounds to confirm drops.

I was at the range today to test loads with once fired 22-250AI Lapua brass. I have a total of 101 fire formed cases of which I loaded and shot 77 in today's test (5 fouling shots and 72 for OCW). Came away for the range with a great loading and want to reload and head back to the range to confirm drops. Problem is what to do with the 24 once fired brass. Ordinary, I would load them and shoot them first to keep all cases on same number of firings. The problem is that I will need more than 24 rounds to confirm drops.

1 - Never shoot an odd number of cases.

2 - Throw away the 25, and another 26 of the twice fired, so you will have an even number of cases (50), all fired the same number of times.

3 - Only test 24 loads so your cases all have been fired the exact same amount.

4 - Stop being Anal Obsessive Compulsive. Load what you need. Shoot them... enjoy life.

I don't think it will matter much. Your cases are going to far outlast your barrel at the rate you are going. 77 shots from a 22-250AI in one setting will provide you with 800-1000 usually shots with which you've already used almost a quarter of the barrel life. I used five range sessions to form 100 pieces of brass and did load development in the next 20 rounds. Maybe I'm lucky, but I know the limitations of the round and settle for good enough rather than best. I'm sure I could tighten it up even more, but I routinely shoot under half MOA and that's all I need.

Once the barrel is toast I will have another spun up and use the current one to form just as much brass as I want so there's even less abuse to the new barrel.

Record the max number of firings on the box. Then when you hit your number....anneal with your Annealeez. It only takes a minute to setup and anneal 50 cases.

All good advice, I mark firing numbers in sharpie on all cases till I load again. Geez don't throw lapua brass away cause you didn't shoot all the same number of times. Good Shooting and enjoy your gun. Mine just hit 1200 and still gets in the one's so barrel life isn't in stone either, just chase the throat if you have to.

Thanks fo the input. I anneal after every firing, but my OCD never allowed stop tracking firings.

For the record, the 77 rounds were fired over a 5 hour period out of a 1" bull barrel. I got over 1800 out of my last 1" bull barrel from loads running over 4300 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts